+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lester Piggott R.I.P.

Lester Piggott R.I.P.

86 and has ridden his last ride.

Piggott (why can’t you edit thread title?)

Re: Lester Piggitt R.I.P.

I can honestly say I thought he was already dead.

RIP Lester 🐎

Lester Piggott R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    86 and has ridden his last ride.

Piggott (why can’t you edit thread title?)
    (You can edit it in advanced mode).

He was the 1st jockey I became aware of growing up, although I have no idea what he looked like.

RIP

He'd not be fashionable these days all that whipping .

Re: Lester Piggott R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    (You can edit it in advanced mode).

He was the 1st jockey I became aware of growing up, although I have no idea what he looked like.

RIP
    Skol

Inappropriate time for the old chestnut?..........Which criminal rode a Derby winner?.............Lester Piggott’s cellmate day

My all-time favourite jockey.
    RIP Lester

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I can honestly say I thought he was already dead.

RIP Lester ��
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Inappropriate time for the old chestnut?..........Which criminal rode a Derby winner?.............Lester Piggott’s cellmate day
    Don't put that on twitter you will be cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think you know it's too soon

I was very much into racing as a young man and - his tax evasion antics apart - have nothing but admiration and awe at Piggott's career.

He was absolutely single-minded and fearless in his pursuit of winners and his domination as a rider of big race winners changed the way owners and trainers behaved when it came to the 5 English classics races. Horses (particularly 3 year-old colts) can generate huge sums of money as sires after their racing days are over but in order to do so, they need to win their one and only shot at winning a Derby or a Guineas; their reputation is made or lost in those few minutes of glory and owners and trainers therefore wanted THE BEST, the most certain way of ensuring no mistakes were made by a jockey making a mis-judgment.

For a generation or more, Piggott made a career and a fortune from 'jocking-off' rival, stable-retained riders when it came to getting on board the big winners. Basically, he had the choice of which horse to ride no matter how much it would upset others. It was extremely controversial at the time but he didn't care. Here's his classics record in nutshell: http://en.espn.co.uk/blogs/sport/story/256885.html

And here's an example of his mastery riding Royal Academy at the 1990 Breeder's Cup in U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tdQXkAu6Y

Finally, a 5 minute documentary of the world's greatest jockey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ey-wdS7XI

R.I.P Lester from an admirer

Very sad news indeed
    Lester truly was a sporting great.
    Sky news are reporting that it states in his will he doesn’t want any camera’s at his funeral as he hated a photo finish, also the grave digger’s are making the hole six foot square so they can get him in each way and that the funeral is at 10/1

RIP Lester

We were skint in 1976.Literally had a quid to our names.We decided for the one and only time to put it on a horse.Empery in the Derby 1976 ridden by Lester.Empery won at 8/1. I was on £40 at the time.Took the kids for a day out.

RIP Lester

His funeral is next Friday, 10/1. RIP Lester

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
    His funeral is next Friday, 10/1. RIP Lester
    Down to five to two now.

It felt to me that Pigott was hammered for his tax evasion and harshly treated by the media.
    RIP Lester.