+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: if we weren't safe already

if we weren't safe already

there's no way we'd be currently trying to tinker with the playing style and giving games to the likes of Watters and Denham.

chances are we'd have got more out of these last few games but what would that mean at the end of the season? nothing really.

tbh it makes sense to give Watters a good run of games to give him a chance to show if he's going to be able to cut it at this level. if we can't do that when there's nothing to play for then when is it ever going to happen. if he plays the next 2 games and doesn't bring anything to the table then we'll probably be looking for 2 strikers in the summer. if he starts to find his feet then. maybe one.

Re: if we weren't safe already

How’s the time to give him a run out especially with Davies out.

Disappointing end to the season but it makes sense. I think most managers would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    there's no way we'd be currently trying to tinker with the playing style and giving games to the likes of Watters and Denham.

chances are we'd have got more out of these last few games but what would that mean at the end of the season? nothing really.

tbh it makes sense to give Watters a good run of games to give him a chance to show if he's going to be able to cut it at this level. if we can't do that when there's nothing to play for then when is it ever going to happen. if he plays the next 2 games and doesn't bring anything to the table then we'll probably be looking for 2 strikers in the summer. if he starts to find his feet then. maybe one.
    Yup, all well and good, see what these players are about, completely agree. What I don't understand is the style of play and the tactics, it's all so very slow and at times, predictable. My concern isn't trying out players, it's the implementation of the style and philosophy, which is more important in my opinion. I just can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, all well and good, see what these players are about, completely agree. What I don't understand is the style of play and the tactics, it's all so very slow and at times, predictable. My concern isn't trying out players, it's the implementation of the style and philosophy, which is more important in my opinion. I just can't see it.
    but isn't style / setup / formation of play pretty fluid, a modern day coach adapts and plays which suits ( either against the opposition or what players he / she has ) long gone are the days of playing one way

these last few games have been meaningless, we know SM will have to bring in a few new players ( even 1/2 the team could be new ) so he will try and get players to fit his idea's but it might not happen, so he might have to adapt ( as modern non-dinosaur managers do )

Completely agree. I don't see what the plan is, and there's also zero excuse for the standard of set pieces were are abysmal. This was a great chance to implement what he wants to do, and he's either not done it or it is dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    but isn't style / setup / formation of play pretty fluid, a modern day coach adapts and plays which suits ( either against the opposition or what players he / she has ) long gone are the days of playing one way

these last few games have been meaningless, we know SM will have to bring in a few new players ( even 1/2 the team could be new ) so he will try and get players to fit his idea's but it might not happen, so he might have to adapt ( as modern non-dinosaur managers do )
    You could well be right. From my point of view I just can't understand what Morison is attempting to do, even when we went on the winning run, apart from our wing backs getting involved and making a difference, I didn't really see much evidence of a forward thinking game. He needs to be implementing a style of play now, something that is identifiable, even if it means that mistakes are made. I just can't see it. It's slow and clunky, and lacks fluidity for me. I'm not expecting miracles, and I'll take a loss if performance is there, but it just isn't. Not in my opinion.

You could well be right. From my point of view I just can't understand what Morison is attempting to do, even when we went on the winning run, apart from our wing backs getting involved and making a difference, I didn't really see much evidence of a forward thinking game. He needs to be implementing a style of play now, something that is identifiable, even if it means that mistakes are made. I just can't see it. It's slow and clunky, and lacks fluidity for me. I'm not expecting miracles, and I'll take a loss if performance is there, but it just isn't. Not in my opinion.
    I think we are implementing a different style over the last few games, our passing percentages and possession is notably higher, but we've lost something in our attack it seems.
    I think we need to get the balance right between not playing aimless balls and losing possession to attacking quickly enough to be facing a disorganised defence. we are doing better at the former bit just too ponderous to be consistently threatening at the moment.
    it's a big change from the previous approach of playing the percentages and throwing enough shit at the walls hoping something will stick.
    however we ultimately decided to play, hopefully with a squad tailored specifically to do that we will have some more success

He might not yet know his preferred style of play yet, as he knows come the close season 1/2 the team is off, so will decide on what style / setup when he brings in the next lot of players, a round peg in a round hole type of thing, but he 1st needs to buy / loan the round peg

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He might not yet know his preferred style of play yet, as he knows come the close season 1/2 the team is off, so will decide on what style / setup when he brings in the next lot of players, a round peg in a round hole type of thing, but he 1st needs to buy / loan the round peg
    If he doesn't, we are absolutely ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Completely agree. I don't see what the plan is, and there's also zero excuse for the standard of set pieces were are abysmal. This was a great chance to implement what he wants to do, and he's either not done it or it is dreadful.
    I think we need to recruit new first-team coaches as well as new players in the summer. Hudson and Ramasut clearly aren't up to the job.

As I've said in a previous thread, SM fully deserves his chance to rebuild the team for next season. None of us can be happy at the way the defeats are now piling up but it's something we just have to live with. Next season will be the time to judge him and if he is incapable of getting his newly assembled team to perform consistently well, then I'm sure he'll be on his way out of the club.