+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MOTD top 10 derbies in football league-we don't get a mention

MOTD top 10 derbies in football league-we don't get a mention

The show with shearer linekar and Richards. Cardiff don't get a mention of being in the top 10 for derbies. Interesting to hear that they think Brighton v Palace, Leicester v forest and Chelsea v spurs are all bigger rivalries than Cardiff Swansea.

Re: MOTD top 10 derbies in football league-we don't get a mention

They are really….how many seasons in the top flight have we had? 15? Swansea have spent most of their existence in league 1.

Maybe they thought of a derby as being a game where both sides play and act as if there is some sort of rivalry between them?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    The show with shearer linekar and Richards. Cardiff don't get a mention of being in the top 10 for derbies. Interesting to hear that they think Brighton v Palace, Leicester v forest and Chelsea v spurs are all bigger rivalries than Cardiff Swansea.
    Can someone list the 10 “” derbies” or do we have to guess ?

Liverpool Everton
    Man City Man Utd
    Newcastle Sunderland
    Arsenal Spurs

are the obvious ones.

Presumably Villa Brum and West Ham Millwall are there.

Pompey and Southampton the other one? I doubt the Brizzle derby makes it.

Bit of a stretch to have Brighton Palace (or Leicester Forest) and not us! It must be back in the 90s when Leicester Forest was a PL game.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Liverpool Everton
    Man City Man Utd
    Newcastle Sunderland
    Arsenal Spurs

are the obvious ones.

Presumably Villa Brum and West Ham Millwall are there.

Pompey and Southampton the other one? I doubt the Brizzle derby makes it.

Bit of a stretch to have Brighton Palace (or Leicester Forest) and not us! It must be back in the 90s when Leicester Forest was a PL game.
    linekar and shearer are still stuck in the 90s thats why

I cant really see why Cardiff - Swansea isn't in the top 10. The below may all be bigger perhaps, and theres bigger games that arent derbies (Leeds v Man Utd for example) but still.

I guess the relative lack of success of us and jacks makes it less of a big deal.

Man Utd v Man City
    Liverpool v Everton
    Man Utd v Liverpool (if this counts)
    Villa v Birmingham
    Newcastle v Sunderland
    Arsenal v Tottenham
    Southampton v Portsmouth

It’s probably list of games played in the premier league, they will count Man Utd - Liverpool as one for example. Bet the Bristol and Sheffield derbies weren’t on there either

Depends what their definition of "derby" is.

Perhaps they would class Cardiff Swansea as a rivalry not a derby considering the distance between cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It’s probably list of games played in the premier league, they will count Man Utd - Liverpool as one for example. Bet the Bristol and Sheffield derbies weren’t on there either
    The Sheffield derbies sometimes get a bit feisty in the grounds but in general United and Wednesday peacefully co-exist.

They may get bigger crowds than in the South Wales derby, but the rivalry doesn't get close.

The Leicester - Forest one surprises me. I bet it surprises Forest fans too who think their big derby is with Derby!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Depends what their definition of "derby" is.

Perhaps they would class Cardiff Swansea as a rivalry not a derby considering the distance between cities?
    But include Brighton Palace?!

I guess they included Brighton palace as it's a little bit more interesting to talk about the origins of it than all the other ones, that are just we hate this club because they are close to us. etc.

I’ve watched othe motd top 10s and to be fair to Lineker, Shearer etc, they do emphasise they don’t choose the original lists.
    I’m not so sure Cardiff v Swansea deserves to be on the list. We only really became big rivals when Toshack took them up the leagues. Don’t think there’s been a decent atmosphere at the CCS for the Derby since the Chopra winner. I know we’ve largely been second best since then, but still seems a poor atmosphere.

Then again perhaps not

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I guess they included Brighton palace as it's a little bit more interesting to talk about the origins of it than all the other ones, that are just we hate this club because they are close to us. etc.
    Yeah that's it

Blackburn vBurnley ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Sheffield derbies sometimes get a bit feisty in the grounds but in general United and Wednesday peacefully co-exist.

They may get bigger crowds than in the South Wales derby, but the rivalry doesn't get close.

The Leicester - Forest one surprises me. I bet it surprises Forest fans too who think their big derby is with Derby!
    I should have included the Sheffield one in my list. Would you say thats lesser than the south Wales one?