+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How big will our squad be for the 1st game?

How big will our squad be for the 1st game?

Just looking at the dates for next season. The opening game is on 30th July (earlier start to accommodate the world cup) and the transfer window closes 1st September.
    I'm sure the club will try to get their business done early, but it's always busier at the end of the window, especially for loans, as clubs make decisions on who to send out once they've filled their own squads.
    I reckon this year we'll also see players holding out for higher wages until they realise they're not going to get them, then signing for whatever they can get late on in the window.
    Could be an issue for all clubs, but especially so for one that needs an almost complete rebuild. It might be that we don't have a full sized squad until a month into the season.

International

Re: How big will our squad be for the 1st game?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Just looking at the dates for next season. The opening game is on 30th July (earlier start to accommodate the world cup) and the transfer window closes 1st September.
    I'm sure the club will try to get their business done early, but it's always busier at the end of the window, especially for loans, as clubs make decisions on who to send out once they've filled their own squads.
    I reckon this year we'll also see players holding out for higher wages until they realise they're not going to get them, then signing for whatever they can get late on in the window.
    Could be an issue for all clubs, but especially so for one that needs an almost complete rebuild. It might be that we don't have a full sized squad until a month into the season.

It could be a problem but the same for most clubs, and if the last Morison window is anything to go by, he was very organised and did a great job, lets hope for more of the same!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It could be a problem but the same for most clubs, and if the last Morison window is anything to go by, he was very organised and did a great job, lets hope for more of the same!
    Yeah, January was impressive. The overhaul is long overdue too.

As it stands we can just about scrape together a team.

Phillips

Ng Nelson McGuiness Bagan

Wintle King

Colwill Davies

Watters Collins

Harris
    Denham
    Bowen
    on the bench + some of the loaned out players returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    As it stands we can just about scrape together a team.

Phillips

Ng Nelson McGuiness Bagan

Wintle King

Colwill Davies

Watters Collins

Harris
    Denham
    Bowen
    on the bench + some of the loaned out players returning.
    Harris would start over Collins! I'm not even sure Collins would make the bench if we have 5 more kids to fill it with Morison in charge.

What were our numbers when Malky took over, weren’t we thin on the ground then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Harris would start over Collins! I'm not even sure Collins would make the bench if we have 5 more kids to fill it with Morison in charge.
    yeah I'm not going to disagree with that

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We had quite a lot of players leave at the same time as DJ, but we still had a really strong spine for this level, It wasn't anywhere near as big a rebuild IMO.

we had
    Marshall, Heaton
    Hudson, Gyepes, Gerrard, Blake, Quinn, Naylor, McNaughton
    Whittingham, McPhail,

Defence was more or less there, and 2 absolute quality midfielders at this level already here. We did need strikers and more midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We had quite a lot of players leave at the same time as DJ, but we still had a really strong spine for this level, It wasn't anywhere near as big a rebuild IMO.

we had
    Marshall, Heaton
    Hudson, Gyepes, Gerrard, Blake, Quinn, Naylor, McNaughton
    Whittingham, McPhail,

Defence was more or less there, and 2 absolute quality midfielders at this level already here. We did need strikers and more midfielders.
    1 absolute quality midfielder in reality.

Mcphail played little part in Malkys rebuild.

Looking at the squad Malky inherited.

Marshall Hudson McNaughton Whittingam were key players. Other surplus to requirements/time to move on.

Malkys rebuild was incredible in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I seem to remember reading that we had ten senior under contract players - think we were probably able to offer more comparatively under Malky than we’ll be able to in the summer unless the court cases irk out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I seem to remember reading that we had ten senior under contract players - think we were probably able to offer more comparatively under Malky than we’ll be able to in the summer unless the court cases irk out really well.
    Mackay also had the knowledge of everyone Watford were going to buy, and all the clauses in Watford's contracts (so we could get Cowie etc on a free!)