+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A British XI

A British XI

If a British side was picked at the moment, how many, if any, non-English players would be in the side?

Go back 30 years ago and I think the answer would be somewhat different. The flow of talent from Scotland hasn't dried up but there are not many 'stars' about. In Wales I doubt if Bale or Ramsey would be selected but we do seem to have a little quality in depth than years gone by. I don't know enough about the Irish football scene to comment about them.

Re: A British XI

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    If a British side was picked at the moment, how many, if any, non-English players would be in the side?

Go back 30 years ago and I think the answer would be somewhat different. The flow of talent from Scotland hasn't dried up but there are not many 'stars' about. In Wales I doubt if Bale or Ramsey would be selected but we do seem to have a little quality in depth than years gone by. I don't know enough about the Irish football scene to comment about them.
    Both Irish entitites are not British per se but I get your drift, old fruit .

1. Robertson.

I think gone are the days when all the top sides had a large contingent of Scots players in particular. The influx of vast numbers of foreign footballers has put a stop to that.

There will always be players like Bale, Robertson, Ramsey who are good enough to break into the top sides but more than ever they are the exception to the rule. And those English players that make it are usually a cut above their Scottish and Welsh counterparts.

John McGinn and Kieran Tierney might get a look-in.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Instead of who?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Kierney maybe if Robertson was out. Mcginn is a fine player but dont think hed get in a starting 11.

It would be easier to pick a best England XI, and then see if any non-English players would get a look-in.

Time was England’s goalkeepers were the envy of the world (at least that’s what the English media used to tell us) but that’s not been the case for ages. However, with no outstanding keepers in the other home nations, I think it would be an Englishmen who’d be selected, but I’m not sure which one.

I think one of Tierney and Robertson would be the left back, but I agree it would be Englishmen everywhere else.

England were a few penalties away from being European champions less than 12 months ago. The truth is that they're very strong right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    England were a few penalties away from being European champions less than 12 months ago. The truth is that they're very strong right now.
    Still, as long as they pick Maguire there's always hope they'll not win a big one !

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Both Irish entitites are not British per se but I get your drift, old fruit .
    Ireland is one of the islands of the British Isles isn’t it, to be fair to the O.P. he didn’t say a ‘Great Britain’ XI just a British XI.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ireland is one of the islands of the British Isles isn’t it, to be fair to the O.P. he didn’t say a ‘Great Britain’ XI just a British XI.
    Then you'd say British Isles XI. In this context, surely you'd think it refers to their nationality.

Include Ireland. The answers the same. 1
    Robertson.

if you start putting Irish players in a British XI you're going to upset some people

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if you start putting Irish players in a British XI you're going to upset some people
    Yep, but you can’t change geography Ireland is the second largest of 189 permanently inhabited islands in total making up the British Isles.........I must stress I haven’t counted them, well, I got to 125 then Googled it

Yes the celts have been in retreat for some time the greats that come to mind are ;

Pat Jennings .
    Nev Southall.
    Denis Law.
    Best .
    Bale 5 years ago.
    Giggs.
    Souness.
    Daglish.
    Johnny Giles.
    Denis Irwin.
    Roy Keane.
    Liam Brady .
    Mark Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes the celts have been in retreat for some time the greats that come to mind are ;

Pat Jennings .
    Nev Southall.
    Denis Law.
    Best .
    Bale 5 years ago.
    Giggs.
    Souness.
    Daglish.
    Johnny Giles.
    Denis Irwin.
    Roy Keane.
    Liam Brady .
    Mark Hughes.
    John Charles
    Ivor Allchurch
    Cliff Jones
    Mike England
    Ian Rush
    Kevin Ratcliffe
    A few Taffs there with a decent shout.

Pat Jennings .
    Nev Southall.
    Denis Law.
    Best .
    Bale 5 years ago.
    Giggs.
    Souness.
    Daglish.
    Johnny Giles.
    Denis Irwin.
    Roy Keane.
    Liam Brady .
    Mark Hughes.
    Chris Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Chris Pike.
    Erm....It was a British XI not World XI.

Yep, but you can’t change geography Ireland is the second largest of 189 permanently inhabited islands in total making up the British Isles.........I must stress I haven’t counted them, well, I got to 125 then Googled it
    that's what we call them, yes. it's not what they call them in Ireland

It is a geographical term, yes, but international football isn't done on geography. It's on national boundaries.

Pat Jennings .
    Nev Southall.
    Denis Law.
    Best .
    Bale 5 years ago.
    Giggs.
    Souness.
    Daglish.
    Johnny Giles.
    Denis Irwin.
    Roy Keane.
    Liam Brady .
    Mark Hughes.
    Ramsey and Allen were, unlike any Englishmen, deemed good enough to get into the UEFA team of the tournament in 2016 - Ramsey at his 13/14 best would have walked into a British select team whether it be Great Britain, the United Kingdom or the British Isles. I can remember reading a preview of the 14/15 season in which he was judged by some pundits as the best player in the Premier League.

With reference to the thread title, I did have to think what word to use - perhaps GB & Ireland would have been better? Thanks any way for your responses.

With reference to the thread title, I did have to think what word to use - perhaps GB & Ireland would have been better? Thanks any way for your responses.
    I was being playful. We all know what you meant, old fruit 😊