+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bad are Man United?

Re: How bad are Man United?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't know, but I guess it depends what periods we're talking about. The side with the best average flip-flopped a few times in the 60's and 70's:

64/65 - Man Utd
    65/66 - Liverpool
    66/67 - Man Utd
    67/68 - Man Utd
    68/69 - Man Utd
    69/70 - Man Utd
    70/71 - Liverpool
    71/72 - Liverpool
    72/73 - Man Utd

Then it was United every year until:

87/88 - Liverpool
    88/89 - Liverpool
    89/90 - Man Utd
    90/91 - Man Utd
    91/92 - Man Utd
    92/93 - Liverpool
    93/94 - Man Utd
    They seem like glory hunting plastics?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I don't think football was a high priority for the Manchester players, after the very sad news earlier in the day.
    Yet their manager was scathing about the team’s performance- your suggestion would carry more weight if it wasn’t for performances like their recent one at Everton.

75/76 - Div 1 - 27,836
    76/77 - Div 1 - 30,173 (relegated)
    77/78 - Div 2 - 33,417 (promoted)
    78/79 - Div 1 - 34,902
    Spurs’ average gates were in the mid twenty thousands for 73/74 and 74/75 as well, while Arsenal’s were around the thirty thousand mark in the same period. I often watch the Big Match revisited and there are frequently gaps on the terraces for games they showed at Highbury and White Hart Lane during that period.

The famous European nights at anfield often saw gates of 30 odd thousand , nowhere near capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm not sure they averaged the biggest home atendances that season. I'm sure Liverpool would have been higher than theirs was.

There is a very good reason why the Utd game it home in August 1974 has reached mythical proportions. Here are two reviews of that game, both from the Man Utd perspective. In the 2nd paragraph of the first article the writer states:

Our supporters would descend on the rival town or city and take it over. Trains, coaches, cars from all over Britain would arrive throughout matchday. Rival fans were overawed. There would be exceptions, some rival supporters decided to stand in the way of this Red tide. Cardiff City on a bright, sunny August day in 1974 were the first.

https://strettynews.com/2013/11/24/t...-39-years-ago/

The second contains descriptions of characters that a few of our older fans may recognise:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/card...d-1974.158684/
    I remember that game. There was a cartoon in a paper where the UN were policing the game.

Guess the writer get his order wrong here:

"This was Wales v England, glamour hooligans v frustrated plain Jane thugs"

and wanted to say they were the Fulham of trouble.

Man Utd's average (in the Second Division) was higher than Liverpool's average (in the First Division) by approximately 2,400. They were the best-supported side in the country.
    Thanks for that. It does surprise me that Man Utd in the old 2nd Division (despite the fact they went up as Champions if memory serves me well) had a higher average crowd than Liverpool's. who were doing well (does nothing ever change!) in the 1st division.

Just checked, Liverpool finished 2nd to Derby County, that season, 74/75

Thanks for that. It does surprise me that Man Utd in the old 2nd Division (despite the fact they went up as Champions if memory serves me well) had a higher average crowd than Liverpool's. who were doing well (does nothing ever change!) in the 1st division.

Just checked, Liverpool finished 2nd to Derby County, that season, 74/75
    United were getting 58000 whilst Liverpool were getting 39000 , even in the Liverpool glory years

I hate both of them and when they play each other I want both of them to lose

But United have always had bigger support . They say that if Liverpool built a 70000 stadium they would fill it but put 15000 more seats in old Trafford and they would get 90000 gates I am sure . Plastic gits the pair of them .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yet their manager was scathing about the team’s performance- your suggestion would carry more weight if it wasn’t for performances like their recent one at Everton.
    He was wrong to do that and Man Utd's inconsistencies have been there all season, and a long time before that. The only solution to their problems is a complete overhaul of the playing staff and the coaching team.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    United were getting 58000 whilst Liverpool were getting 39000 , even in the Liverpool glory years

I hate both of them and when they play each other I want both of them to lose

But United have always had bigger support . They say that if Liverpool built a 70000 stadium they would fill it but put 15000 more seats in old Trafford and they would get 90000 gates I am sure . Plastic gits the pair of them .
    I hate both of them too, with a passion. Have come across literally hundreds of Man Utd and Liverpool 'fans' over the years. None of the kents have ever come from greater Manchester or Merseyside. Muppets!!

