Thread: Happy St Fred’s Day

Happy St Fred’s Day

To all City fans

Re: Happy St Fred’s Day

👍

certainly

While we were raising the money to get the Fred Keenor statue built, I can remember we did a bucket collection outside the stadium before a game against Sheffield United. Plenty of City supporters made donations, but the vast majority just walked past and, believe it or not, some even dished out a few insults about the Trust and those of us who were doing the collection.

However, a small group of Sheffield fans stopped and one of them knew all about Keenor and the 1925 FA Cup final, when the Blades beat City 1-0 at Wembley. He wished me good luck, donated a tenner and insisted that his mates chucked in a few quid too. I'll never forget that as I was on the point of walking back to the Trust office and giving up the collection when they arrived due to the snide comments from some of the morons who'd walked past wearing City colours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    While we were raising the money to get the Fred Keenor statue built, I can remember we did a bucket collection outside the stadium before a game against Sheffield United. Plenty of City supporters made donations, but the vast majority just walked past and, believe it or not, some even dished out a few insults about the Trust and those of us who were doing the collection.

However, a small group of Sheffield fans stopped and one of them knew all about Keenor and the 1925 FA Cup final, when the Blades beat City 1-0 at Wembley. He wished me good luck, donated a tenner and insisted that his mates chucked in a few quid too. I'll never forget that as I was on the point of walking back to the Trust office and giving up the collection when they arrived due to the snide comments from some of the morons who'd walked past wearing City colours.
    There are some dick heads about arent there.

Why would anyone give snide comments about anyone making a collection for a Fred Keenor statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Why would anyone give snide comments about anyone making a collection for a Fred Keenor statue.
    One guy, middle-aged, well-dressed, heading towards the Grandstand, said loudly to his missus and anyone within earshot as he walked past: “Don’t give those bastards a penny, it all goes straight in their pockets.”

I couldn’t believe it. I’d already had bits and pieces of abuse about the Trust from passers-by, but that particular comment not only shocked me but really pissed me off. Thankfully, the Sheffield guys came along shortly afterwards and restored my faith a bit.

The amount of time and effort it took to raise the money for the statue, the general opposition to the Trust and the reaction to the rebranding spoke volumes about City’s fanbase. Those two or three years were really tough going and a significant learning curve for me personally.

There are a large number of fans at Cardiff City who want someone else to get them tickets , someone else to drive the minibus , someone else to act on their behalf but are not prepared to do diddley squat about it themselves

And then spend their time slagging off people actually doing something

You get this bullshit in all walks of life , the local golf club , parents at school never contributing but expecting the best for their child etc but at Cardiff City some of our fans are complete and utter tossers

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    One guy, middle-aged, well-dressed, heading towards the Grandstand, said loudly to his missus and anyone within earshot as he walked past: “Don’t give those bastards a penny, it all goes straight in their pockets.”

I couldn’t believe it. I’d already had bits and pieces of abuse about the Trust from passers-by, but that particular comment not only shocked me but really pissed me off. Thankfully, the Sheffield guys came along shortly afterwards and restored my faith a bit.

The amount of time and effort it took to raise the money for the statue, the general opposition to the Trust and the reaction to the rebranding spoke volumes about City’s fanbase. Those two or three years were really tough going and a significant learning curve for me personally.
    Sadly, times have not changed that much. Recently the Trust provided a number of volunteers for the Ukraine bucket collection at CCS. Whilst many gave happily a small minority were abusive - “F*ck Ukraine” being one of the more disturbing responses.

It only occurred to me late last night, that this was referring to CCFC winning the FA Cup on 23 April 1927, all of 95 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It only occurred to me late last night, that this was referring to CCFC winning the FA Cup on 23 April 1927, all of 95 years ago.
    The lack of St George’s day acknowledgement was evident yesterday on English media, perhaps St Fred’s day has an opening here.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The lack of St George’s day acknowledgement was evident yesterday on English media, perhaps St Fred’s day has an opening here.

Paddy, Andy and Dai get way more recognition in the Celtic nations. Georgie barely gets a mention - and I didn't see anyone wearing a rose on TV