+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: SHEFFIELD UTD 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: SHEFFIELD UTD V CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We played quite well for several games by getting our wing-backs high up the pitch in attacking areas, but opposition teams have worked that out and we've looked pretty clueless since then.
    That might be because they know we don't have the talent to play through the lines with enough speed of thought to threaten them so stifle the width where we had pace.

Also Bagan is no longer the threatening wing back lashing in 20 yard curlers because he is still developing.

We have promise but we need a Mcphail and a fox in the box to get onto a pass from the midfield third. Easy to say less easy to deliver but gladly we have the opportunity to rid ourselves of the rump end of the Warnock era of overpaid underperforming aging Championship players and move on.

Next season is probably the most critical for a couple of decades. Get it right and we can get behind a team that builds on a youth structure so are fans comfortable that finances mean we are a selling rather than a buying club if we need to make a profit on players like Colwill and Davies.

At the moment I quite like the idea that Morison is trading short term results in a dead season to evaluate shape and personnel. The worry is that the loan market lottery is likely to dictate how well we do next year.

Re: FT: SHEFFIELD UTD 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    How did Watters play today?
    He butchered the two early chances we got (could have been 2 - 0 up after 10 minutes) but in general he played OK.

His pressing was better than last time I saw him.

Some thoughts on today. Feel free to disregard if they are nonsense.

Watters needs a goal. Spurned two decent chances early on but looked quite sharp and up for it.

What's happened to Bagan. He's had a topsy turvy season. From awkwardly poor to sublime to back to being poor. I guess that is how youngsters are often, especially when there aren't many leaders out there.

We actually passed the ball well for much of the game although our best passing was done in our own half. I am though encouraged that we can play ourselves out of trouble and look much more confident on the ball.

Going forward we really lack guile and pace. Apart from a few decent moves we offered very little. This was highlighted further when Cody went off and then we had almost zero pace in the team.

Lots of work for Morison to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    At the moment I quite like the idea that Morison is trading short term results in a dead season to evaluate shape and personnel.
    I don’t think he’s doing anything of the sort. I think he’s trying to win games with the players he has at his disposal and he’s currently failing.

I genuinely don’t believe Morison’s approach is any different now than it was a couple of months ago. He’s not trading results for experimental line-ups. He’s just losing games. I think it’s as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don’t think he’s doing anything of the sort. I think he’s trying to win games with the players he has at his disposal and he’s currently failing.

I genuinely don’t believe Morison’s approach is any different now than it was a couple of months ago. He’s not trading results for experimental line-ups. He’s just losing games. I think it’s as simple as that.
    You think that if we weren't safe he would have played Denham today rather than Aiden Flint?

You think that if we weren't safe he would have played Denham today rather than Aiden Flint?
    Who knows? He’s made all sorts of changes to his line-ups on a regular basis ever since he got the job. Whatever you can say about him, he’s not predictable in terms of his team selections.

Probably not, but that's hardly an experiment in my opinion.

Who knows? He’s made all sorts of changes to his line-ups on a regular basis ever since he got the job. Whatever you can say about him, he’s not predictable in terms of his team selections.
    We haven't had a manager mess about with team selections as much since Solskjaer.

OK. We are at risk of going down. I know I'll swap Smithies for Phillips.

He's an erratic young manager trying to move on from the dinosaur football I've trundled down to watch for the last few years. I dislike him as a person but in the first half I saw football that at least had a place in the 21st Century.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Probably not, but that's hardly an experiment in my opinion.
    Aiden Flint has played around 400 competitive league games. Denham has one. If it was a vital relegation game you thought it was hardly an experiment?

Aiden Flint has played around 400 competitive league games. Denham has one. If it was a vital relegation game you thought it was hardly an experiment?
    A like for like change isn't an experiment. If Denham was put in Midfield then i would agree.

A like for like change isn't an experiment. If Denham was put in Midfield then i would agree.
    You don't have to put the same mixture into the same test tube to conduct an experiment. It's like saying I could play Flint's role but it's not an experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He butchered the two early chances we got (could have been 2 - 0 up after 10 minutes) but in general he played OK.

His pressing was better than last time I saw him.
    Thank you 🙏

You don't have to put the same mixture into the same test tube to conduct an experiment. It's like saying I could play Flint's role but it's not an experiment!
    That's how you see it, fair enough. I don't. Denham is a central Defender, he was playing the same role as Flint would in most cases. Obviously there are differences with their game, but apart from experience, it's a like for like change. To me, that isn't an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Some thoughts on today. Feel free to disregard if they are nonsense.

