+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third Umpire Call for Boris

Re: Third Umpire Call for Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    But he hasn't been charged. He would have been charged if he refused to pay the fine and gone to a magistrates court.

Much as many may like it to be so, he is not a criminal.
    He's banged to rights.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    He was charged with an offence under the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.

He was offered the opportunity of discharging any liability to conviction for the offence by payment of a fixed penalty. If he accepted that there was no need for a court appearance to argue his guilt or innocence. His agreement to pay the fine under the fixed penalty notice means he will not have a criminal record.

This shouldn't be this tricky.
    What shouldn't be this tricky?

Can't I have a different opinion as to whether a fine is a criminal charge or not? I think the actual charge comes at the next stage if you refuse to pay and then go to the magistrates court. I hav spoken to a couple of people I know who have studied the law and agree with me.

If you have a legal background and can prove me wrong then please do so. I have actually found little on the internet either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What shouldn't be this tricky?

Can't I have a different opinion as to whether a fine is a criminal charge or not? I think the actual charge comes at the next stage if you refuse to pay and then go to the magistrates court. I hav spoken to a couple of people I know who have studied the law and agree with me.

If you have a legal background and can prove me wrong then please do so. I have actually found little on the internet either way.
    Apologies,

I believe you are right.

This article best explains the process. It is the second stage the Single Justice Procedure that triggers the charge.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...e-b980036.html

It looks like it was tricky after all!!