+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ELF 3pm blackout

ELF 3pm blackout

Re: ELF 3pm blackout

Would be like Christmas for sky.

Not sure it has any impact on attendances any more. Whether or not a game is on TV has never influenced my decision to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Not sure it has any impact on attendances any more. Whether or not a game is on TV has never influenced my decision to go.
    Plus they know that every game in the EFL is now streamed illegally. Probably move to pay to view for games.

It does mean that in theory, we should be able to watch every single game, if CCTV get their act together. If the EFL had more sense, they would have restricted broadcasting to club's sites only, thereby making sure that the clubs can earn income from it.

So this thread isn’t about the Will Ferrell film not being screened

They'd better be careful. Serie A attendances plummeted in the 90's and are still very poor - only 5 of the 20 clubs average over 20k. This is due mainly to a history of televised matches on 'matchday' - supporters able to watch their team from the comfort of their sofa. Gates in the Championship are down, too. Frequently clubs aren't even publishing them. There's so much football on TV now that unless it's the PL, fans are getting more than enough of their football kick on TV/media.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    So this thread isn’t about the Will Ferrell film not being screened
    Not a KLF 3am Eternal tribute band then?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not a KLF 3am Eternal tribute band then?
    Don't be ridiculous. It's a reference to the National ELF service.

I wouldnt support this at all. There are certain principles in English football that help to bind it all together from bottom to top. Things like promotion and relegation, sharing of cup ticket receipts, payment of transfer fees, and no professional football at 3pm on saturdays.

I see no benefit whatsoever to the change - clubs can sell the 3pm games rights around the world as it is, but in this country it could have a real negative impact on lower and non league clubs.