I got to admit I enjoy Liverpool giving Man Ure a bit of a tonking the other night though. Let's hope this Den Haag bloke, or whatever he is called, can further diminish the club's reputation

Oh, and I do not want Liverpool to win another competition this season. Whoever they are up against I will be cheering on for the opposition

I hate both of them too, with a passion. Have come across literally hundreds of Man Utd and Liverpool 'fans' over the years. None of the kents have ever come from greater Manchester or Merseyside. Muppets!!

I got to admit I enjoy Liverpool giving Man Ure a bit of a tonking the other night though. Let's hope this Den Haag bloke, or whatever he is called, can further diminish the club's reputation

Oh, and I do not want Liverpool to win another competition this season. Whoever they are up against I will be cheering on for the opposition
    My only dilemma with all of this is Man City - a club that has only burst onto the big stage because of mega wealthy owners. I'm quite happy with them losing every game as well.

Out of all the options, I have less of an issue with Liverpool winning an unprecedented quadruple. My dislike of Man Utd is far deeper than any of the others and for them to have to live with their biggest rivals being able to have that over them would be slightly amusing.

The correct answer to ‘How bad are Man Utd?’ Is ‘Not bad enough, yet’. I sincerely hope there is worse to come for them.

I quite like the fact that Man City are lording it over them now, regardless of them winning the lottery (as their fans describe it). They’ve stuck by Man City through some tough times, times when it must have been sickening to go to school/work on a Monday morning very often. Even going for a pint in a ‘mixed’ pub must have been torture and as for the other lot parading League & European trophies through the streets!!!! And the Citizens sticking it up Liverpool, hopefully, is a double whammy.

Man City have always been a big club alongside Wednesday , Sunderland , Newcastle etc

They don't have the plastic following of United and Liverpool but who would want those clowns ?

I always respected Man City. I still respect their fans. But they got the golden ticket. Just like Chelsea. Who's next?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I always respected Man City. I still respect their fans. But they got the golden ticket. Just like Chelsea. Who's next?
    Man City leave me cold - for a team packed full of stars and who play incredible football they're just a bit meh.
    Theres just something boring about their clinical efficiency.

I think I'd rather see Chelsea and Man City fail than Liverpool and Man Utd these days

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Man City leave me cold - for a team packed full of stars and who play incredible football they're just a bit meh.
    Theres just something boring about their clinical efficiency.

I think I'd rather see Chelsea and Man City fail than Liverpool and Man Utd these days
    I agree with you. My post was badly worded, it should have said "I used to respect Man City". I still don't give Liverpool and especially Man Utd a pass. I can't really think of a team outside of the top 7 who I'd be happy to see win the league. In other news, I now want Everton to be relegated. It's probably the most exciting thing going on right now.

I agree with you. My post was badly worded, it should have said "I used to respect Man City". I still don't give Liverpool and especially Man Utd a pass. I can't really think of a team outside of the top 7 who I'd be happy to see win the league. In other news, I now want Everton to be relegated. It's probably the most exciting thing going on right now.
    yes everton going down would be hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes everton going down would be hilarious
    Agreed. Also it'll be interesting to see how Man City fare when Pep leaves

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Agreed. Also it'll be interesting to see how Man City fare when Pep leaves
    Pep just said he wanted to stay "for life". It will interesting to see how many clubs are as rich as Man City when he leaves.

First time I have ever taken an interest in the prem league, unless of course, we have been there. Here's hoping Burnley can do it and stay up!!

I hate them all except Norwich, Burnley , Watford , Brentford , Leicester

The rest can all feck off and I love it when those clubs get one over on the big boys

Would love to see Everton go down and stay down . Its never going to happen to the likes of Liverpool but I am allowed to dream

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I hate them all except Norwich, Burnley , Watford , Brentford , Leicester

The rest can all feck off and I love it when those clubs get one over on the big boys

Would love to see Everton go down and stay down . Its never going to happen to the likes of Liverpool but I am allowed to dream
    What about Southampton and Brighton?

Not big clubs but clubs City should look at and aspire to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Cardiff City are potentially bigger than both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Cardiff City are potentially bigger than both of those.
    Hmmm...

Potentially maybe?

Historically, does it matter?

Currently, City are ****ing light years behind them.

I forgot about them

Both bigger clubs than us

Hmmm...

Potentially maybe?

Historically, does it matter?

Currently, City are ****ing light years behind them.
    We are

And we are way behind that white nonsense up the road too