+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ten Year passport rule if you renew early?

International

Ten Year passport rule if you renew early?

Is this new?

They are saying ignore the expiry date, use the start date and ten years from that date is the expiry?

I was always thought you could have those extra six months to renew early so you could go on holiday without your passport almost running out?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-away-23796310

Mine started May 13 expires Aug 23, but I'm to assume expires may 2023, and allow extra three months at the end nonsense from May 2023?

It takes six months to get one at the moment doesn't it, what a mess?

International

Re: Ten Year passport rule if you renew early?

Just checking a few other sites looks like that right, you need valid for at least three months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting but that's from the issue date, which could be a lot earlier than the expiry date you see on your passport.

I hope that helps some of you, that would have caught me out!

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-25/...avel-to-europe

Just renewed mine and yeah the expiry date is exactly ten years from the issue date. No idea why. It only took a few weeks to be issued though.

Is this new? - No, it's a consequence of Brexit and has been publicised quite a few times since then.

They are saying ignore the expiry date, use the start date and ten years from that date is the expiry? - Correct

I was always thought you could have those extra six months to renew early so you could go on holiday without your passport almost running out? - Yes, while we were in the EU.

Mine started May 13 expires Aug 23, but I'm to assume expires may 2023, and allow extra three months at the end nonsense from May 2023?

It takes six months to get one at the moment doesn't it, what a mess? - No, I renewed over Christmas and it was back within a couple of working days. Renewing online is easiest and quickest, and if you get your photo taken somewhere like Max Spielmann they give you a code to enter on the application for your photo, so you don't have to get it countersigned or send it off or anything. You just send off your old passport with the reference code and they produce the new one.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    Is this new? - No, it's a consequence of Brexit and has been publicised quite a few times since then.

They are saying ignore the expiry date, use the start date and ten years from that date is the expiry? - Correct

I was always thought you could have those extra six months to renew early so you could go on holiday without your passport almost running out? - Yes, while we were in the EU.

It takes six months to get one at the moment doesn't it, what a mess? - No, I renewed over Christmas and it was back within a couple of working days. Renewing online is easiest and quickest, and if you get your photo taken somewhere like Max Spielmann they give you a code to enter on the application for your photo, so you don't have to get it countersigned or send it off or anything. You just send off your old passport with the reference code and they produce the new one.
    Great thanks

International

Does the US use the EU system or expiry date, and do you need three months left there too? ?

I thought the problem was certain airlines have been implementing those rules themselves and not the EU.!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Does the US use the EU system or expiry date, and do you need three months left there too? ?
    "For certain nationalities, the passport or other travel document must be valid for at least six months beyond the proposed stay in the United States. The six-month requirement does not apply to United Kingdom passports."

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-i...vel-documents/

International

It doesn't say whether they use the start date or expiry date though ?

This site is useful to see what the current wait times are like: https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

International

This site is useful to see what the current wait times are like: https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/
    27 days not too bad!

Just renewed the wife’s passport online.
    Took a photo on the phone - this is tricky with lighting and shadows etc.
    You then upload the photo and it gives you an indication of its suitability for acceptance

Sent your old passport off to Glasgow office - biggest recommendation here would be to get tracked postage - so you know it’s arrived.
    Your online portal will not update to say they have received it for 2 weeks.
    Then you get a text and email to says it’s received, then took another 2 weeks for them to process and print.
    A further 1 week to arrive back to us in the post and then another 2 weeks on top to get old passport and marriage certificate back.

Just don’t leave this too close to your holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I thought the problem was certain airlines have been implementing those rules themselves and not the EU.!
    There's a story on WOL of a chap who was refused a seat on a Ryan Air flight to Faro, but was allowed on the Jet2 flight, so there is some evidence of this.

As for delays in renewing passports its partly down to covid and the failure of the passport office to respond adequately when travel restrictions were lifted. Many people delayed renewing their passports as they couldn't travel anyway. Now that people can travel, the passport office is overwhelmed and under prepared for the extra demand.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

It doesn't say whether they use the start date or expiry date though ?
    I can't find anything to suggest the US is implementing this 10 year rule, so it should be okay with whatever expiry date is on the passport. All it mentions here is that it needs to be an e-passport.

