+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Perry NG

Perry NG

How many goals is he going to be at fault for before the management realise he’s not a good championship defender?

So he doesn’t hoof the ball out of defence? Big deal. First and foremost his job is to defend and he is sub standard in that department, particularly from crosses. Opposition teams are clearly targeting him as a weak link.

League 1 player at best. Championship centre back, I don’t think so.

Re: Perry NG

he's not even over six feet three inches

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    he's not even over six feet three inches
    He could be 7 foot for all I care, he is reactive to crosses and often caught flat footed.

Rather see him starting than Flint, I think he’s a huge confidence player though.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How many goals is he going to be at fault for before the management realise he’s not a good championship defender?

So he doesn’t hoof the ball out of defence? Big deal. First and foremost his job is to defend and he is sub standard in that department, particularly from crosses. Opposition teams are clearly targeting him as a weak link.

He's still quite new in that role and still learning.

Jury is still out whether he will be good enough going forward as a right sided central defender in a three at the back. I certainly wouldn't like to see him as one of two central defenders.

Saying that it's no coincidence that since he has moved into central defence we play the ball out much better and also, despite recent losses, concede fewer goals than when Mick packed the defence with giants.

I'd imagine he will be back at RB next season as Drameh won't be here.

I'd like to think with the right recruitment and some wingers we would move back to a 4 at the back.

has made some mistakes, but he's only played 16 games at CB at this level, so it's to be expected really. he's also brought some positives, stepping out of defence and passing in a way we've never seen from the more established CBS a
    too

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I don't grasp the nuances of tactical and strategic play that many on here can, but I look at players closely during games and tend to judge how good a footballer they are based not necessarily on their performance in a given game, but more how they look with the ball - receiving, controlling, passing, moving, tackling etc. To me Perry Ng never looks confident on the ball, especially when he's under pressure, and has always struck me as probably being a little out of his depth at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't grasp the nuances of tactical and strategic play that many on here can, but I look at players closely during games and tend to judge how good a footballer they are based not necessarily on their performance in a given game, but more how they look with the ball - receiving, controlling, passing, moving, tackling etc. To me Perry Ng never looks confident on the ball, especially when he's under pressure, and has always struck me as probably being a little out of his depth at this level.
    In my opinion, the way you look at it is the best way, especially from an individual perspective. I always look at a player when they're under pressure or when they have to think quickly, make decisions etc, that's the mark up for me. Nearly all Pro Footballers can look good if they have time and space. NG is a bit of a strange one, he doesn't really have any particular strong attributes, he's ok at most things. I would say that his biggest weakness's are decision making and that lack of urgency at crucial moments . In defence of him though, he does look to play the ball out of defence, maybe that's down to his coaching and philosophy as a player. On plenty of occasions though our midfield aren't particularly forward coming in wanting the ball from him, although Doyle isn't like that. For a man of his size and stature he is always going to find it difficult to compete in that central position, so, in my opinion, he shouldn't. Maybe he should pick up the pieces and move the ball quicker into midfield, although i really don't know if he possesses the urgency and pace of mind to do so.

Bit of a stating of the bleeding obvious but Ng is in the unfortunate position of lacking quality around him. He does seem to dither when in possession but is that down to him? It’s more the lack of movement & space finding by colleagues, a thankless task on occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bit of a stating of the bleeding obvious but Ng is in the unfortunate position of lacking quality around him. He does seem to dither when in possession but is that down to him? It’s more the lack of movement & space finding by colleagues, a thankless task on occasions.
    Good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He’s the backline. If players are not finding space he should be marshalling them.

He’s supposed to be a captain in making. He’s not living up to the hype for me

I like Perry NG. He is a good player, and he doesn't take any shit off anyone. But he is most effective when played in the right place, and that is at right back. I've said on here before that Ng is not a centre back, and that he was going to cost us goals, and I stand by that. Play him by all means, but play him in the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He’s the backline. If players are not finding space he should be marshalling them.

He’s supposed to be a captain in making. He’s not living up to the hype for me
    C’mon now, prospective captain or not, these are professionally coached footballers who are on the same team as him. In the heat of the moment, with the ball at his feet he can hardly be expected to be ‘marshalling’ colleagues into positions where they’re able to receive the ball from him. You’d like to think match day scenarios are played out through the week at the Vale and I’m sure they aren’t told to stay where they are and wait until Perry tells you where to go when he’s got the ball.

He seems a decent player and is obviously learning. He's certainly made some mistakes though. I think he'll improve dramatically when he's playing at RB and hopefully has some decent players in front of him.