+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Everton Relegation

Possible Everton Relegation

If Everton get relegated they would be for me the biggest club to be relegated to the Championship, apart from Manchester United in the 70’s.

I think it would give the division a huge list and a sense of excitement, and I would argue that most clubs they play would attractive their largest crowds of the season and most of their games would be televised live , giving clubs additional revenue. A Club like us could net as much as £500k from their demise.

Re: Possible Everton Relegation

Newcastle ? ? ? ? they must be on par with Everton

Man City ( before they were rich ) they were in the 3rd tier not too long ago

538 giving them a 55% chance of relegation

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...remier-league/

I’d argue they are bigger than both Newcastle and Man City ( pre investment)

They're no bigger than Leeds

I hope they do from a Liverpool weekender perspective.

They have spent more seasons in the top flight than any other club, so being relegated from it is a bigger deal than Newcastle or Man City going down imo

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    If Everton get relegated they would be for me the biggest club to be relegated to the Championship, apart from Manchester United in the 70’s.

I think it would give the division a huge list and a sense of excitement, and I would argue that most clubs they play would attractive their largest crowds of the season and most of their games would be televised live , giving clubs additional revenue. A Club like us could net as much as £500k from their demise.
    I agree. It's not really possible to clearly define who is "bigger" but Everton do just about trump Leeds, Newcastle and Man City (perhaps not anymore but certainly when City last went down) for me. Not least as they are wrapped up in the whole Liverpool being a footballing city thing.

I actually quite like Everton, but I would love to see them go down just to shake it all up a bit and would be good for the championsip for someone to challenge Norwich's traditional biennial dominance..

I’d argue they are bigger than both Newcastle and Man City ( pre investment)
    Me too, they had ambitions of top 6 this season with all their investment. Looking at their fixtures I reckon they are doomed. Great stuff.
    Newcastle have been down to the 2nd tier a few times in my lifetime, can’t recall Everton though. No doubt all the big money earners will be off, be interesting to see how they cope.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Me too, they had ambitions of top 6 this season with all their investment. Looking at their fixtures I reckon they are doomed. Great stuff.
    Newcastle have been down to the 2nd tier a few times in my lifetime, can’t recall Everton though. No doubt all the big money earners will be off, be interesting to see how they cope.
    According to the BBC website they have spent 500 million since 2016 when the new owner took over?

Not sure how this compares to others in their category of size and expectations??

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I hope they do from a Liverpool weekender perspective.
    This is the main reason

I think the main difference between Newcastle going down and Everton is that Everton have spent almost £500 million over the past five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I think the main difference between Newcastle going down and Everton is that Everton have spent almost £500 million over the past five years.
    I was reading they've spent the amount as Liverpool.

Their problem is going to be offloading their high earners.

Theyve made some shocking signings.

They are in the shit.

Spurs going down in '77 was huge as well. What about Chelsea in the 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Their problem is going to be offloading their high earners.

Theyve made some shocking signings.

They are in the shit.
    That Anthony Gordon is going to get a few of the bigger/plastic clubs going for him. Watched Everton four times this season and he has always been their star man, Gave the Liverpool defence a good run around yesterday

Most seasons overall maybe, but The Arsenal have most consecutive seasons, from 1919 to present day..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Would be up there with Spurs I'd say.

Chelsea, for all their current success wouldn't be considered one of the giants of British football IMO. Traditionally I would say they vied with West Ham for being Londons third team.

Everton really are one of the 'grand old clubs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Although they won the league in 1955, Chelsea are very much ‘Johnny Come Latelys’

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Although they won the league in 1955, Chelsea are very much ‘Johnny Come Latelys’
    I’m not a Chelsea fan by any means however , their support is far from “Johnny come lately”

Historically they are the best supported club in London , some of their crowds have been in excess of 80,000.

Have a look at their average crowds between 1946 and 1959.

http://european-football-statistics....eague/chls.htm

I’m not a Chelsea fan by any means however , their support is far from “Johnny come lately”

Historically they are the best supported club in London , some of their crowds have been in excess of 80,000.

Have a look at their average crowds between 1946 and 1959.

http://european-football-statistics....eague/chls.htm
    Have a look at their crowds in the late 70s/early 80s. I'm sure they were hovering between 11,000 and 15,00 for a home league game. No doubt TLG or Eric can shed more light on this....

That was because of hooliganism and every teams crowds were down - navigate the Link for other teams comparisons such as Leeds etc They also nearly went bankrupt due to the construction of the East Stand.

My point is, historical records prove they have always been well supported apart from the period you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Would be up there with Spurs I'd say.

Chelsea, for all their current success wouldn't be considered one of the giants of British football IMO. Traditionally I would say they vied with West Ham for being Londons third team.

Everton really are one of the 'grand old clubs'.
    Chelsea weren’t that big a club in the mid 80’s

Chelsea v Cardiff crowds at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea were in the second division in the early 80s were
    1 Mar 1980 18490
    4 April 1981 11569
    17 Feb 1982 9710
    15 Oct 1983 15459

Everton are premier league royalty. I hope they don't come down to be honest, I've always liked them. I agree they dwarf Newcastle. Everton have never been a small club, they've pretty much always been top tier.