+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Cooper and Nathan Jones.

Steve Cooper and Nathan Jones.

Very likely to be in the Championship Play Offs this season and both City fans - do you think one or both of them will ever manage us?

I think it’s a possibility with the latter, but very unlikely with the former because of the Swansea connection and a feeling that he is bound for better things in the short to medium term at least.

Re: Steve Cooper and Nathan Jones.

You never know - the average tenure of a football manager is something like 18 months, so there's a good chance they've both got a few more clubs in them.

It's funny how it goes sometimes though, I can remember George Burley getting Ipswich promoted and then into Europe, and winning the premier league manager of the year award, a few years later and he couldn't seem to get a job at all

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Very likely to be in the Championship Play Offs this season and both City fans - do you think one or both of them will ever manage us?

I think it’s a possibility with the latter, but very unlikely with the former because of the Swansea connection and a feeling that he is bound for better things in the short to medium term at least.
    If either manager takes their team into the premier league, that team I am sure would struggle. Hence them getting the sack. We should beg for that manager to come to us should that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's funny how it goes sometimes though, I can remember George Burley getting Ipswich promoted and then into Europe, and winning the premier league manager of the year award, a few years later and he couldn't seem to get a job at all
    Apart from the jobs at Derby, Hearts, Southampton, Crystal Palace and with the Scottish national team….

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Apart from the jobs at Derby, Hearts, Southampton, Crystal Palace and with the Scottish national team….
    Yes, that's why I said "after a few years"
    It must be exhausting always being that literal

He was only in charge of Hearts for 10 games, scotland 14 and Palace for about half a season, and hasn't had any kind of managerial role for the last 10 years, it still seems like a fairly rapid decline for someone who was declared the best manager in the country.

Yes, that's why I said "after a few years"
    It must be exhausting always being that literal

He was only in charge of Hearts for 10 games, scotland 14 and Palace for about half a season, and hasn't had any kind of managerial role for the last 10 years, it still seems like a fairly rapid decline for someone who was declared the best manager in the country.
    Do most managers have a shelf life beyond which they, for example, experience physical burn out, their message starts to come across as old hat among players who never saw them play or a loss of nerve? As you say it seems George Burley went from bright, young manager to over the top has been pretty quickly.

Millwall fans will tell you that Mick McCarthy’s side in his first managerial job played an attractive, passing game. Twenty odd years later, his Cardiff side was doing the complete opposite and was, if anything, even more one dimensional than Slade, Warnock or Harris’ teams. Despite the bluff exterior, NcCarthy seemed a broken man in the final weeks of his time with us - McCarthy looked like someone who was past his sell by date.

Yes, that's why I said "after a few years" It must be exhausting always being that literal
    In fairness, you were talking bollocks. Burley left Ipswich in 2002. He was managing Palace in 2011 and had various jobs in between. He just didn’t do well in any of them, hence the fact that he ran out of chances.

Nathan Jones on his love of Cardiff City.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-love-23722410

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We are like a graveyard though, what even happens to people who’ve managed us? Slade, Trollope, Dave jones, malky, Harris….even OGS only got a big job again because of his utd connections.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We are like a graveyard though, what even happens to people who’ve managed us? Slade, Trollope, Dave jones, malky, Harris….even OGS only got a big job again because of his utd connections.
    You can go back further than that - have we ever had a manager go on to a big job after managing us?

Warnock going to Middlesborough?

You can go back further than that - have we ever had a manager go on to a big job after managing us?

Warnock going to Middlesborough?
    Len Ashurst to Sunderland is the last one I can think of and that’s close to forty years ago.

Didnt Phil Neal quit to go as assistant at Man City.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes

International

Recently it's the same with most of the players that leave, not many shine other than loanees like Wilson.

I suppose that's partly because we've become Bristol City's ex players care home.

I wonder if the players read this board and if so are they as bemused as some of us are, seeing these rival managers being touted for their boss's job. It would make more sense if the team had clung on to safety by their fingernails and the board were not convinced by Morison's stewardship. But that's not the case. He has been given the opportunity to take the club forward and we should let him get on with it, without speculating on future candidates for the managerial role, which is premature and rather pointless.

Nathan Jones future Cardiff Manager

Steve Cooper future Wales manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I wonder if the players read this board and if so are they as bemused as some of us are, seeing these rival managers being touted for their boss's job. It would make more sense if the team had clung on to safety by their fingernails and the board were not convinced by Morison's stewardship. But that's not the case. He has been given the opportunity to take the club forward and we should let him get on with it, without speculating on future candidates for the managerial role, which is premature and rather pointless.

This this and this again

Wonder what will happen in a year or so once the fate of forest and Luton have been decided and SM has had a full season - I hope that we have the better of the three managers

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wasn’t he one of the worst managers we ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Nathan Jones future Cardiff Manager

Steve Cooper future Wales manager.
    Yes to both!

I started this thread asking whether either of them would ever manage us, I wasn’t advocating that one of them should take over from Steve Morison - I’ve got a few reservations about him, but accept that he’s earned his chance after completing the task he was set when he took over.

Morison OUT, Jones IN.

What an opportunity it is this summer to change our style of play with what is going to be a massive turnover of players. Out with the old, in with the new.

We could be giving that opportunity to someone like Jones, someone who already has experience building a Championship side to play good football, instead we are giving this golden chance to someone who likes to talk a good game, and says he wants to play good football, but doesnt seem to have the tactical nous to put his words into action.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Morison OUT, Jones IN.

What an opportunity it is this summer to change our style of play with what is going to be a massive turnover of players. Out with the old, in with the new.

We could be giving that opportunity to someone like Jones, someone who already has experience building a Championship side to play good football, instead we are giving this golden chance to someone who likes to talk a good game, and says he wants to play good football, but doesnt seem to have the tactical nous to put his words into action.
    do Luton play good football?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Morison OUT, Jones IN.

Thing is, you are judging Morison on his ability to get a team to play a better quality football when he is basically stuck with a group of players that he didn't sign. He is having to get players to try to do things they are not comfortable with. The players he did bring in last January are all better quality players with pace and technical ability which gives a good indication of the direction we will be going in next season. Your criticism of Morison is therefore biased, unbalanced and very unfair. Plus, you think that Luton play ‘good football’ ? Even Jones acknowledged that they are punching well above their weight. There was only one team lumping long balls up the middle last Monday and it wasn’t City.