+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there was a "real" league of wales

If there was a "real" league of wales

What would it look like? Hypothetical as it will never happen of course but had it been set up 100 years ago would it still be standing?

Or had the issue been forced in 1992 with the irate 8?

Was it Rick Wright who was talking of us joining the LOW and Sam hamman of us taking over a club (cwmbran?), playing our reserve team and getting into Europe.

I just wondered what others think a league of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport Wrexham, Bangor, Barry, Merthyr, colwyn Bay etc would have looked like?

Re: If there was a "real" league of wales

I often wonder where the Cymru Premier would figure in the English pyramid. In my opinion step3 or 4, Northern/ Southern league. TNS might be competitive at step 2 National League North.

There’s not enough strength in depth / money for a LOW to be sustainable

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    What would it look like? Hypothetical as it will never happen of course but had it been set up 100 years ago would it still be standing?

Or had the issue been forced in 1992 with the irate 8?

Was it Rick Wright who was talking of us joining the LOW and Sam hamman of us taking over a club (cwmbran?), playing our reserve team and getting into Europe.

I just wondered what others think a league of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport Wrexham, Bangor, Barry, Merthyr, colwyn Bay etc would have looked like?
    Would depend on champions league qualifying prize money

https://www.totalsportal.com/footbal...e-prize-money/

€230K to each losing club in preliminary round.
    €300K to each losing club in first qualifying round
    €400K to each losing club in second qualifying round.
    €500K to each losing club in third qualifying round.
    €5 million each for 10 teams losing in champions league playoffs
    €15.4m to each of the 32 clubs qualified for group stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I often wonder where the Cymru Premier would figure in the English pyramid. In my opinion step3 or 4, Northern/ Southern league. TNS might be competitive at step 2 National League North.

Take it you didn't see the Cymru C team (best Welsh players in the cymru prem) beat England C 4 0 (best English players in the national league) a few weeks ago?!

It's the 3rd time they have played, this was 4 0 to Wales, last one was a 2 2 draw, first one was a 3 2 England win. There's little in it.

Was only a few years ago colwyn Bay swapped England for Wales and many thought they would find it a piece of cake as like yourself most thought the English system is far stronger. We have seen with colwyn Bay their crowds have gone up and they are getting some 4 figure attendances they werent getting in England but they haven't found their way to the cymru premier yet as other stronger teams than them already outside the league.

You just started a thread on Merthyr and while historically it's correct they stay in England if that's what they want. Their crowds would go up if they joined the Welsh system but their current side is well short of cymru premier standard. Well short. However they could rebuild and European money is a big draw. TNS got more money from their champions league run than the season Newport had that crazy fa Cup run playing man City etc...

It would be crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Would depend on champions league qualifying prize money

https://www.totalsportal.com/footbal...e-prize-money/

€230K to each losing club in preliminary round.
    €300K to each losing club in first qualifying round
    €400K to each losing club in second qualifying round.
    €500K to each losing club in third qualifying round.
    €5 million each for 10 teams losing in champions league playoffs
    €15.4m to each of the 32 clubs qualified for group stage.
    It's big money isn't it. Unfortunately we have seen right across Europe all the small leagues have been destabilised with this injection as once you start receiving money like this your budget dwarfs everyone else in the league so the same teams win the league everywhere all across Europe. The smaller the league the bigger the gap it seems.

It would be sh!t as far as Cardiff City and Swansea were comcerned

Wed be playing at somewhere like Leckwith with about a 1000 average crowd and part time players.

Teams like Merthyr Pontypridd and Rhondda clubs etc would probably have a few more fans as people would be more likely to support a local side.

I wouldnt be suprised if over half of Cardiffs core support is outside Cardiff now.

Virtually all id say wouldnt have supported a LOW Cardiff.