Watters needs a goal. Spurned two decent chances early on but looked quite sharp and up for it.

What's happened to Bagan. He's had a topsy turvy season. From awkwardly poor to sublime to back to being poor. I guess that is how youngsters are often, especially when there aren't many leaders out there.

We actually passed the ball well for much of the game although our best passing was done in our own half. I am though encouraged that we can play ourselves out of trouble and look much more confident on the ball.

Going forward we really lack guile and pace. Apart from a few decent moves we offered very little. This was highlighted further when Cody went off and then we had almost zero pace in the team.

Lots of work for Morison to do.
    We've said all along that's how the youngsters are likely to be for a while - ups and downs, the thing that will make the biggest difference are the ones who can keep improving and bouncing back when they have some poor form

That's how you see it, fair enough. I don't. Denham is a central Defender, he was playing the same role as Flint would in most cases. Obviously there are differences with their game, but apart from experience, it's a like for like change. To me, that isn't an experiment.
    So to come back to the original point. We could go down based on this game. Who do you pick? Aiden Flint, 400 games as a pro or (experiment, my words) with Denham?

The free pass Morison gets on here from some posters is truly astonishing.

For all his arrogance and confidence he is massively out of his depth and not the man for such an important rebuild in the summer.

So to come back to the original point. We could go down based on this game. Who do you pick? Aiden Flint, 400 games as a pro or (experiment, my words) with Denham?
    Probably Flint based on experience.

Morison has to rebuild a team in the next few months. Whatever he feels he wants to do between now and the end of the season is fine by me. If it doesn't work, at least he knows it doesn't work.

Probably Flint based on experience.
    I was being clumsy with words. You can experiment with formation and players as we are going nowhere this season. The key thing is getting the right players through the door next season with enough capability to support the young talent we have coming through.

Our football in the first half was steps away from the stuff we have watched over the last few years. I will give Morison the room to build and get the players to fit the mould.

I was being clumsy with words. You can experiment with formation and players as we are going nowhere this season. The key thing is getting the right players through the door next season with enough capability to support the young talent we have coming through.

Our football in the first half was steps away from the stuff we have watched over the last few years. I will give Morison the room to build and get the players to fit the mould.
    Fair enough, I have my reservations over him as a coach and tactician, I am prepared to give him a chance and I will praise him if I think that he has done well. I'm not sure he is the answer. Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

For all his arrogance and confidence he is massively out of his depth and not the man for such an important rebuild in the summer.
    His 'arrogance' and 'confidence' don't bother me - bit of a change than having all those endless platitudes normally churned out by managers. He gets a free pass from me because he stopped a crap squad of players dropping down to League 1. The squad is still crap and I dare any manager to do better. Let's see what happens in the next few months. No doubt other managers could have done a re-build, but the wage cap we're allegedly working to wouldn't appeal to many managers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

The club really needs to appoint an experienced first-team coach because it's clear that Hudson and Ramasut aren't good enough. I wonder if Morison's ego would allow it.

What’s vexing me somewhat lately is that we seem to be adjusting our formation each game to match our opponents. Why should we do that when these games are meaningless and, rather than taking what seems to be a defensive approach of just playing the same system as our opponents, see out the season with a back four? That would be an experiment that would make these last few matches worthwhile, whereas what we’re doing now just seems reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    His 'arrogance' and 'confidence' don't bother me - bit of a change than having all those endless platitudes normally churned out by managers. He gets a free pass from me because he stopped a crap squad of players dropping down to League 1. The squad is still crap and I dare any manager to do better. Let's see what happens in the next few months. No doubt other managers could have done a re-build, but the wage cap we're allegedly working to wouldn't appeal to many managers out there.
    Dropping down to league 1? Were we ever really in danger of relegation? Ever really in danger of finishing below Derby, Peterborough and Barnsley?

I don’t think so, even with Mick in charge we had enough to stay up.

Morison was given funds for loans in January and had an initial bounce from them but lately he is found wanting again, and spare me the experimenting rubbish, he’s hardly made drastic changes.

Quite why the club are prepared to go forward with this charlatan, on what is the most important summer for a few years, god only knows.

Give it a few months you and others say, well that will be a few months too late after we dish out the amount of contracts we are going to need to dish out this summer.