I don't have a passport

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    There's a story on WOL of a chap who was refused a seat on a Ryan Air flight to Faro, but was allowed on the Jet2 flight, so there is some evidence of this.

As for delays in renewing passports its partly down to covid and the failure of the passport office to respond adequately when travel restrictions were lifted. Many people delayed renewing their passports as they couldn't travel anyway. Now that people can travel, the passport office is overwhelmed and under prepared for the extra demand.
    My daughter flew with Ryanair last October. They wanted 6 months passport validity. Hers was about 5. She ticked a box to say she had6 months or more left on the passport. Luckily no-one checked. Her other half proposed on the trip. As it was she renewed around Christmas (online) and got a new one back in 2 weeks. I renewed after Christmas and it took 4 weeks. One week to acknowledge it had arrived, two weeks ish to process, then a week or so for TNT to get it back. Not sure what sort of contract TNT have. They are very slow to pick up and deliver. Thankfully, I am now using the new passport (cheap and tacky BTW) to enjoy the view over Mahon Harbour and not having to make the trip to Boro on a Wednesday night.
    Last edited by IanD; 27-04-22 at 16:17. Reason: Typo

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    My daughter flew with Ryanair last October. They wanted 6 months passport validity. Hers was about 5. She ticked a box to say she had6 months or more left on the passport. Luckily no-one checked. Her other half proposed on the trip. As it was she renewed around Christmas (online) and got a new one back in 2 weeks. I renewed after Christmas and it took 4 weeks. One week to acknowledge it had arrived, two weeks ish to process, then a week or so for TNT to get it back. Not sure what sort of contract TNT have. They are very slow to pick up and deliver. Thankfully, I am now using the new passport (cheap and tacky BTW) to enjoy the view over Mahon Harbour and not having to make the trip to Boro on a Wednesday night.

Each airline publishes what it requires of passengers in terms of their passport.

A lot say you require 3 months before the expiry date some require 6 months.

You will be well advised to check this important detail with your carrier and act accordingly before turning up at the airport.

As an above poster has stated you might have to wait up to 6 months to renew your passport unless you use a premium fast track service

We've left the EU but still have to follow their rule about a passport not being older than 10 years validity. I lost 3 months on mine by getting the application in early.

As long as theyre blue, who cares when they expire?
    #fishing

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As long as theyre blue, who cares when they expire?
    #fishing
    They aren't blue and they are cheap and tacky....apart from the bit the Passport Office create. Bait taken!
    BTW...AirBnB may want you to send a copy of your passport page with colour photo/bar code on it. Anyone who has a lovely new British Empire passport knows that page has a black and white photo of the bearer on it. Try explaining that to an AirBnB algorithm that rejects your ID because its not in colour. Took several attempts and eventually managed to get a pic accepted. But not until after being tempted to get a tree branch and beat my phone as I know "IT'S NOT IN COLOUR"

There are several misinformed people on here. Here's what the Foreign Office website states for EU Countries:

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
    • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
    • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

Also I recently renewed my passport online and it took three weeks. It probably would have been quicker had the printing of the things not been outsourced to Europe.

Took 8 days from me applying in November to collecting from Newport. Yes it’s 10 years from the date of issue, I needed to change mine because you need 18 months remaining to get a visa.

One drawback is my new passport simply doesn’t work in eGates which is a pain especially when most British airports rely almost exclusively on eGates.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    There are several misinformed people on here. Here's what the Foreign Office website states for EU Countries:

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:
    • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
    • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)
    New passports are only valid 10 years now, anyway.
    The 3 month rule didn't stop Ryan "law unto themselves" Air asking for 6 months left on your passport when my daughter flew last November. And, as Des says, the new el cheapo (to produce) passports don't always work at eGates. Mine will be tested for the first time on Saturday.

renewed my daughters a few weeks ago, took 11 days before her new one was delivered, the old one took another 6 days to arrive, took another 2 days till they texted me to tell me they had received the old passport