+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 2020/21 Financial Results - Swiss Ramble

Cardiff City 2020/21 Financial Results - Swiss Ramble

Always enjoyed Swiss Ramble's financial summaries. They just posted a long thread on us, how we compare to other teams etc.:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...66181901373442

Re: Cardiff City 2020/21 Financial Results - Swiss Ramble

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Always enjoyed Swiss Ramble's financial summaries. They just posted a long thread on us, how we compare to other teams etc.:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...66181901373442
    Thanks

Interesting that the provision for Sala is £20m!

seems like a mixed bag is my very non expert opinion

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Interesting that the provision for Sala is £20m!
    Transfer fee plus legal costs ?

Thanks for that, surprised by how high the wage bill was and our transfer receipts figure says so much about club policy since Vincent Tan took over.

#CardiffCity average attendance in 2019/20 (for games played with fans) was 22,746, which was 7th highest in the Championship. However, this was 8,663 (28%) lower than the 41,409 they achieved in the Premier League, which the club said was “a direct result of relegation”.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    #CardiffCity average attendance in 2019/20 (for games played with fans) was 22,746, which was 7th highest in the Championship. However, this was 8,663 (28%) lower than the 41,409 they achieved in the Premier League, which the club said was “a direct result of relegation”.

clearly a typo as the graphic has 31,409

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    clearly a typo as the graphic has 31,409
    Doesn't fill one full of confidence in what they say does it, if they cant even get basic figures correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Doesn't fill one full of confidence in what they say does it, if they cant even get basic figures correct.
    I think that's a bit harsh

I spotted that but felt that it was obviously a typo and one in a narrative that long isn't bad - oh to live in a perfect world eh

seems like a mixed bag is my very non expert opinion
    Agreed some positives and some negatives but we also know there some expensive mistakes in the past which we will hopefully recover from with some prudent management going forward

I wonder what Stoke and Derby are doing to have such high commercial income - more than double what we get.
    That extra 6m or so would probably come in very useful in a post-parachute payment world.

Derby seem to have very high match day income as well - they do have more fans than a lot of teams, but not that much more.

the NEXT set of results (presumably around this time next year) is where we will see our revenue drop off a cliff after losing parachute money.

It seems as though in these results the club are already trying to take steps to prepare for that shock, so hopefully it won't be too bad.
    It is clear though that in the season presented here we had what the 4th highest income, but we were nowhere near the 4th best side. The financial advantage we had following relegation from the premier league has been completely squandered.
    In fairness to the club, at least they appear to have recognised this and have started to take steps to cut costs even during this last year of parachute money rather than going for broke to get re-promoted like some clubs and ending up with points deductions etc.

Doesn't fill one full of confidence if you can't get basic punctuation correct.

Swiss ramble has been posting great stuff on clubs finances for years it’s just a typo.

What strikes me is the lack of transfer profit on player sales in the last ten years. If we made even £5m per year ( seems the average for a championship club ) then the overall finances would look fairly stable.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Swiss ramble has been posting great stuff on clubs finances for years it’s just a typo.

What strikes me is the lack of transfer profit on player sales in the last ten years. If we made even £5m per year ( seems the average for a championship club ) then the overall finances would look fairly stable.
    yeah it's been a massive weakness for the club for years, in both our transfer policies and attitude towards bringing youth players through.

More recently we tentatively seem to have made some improvements in both areas, hopefully the youth pipeline continues and some of the players mature into some valuable assets for the club, and the transfer policy seems to be mostly : Loans, free transfers and younger players from lower leagues who could increase in value - which seems sensible tbh.

That said some pundits thought our premier league signings of bobby Reid and Josh Murphy were very sensible business, as they were both young, potential to improve, good championship players if we went back down and if they did well in the premier league we would have got many times our initial investment for them. That obviously didn't count on a couple of seasons of Warnockball turning Murphy into a shell of a player he previously was.

That said some pundits thought our premier league signings of bobby Reid and Josh Murphy were very sensible business, as they were both young, potential to improve, good championship players if we went back down and if they did well in the premier league we would have got many times our initial investment for them. That obviously didn't count on a couple of seasons of Warnockball turning Murphy into a shell of a player he previously was.
    Yes, the signings of 2 young talented top end championship players in Murphy and Reid did seem to make sense at the time ( even if the fees were pretty high, especially in Murphy’s case). However we seemed to not know what to do or where to play Reid and knocked any semblance of a footballer out of Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes, the signings of 2 young talented top end championship players in Murphy and Reid did seem to make sense at the time ( even if the fees were pretty high, especially in Murphy’s case). However we seemed to not know what to do or where to play Reid and knocked any semblance of a footballer out of Murphy
    I wouldn’t wish for the club to resign Bobby Reid though even if he became available ( not that we could afford him)

I wouldn’t wish for the club to resign Bobby Reid though even if he became available ( not that we could afford him)
    no, he's 29 now and definitely doesn't fit the description of someone who will increase in value now.
    He's had a good season though at this level, we certainly didn't use him well.

Good post. Totally agree. I have thought for sometime we have been unfortunate not to have had a quality player going out at a good price each season or two. The instances we have been in such a position over the years I.e, Zahore, Etheridge, Marshall and most recently Moore. The club decided to show some ambition, avoid fan uproar and hang on to them. Only to see their value dwindle and in some cases get slatted for not selling them earlier for better money. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. I wonder what sort of financial position the Jacks would have been in, if they had not been knocking quality players out for big bucks over the years.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Good post. Totally agree. I have thought for sometime we have been unfortunate not to have had a quality player going out at a good price each season or two. The instances we have been in such a position over the years I.e, Zahore, Etheridge, Marshall and most recently Moore. The club decided to show some ambition, avoid fan uproar and hang on to them. Only to see their value dwindle and in some cases get slatted for not selling them earlier for better money. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. I wonder what sort of financial position the Jacks would have been in, if they had not been knocking quality players out for big bucks over the years.
    Spedger
    I agree with your general point, but Ken Zohore was sold to WBA for a reported £8m. That was genius by the club!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with your general point, but Ken Zohore was sold to WBA for a reported £8m. That was genius by the club!
    I know it was a few seasons back but Joe Mason to Wolves was a hell of a deal for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We could have probably got 20 for him at his peak.

He was phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    We could have probably got 20 for him at his peak.

He was phenomenal
    And we got promoted. It was worth holding onto him.