Luckily the nightmare of us in the LOW will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    It's big money isn't it. Unfortunately we have seen right across Europe all the small leagues have been destabilised with this injection as once you start receiving money like this your budget dwarfs everyone else in the league so the same teams win the league everywhere all across Europe. The smaller the league the bigger the gap it seems.
    I think a team gets €2.2 m per win as well

Never say never

Attendances https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/w...ue/attendances

By comparison Merthyr average 460 in a very poor season. Still 200 more than TNS

Attendances https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/w...ue/attendances

By comparison Merthyr average 460 in a very poor season. Still 200 more than TNS
    Merthyr are a decent sized club. TNS have a rich owner and their only fans are his mates. Merthyr would have very good attendances in Wales. A boxing day game v Barry town would get over a thousand home and away easily.

Although for historic reasons I understand why Merthyr want to stay in England but financially wales would be a much option.

I remember when Merthyr finished 4th in the vauxhall conference

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I remember when Merthyr finished 4th in the vauxhall conference
    Me and Bluetit remember them in the Football League

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It would be crap.
    It would be worse than the Irish league

The league clubs would be dead in the form they are now, but with the draw of better ( or a better standard sometimes ) football gone, people will pop along and support local teams, so attendances should have increased for them

the answer was always, 2nd team / U23 in the welsh league for the football league clubs,

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

the answer was always, 2nd team / U23 in the welsh league for the football league clubs,
    Blindingly obvious but I think international registration prevents it. It’s one or the other, so no player could play for 2nd team then 1st team. This is the same problem as teams in border villages / towns face.

City moving to LOW would mean 5k crowds and vacating the stadium due took of support and revenue ??

If we think the current status quo is bad just picture your motivation watching a low level type if football with the only target would be European Quailfiers against other low level league representatives and the odd chance of drawing a semi big league of Ireland team like Shamrock Rovers ??

A nightmare that's best forgotten I think. Anyway I'm all in favour of a British League

I think it would probably be somewhere between the Northern Irish league and the Scottish league.

Who knows, Cardiff and Swansea could have been bigger clubs more like Celtic & Rangers, but I doubt it. More likely we would be like Glentoran and Linfield

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think it would probably be somewhere between the Northern Irish league and the Scottish league.

Who knows, Cardiff and Swansea could have been bigger clubs more like Celtic & Rangers, but I doubt it. More likely we would be like Glentoran and Linfield
    Bigger than celtic and rangers?

You are right though. It would be like the southern Ireland league in the very best case scenario as they have some 10,000 seater stadiums that sell well.

What I will say is those who grew up watching the city in Europe and seeing the Welsh cup every year really did have the best of both worlds didn't they?! A whole generation now or more wouldn't be able to comprehend how that happened would they?

Without the Welsh cup the city's history wouldn't be anywhere near as rich as it is. No ECWC semi final, no real Madrid victory, no Admira Wacker, no standard leige, no 22 Welsh cup wins and 32 Welsh cup finals when the Welsh cup was a really good tournament.

We were never going to keep being allowed to have our cake and eat it and it's only fair we would represent England in Europe now not wales, but weren't we lucky to have that chance?

Blindingly obvious but I think international registration prevents it. It’s one or the other, so no player could play for 2nd team then 1st team. This is the same problem as teams in border villages / towns face.
    but U23 players could be Tied to the LOW team, they can still play for the " 1st team " but as soon as they play a certain amount of Min's for the 1st team, they cant play for the LOW team

it is something that happens in netball, a player can play at any standard, but as soon as then play 8 X 1/4's at a certain standard ( lets say L2 ) then they cant play below that, so players can still develop by playing at a higher level, it works well

If a Welsh league began when football was starting out then we wouldn't have known any different. Initially, there might've been the same interest as there was for Welsh teams in the English pyramid but it's difficult to say if that would've been maintained. Maybe it would've settled into a similar status as the league of Ireland?

I think the idea was suggested at the time but Welsh clubs wanted to play the English teams anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    but U23 players could be Tied to the LOW team, they can still play for the " 1st team " but as soon as they play a certain amount of Min's for the 1st team, they cant play for the LOW team

it is something that happens in netball, a player can play at any standard, but as soon as then play 8 X 1/4's at a certain standard ( lets say L2 ) then they cant play below that, so players can still develop by playing at a higher level, it works well
    In fairness to Des I think he was referring to registration of football players not netball players.