+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The future of football in UK

The future of football in UK

I might be wide of the mark here, but the 10-16-year-olds I’m aware of have little or no interest in attending football games. I’m sure they are all Fifa-ing until the early hours and buying Liverpool’s latest strip, but do they go?

Has it always been the case that people start attending in later teens?

Re: The future of football in UK

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I might be wide of the mark here, but the 10-16-year-olds I’m aware of have little or no interest in attending football games. I’m sure they are all Fifa-ing until the early hours and buying Liverpool’s latest strip, but do they go?

Has it always been the case that people start attending in later teens?
    Away games we seem to have a lot of teens, more than I remember when I was that age- early 2010s

I guess the Echo junior bluebirds are all now middle aged. That was a great scheme. Is there anything similar at the moment?

Our away demographic has definitely shifted younger in the last 10 years since I’ve been going away. So we’re not only gaining new fans but gaining more younger fans than older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Our away demographic has definitely shifted younger in the last 10 years since I’ve been going away. So we’re not only gaining new fans but gaining more younger fans than older ones.
    a lot of young fans at home games as well i watched them by the ninian station greeting a bunch of luton fans the other week

They do say the average age of a football fan is 45. But then, its not the cheapest thing to do, if you're a youngster. Parents may not want to pay the money out each week, or maybe are unable to go with them, or perhaps might not want their kids there by themselves. But I do think there's quite a healthy crop of 18-21 youngsters coming through, if away games are anything to go by. Its only when you have a bit of cash in your hand, that you can afford to go to football regularly.
    The club should fill empty seats by offering tickets to schools and football clubs. Say a quid each, with two adults attending. Why not?