+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: if you were the manager

if you were the manager

and had the summer to try to assemble a new squad, with probably minimal investment and the current players who will be here next season...

what style of football/tactics would you be looking to instill?

more possession based? aggressive pressing? direct long balls and strong in each box?
    there are many ways to be successful, what direction would you take us?

Re: if you were the manager

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    and had the summer to try to assemble a new squad, with probably minimal investment and the current players who will be here next season...

more possession based? aggressive pressing? direct long balls and strong in each box?
    The Brentford model probably....but I don't think there's enough Danes to go around lol

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The Brentford model probably....but I don't think there's enough Danes to go around lol
    their model is more to do with recruitment and analysis rather than playing style I think, as the owner also owns Midtjylland who have a very different playing style

International

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You have to admire the Brentford model, it's been amazing and seems pretty logical, other teams are obviously going to be copying it in various parts. I think we are already looking for failed young pros from the elite academies aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    You have to admire the Brentford model, it's been amazing and seems pretty logical, other teams are obviously going to be copying it in various parts. I think we are already looking for failed young pros from the elite academies aren't we?
    You may well be right but we must make sure we also get a few old pros in the team for organisation and leadership. They don't have to be special, just players like Don Cowie for example that rarely let you down or have a bad game. Once the backbone of the team is settled, the manager will have something to build on.

As for the style of play we should adopt, that will depend on the adaptability of the players he acquires but better passing and movement would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The Brentford model 'alone' wouldn't work for us.

We would soon be pissed off if we saw more and more Welsh youngsters heading to other clubs acedemies before they had an opportunity with us (because we wouldn't have an academy under the Brentford model).

The model works for them as there are loads of clubs with academies around them that they can't compete with. We have (or should have) limited competition when it comes to signing youth players for our acdemy from South Wales / South West.

In terms of a recruitment model a combination of
    a well run academy and finding lower division gems would be good for us.

We seem to be stepping up with youth recruitment, which is promising.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    The Brentford model 'alone' wouldn't work for us.

We would soon be pissed off if we saw more and more Welsh youngsters heading to other clubs acedemies before they had an opportunity with us (because we wouldn't have an academy under the Brentford model).

The model works for them as there are loads of clubs with academies around them that they can't compete with. We have (or should have) limited competition when it comes to signing youth players for our acdemy from South Wales / South West.

In terms of a recruitment model a combination of
    a well run academy and finding lower division gems would be good for us.

We seem to be stepping up with youth recruitment, which is promising.
    The Brentford model is the total opposite to what we need.

We have a massive catchment and the only ‘real’ rival to that is Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The Brentford model is the total opposite to what we need.

We have a massive catchment and the only ‘real’ rival to that is Villa.
    Agreed.

Our academy is the jewel in our crown, albeit long ignored, but finally we are given it the attention it deserves.

If i were a hammer, i'd hammer in the morning , i'd hammer in the evening all over this land.
    I'd hammer out warnock , i'd hammer out harris ..i'd hammer out ole, steve and all o.....etc etc

I’d ask them to open the ticket office, so as to encourage more people to buy tickets to support the team

It would be four four fecking two.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’d ask them to open the ticket office, so as to encourage more people to buy tickets to support the team
    It’s the club’s big plan, buy tickets online to watch games online, lay off the stewards and match day staff, save the wages of the lowest paid employees of the club. That’s what it seems like. The obstacles this club puts in the way of its support beggars belief, weren’t they stopping away ticket sales a while before the fixture took place as well recently? Club shop only open now and again and sparsely stocked anyway. Who the feck is in charge commercially? They couldn’t run a fecking bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It would be four four fecking two.
    but how tactically? long ball? low block?

but how tactically? long ball? low block?
    Pass. I only watched the film. Sounded convincing to me!

4-2-3-1. We've got to start getting the best out of Colwill. I'd probably build the team around Wintle and try Davies wide, too. Possession-ish but counter at pace. Sign quick players. Hopefully get 4/5 good loanees in. Make sure we go back to getting good from set pieces again, they're a lovely safety net.

2 good wingers, a striker who knows how to finish, Colwill just behind. Pacey centre halves who can tackle and head the ball.

would love a manager to play this type of football 11 a side futsal at its best

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

That was beautiful.
    The other teams pressing wasn't exactly bad either.
    Warnock would be apoplectic if one of his teams tried that at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

It took a deflection on its way in though

In terms of style or tactics this is the championship. The players wont be the best passers, fastest, strongest.

You can get out of this division with just a assembly of good players knowing their roles. You don't have to play a certain way

We've got tippy tappy Fulham winning the league at a canter and tippy tappy teams proping up the base of the table. We won promotion just by being stronger than the opponent in 2018 season and we didn't have a 'style' when we were promoted in 2013

What we do need is to be better at spending our money and more diligent in our youth.