+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: HMRC - Register as Self Employed

HMRC - Register as Self Employed

Im trying to help my daughter register as Self employed, Ive looked for 1/2 hour on the HMRC site and cant for the life of me find a link to do it online, I have found a Fill in online and print and send back to HMRC form, but surely it can be done online ? ? ?

anyone know if you can ? ?

Re: HMRC - Register as Self Employed

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im trying to help my daughter register as Self employed, Ive looked for 1/2 hour on the HMRC site and cant for the life of me find a link to do it online, I have found a Fill in online and print and send back to HMRC form, but surely it can be done online ? ? ?

anyone know if you can ? ?
    The premise of the question is incorrect. You do not, as such, have to tell HMRC you are self employed, but what you have to do is register for self assessment. There is a ‘register for self assessment ‘ link on the HMRC website.

cheers, ive been on that page and just appear to go around in circles

I think she needs a Government gateway ID to do it

Giving up now for tonight, the HMRC site is just rubbish to navigate imho

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self.../self-employed

If she’s only just recently started then no need to stress or rush it as won’t be due for a while yet anyway.

Their site is so un user friendly it’s un-believable. I do my self assessment online every year for the last 15 and it’s always a battle.

It is a bit of a nightmare to navigate, but you'll need the gateway ID and my advice is to write it down somewhere as it's a pain to find again.
    I may be wrong but I think there's something called a UTR that you'll also need, but get given by them, again make sure you write it down somewhere.
    When you don't need to do a self assessment again make sure you update them or they will send you a fine for not filing your returns.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    It is a bit of a nightmare to navigate, but you'll need the gateway ID and my advice is to write it down somewhere as it's a pain to find again.
    I may be wrong but I think there's something called a UTR that you'll also need, but get given by them, again make sure you write it down somewhere.
    When you don't need to do a self assessment again make sure you update them or they will send you a fine for not filing your returns.
    The Gateway ID number (12 digits I think) is what you create first to enable you to access your personal tax records. You'll then get a 10 digit SA-UTR (Unique Tax Reference) when you register for self assessment. These are the 2 important numbers to remember.
    Each time you log onto your gateway you'll be sent (to your mobile if you want) a unique 6 digit code as a security check.

thanks all, all done now

needed a gateway ID before she could fill it in

the site is shocking, you click on a link, it sends you to another page, you click on next and its back to the 1st page, I guess its a massive job to make is more user-friendly so they dont bother

thanks all, all done now

needed a gateway ID before she could fill it in

the site is shocking, you click on a link, it sends you to another page, you click on next and its back to the 1st page, I guess its a massive job to make is more user-friendly so they dont bother
    I think it sums them up very well…..

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Their site is so un user friendly it’s un-believable. I do my self assessment online every year for the last 15 and it’s always a battle.
    It's not the best but you get used to it, having the gateway saved is the main thing.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I think it sums them up very well…..
    Designed to be tricky so people use an accountant maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Designed to be tricky so people use an accountant maybe?
    I’m a qualified accountant and I employ an accountant to take care of mine because it’s such a nightmare! I do have to check it with a fine toothcombe, though! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’m a qualified accountant and I employ an accountant to take care of mine because it’s such a nightmare! I do have to check it with a fine toothcombe, though! 😁
    If I can have done my own SA for the last 15years without comeback, so can anyone. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’m a qualified accountant and I employ an accountant to take care of mine because it’s such a nightmare! I do have to check it with a fine toothcombe, though! ��
    Lol…somehow I managed to forget about the deferred payment from Jan 2021, didn’t get one reminder about it all year until I had just paid this years….did wonder why I was a bit flush….

I’m too lazy - and busy!
    I have to agree that HMRC’s website appears to have been developed in about 1999. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The Gateway ID number (12 digits I think) is what you create first to enable you to access your personal tax records. You'll then get a 10 digit SA-UTR (Unique Tax Reference) when you register for self assessment. These are the 2 important numbers to remember.
    Each time you log onto your gateway you'll be sent (to your mobile if you want) a unique 6 digit code as a security check.
    I gave up with it years ago and now get my accountant to do it. Sounds lazy, but reading this reminded me of how I used to get so utterly fed up with all the numbers/codes/passwords. Used to drive me mad. All done now for an extra £30 !!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    If I can have done my own SA for the last 15years without comeback, so can anyone. ��

Apologies for jumping in but the potential problem that you could have is that you haven’t claimed for all of the allowances you might be entitled to. I recommend using an accountant. It pays for itself

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Apologies for jumping in but the potential problem that you could have is that you haven’t claimed for all of the allowances you might be entitled to. I recommend using an accountant. It pays for itself
    Just pay for an accountant once then - you can follow his processes in subsequent years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just pay for an accountant once then - you can follow his processes in subsequent years.
    tax law changes every year.