+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM should make the last 2 games 'must win'...

SM should make the last 2 games 'must win'...

.. to test the temperament of his youngsters

win the last 2 games (Birmingham and Derby) and City could expect to finish in 17th above Hull and the Worzels who play each other on Saturday and then face Huddersfield and Notts Forest in their final games.

Re: SM should make the last 2 games 'must win'...

he should also have his nuts on the block in terms of delivering on these games. can't keep blaming everyone else. it's his job to pick the team and motivate them to play well and get a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    he should also have his nuts on the block in terms of delivering on these games. can't keep blaming everyone else. it's his job to pick the team and motivate them to play well and get a result.
    The team he selected against Middlesborough was totally shocking.
    No balance to it and nothing on the bench to make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    it was hardly shocking

We're stuck with him now, so it will be interesting to see what his plan is for next season in terms of recruitment and playing style. I have a feeling that he is going to go for a pressing style of play, high energy, force mistakes against the opposition high up the pitch. The interesting thing is the balance in terms of recruitment and budget, He's not going to have much to play with, so he may have to unearth some young players who can play a high energy style but are far from the finished article, with a bit of experience in the correct positions. If that is the case, and if i can see performance improve, then i have no issue in results not going our way for a while. As long as i can see progress in terms of planning on the pitch and structure, as well as intelligence on the ball then a few years of building is fine with me.

And just to add. i really don't think that he rates Colwill, i don't think that he's a Morison type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    .. to test the temperament of his youngsters

win the last 2 games (Birmingham and Derby) and City could expect to finish in 17th above Hull and the Worzels who play each other on Saturday and then face Huddersfield and Notts Forest in their final games.
    You are having a laugh surely! The Swansea game was THE "must win game" and that did not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And just to add. i really don't think that he rates Colwill, i don't think that he's a Morison type of player.
    If Morison wants to press (I think he does to), then Colwill won't/can't press.

Which is great, as I think he's the only player we have that can pick a pass and he's going to have a very good career if he knuckles down but he doesn't have that physicality yet (or ever).

Easy decision then Morison needs to go, if it's a choice between the 3 of them
    Colwill the most naturally talented player we have or Morison a talentless cheap option and he's over inflated ego

He should set the team up for how he wants to play in the future. If it doesn't suit every player that we have right now, so be it. Half the team will be here, let him see if it will work. Making it a must win is daft, also the youngsters have got us out of holes time and time again this season. The senior pros are the ones that have let us down.

Just out of interest what side and bench would you have picked?

If he doesn't rate Colwill then he has no business being a football manager, the kid's clearly our best attacking player

For what it's worth I think he does rate him but isn't entirely sure how to use him, one player I'd say he definitely doesn't rate is Sam Bowen and as such he's not rally been anywhere near the first team since Morison took over

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He should set the team up for how he wants to play in the future. If it doesn't suit every player that we have right now, so be it. Half the team will be here, let him see if it will work. Making it a must win is daft, also the youngsters have got us out of holes time and time again this season. The senior pros are the ones that have let us down.
    How can you set the team up now for how you want to play in the future if you don't have the players? I think he (rightly in my opinion) thinks "OK, I successfully completed the first task, let me have a look at a few things so I can answer some remaining questions I might not be sure about yet". This season was over for everyone except the fans a few weeks ago. Personally, in these circumstances, I'm all in favor of pragmatism. From managers and players. What's done is done. It's all about next season.

Can you explain why you think that? Is there something you see in Colwill that makes you think a manager might not rate him? Or is it more about Morison?

if only he'd have thought that earlier about all our games

I think you might be right - he was hardly enthusiastic when asked about Colwill's first half performance on Wednesday. Looking at his treatment of Bowen as well, you'd almost think he has a Warnockesque type issue with young, technically proficient players

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think he (rightly in my opinion) thinks "OK, I successfully completed the first task, let me have a look at a few things so I can answer some remaining questions I might not be sure about yet".
    What might those questions be in your opinion?

You can't just declare matches must win when there's nothing riding on them though.

Would be nice to finish above the Wurzels though at least.
    Last edited by Undercoverinwurzelland; 29-04-22 at 07:35. Reason: Incomplete

Interesting that some think hes going for a high pressing style.

Why?

Little evidence of that so far.

Swansea every decent manager knows to press them high as their defence makes mistakes.

Morrisons tactics are stand off let the opposition defence have it and just everyone back and keep shape.

Attacking wise I have no idea what hes doing. Weve even gone from a team possibly the most threatening at set pieces to useless at them.

Anyway wheres the evidence of this pressing style?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Anyway wheres the evidence of this pressing style?
    I don’t think there’s been any clear evidence of what kind of football Morison either wants to implement or has been trying to implement, and that’s the concern.

The teams he’s been fielding have mostly compromised of loan players he’s brought in and players who will be here next season, but it’s unclear how he’s intending to set up going forward. Considering he’s been in the job for six months, that’s not encouraging.

The squad that was picked for the Middleboro game was basically all the players he had that were available, not including those that are definitely leaving as it would have been pointless picking them. You have nothing better to do than criticise.

There appear to be some thick people on this board who a) are totally unable to realise or accept that these final games are being used to experiment with personnel, tactics and formations b) the results of the games don't matter in the slightest as we were safe from relegation four games ago c) there is no point picking players that are definitely leaving the club d) we have a number of injuries that are affecting what we can do anyway. I think that they should do themselves a favour and go on holiday now or stop watching the games, as analysing how we are playing currently is a totally pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think you might be right - he was hardly enthusiastic when asked about Colwill's first half performance on Wednesday. Looking at his treatment of Bowen as well, you'd almost think he has a Warnockesque type issue with young, technically proficient players
    In his post-Middlesborough interview, Morison said:

“I’m trying to play in a way that gets the best out of individuals that we’re looking at for the future, and to play a way that hopefully gets the most out of the likes of Rubin Colwill etc., putting more bodies around them to encourage it."

Without going back over Morison's interview style and public treatment of the younger players, it seems to me from this and other interviews that he does rate Colwill and understands that he needs to build the team around him. I don't like his style, but I think it is mainly driven by a desire to push them to be the best they can - not to dismiss or undermine them.

With Bowen it might be different. Morison may not rate him, although the interview pre-Boro where he said Bowen would be out for the rest of the season implied that Bowen has been carrying an injury that will not clear up for most of the season - despite a few u23 outings.

This is just utter rubbish. In the last five games, Colwill has started in three and played the full 90 minutes in all of them and came on early as a sub in both the others (45 mins and 66 mins). Over the whole season he has protected him on occasions, which is only right with an inexperienced 20 year old but all the signs now are that he is seen as an important part of the team for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There appear to be some thick people on this board who a) are totally unable to realise or accept that these final games are being used to experiment with personnel, tactics and formations b) the results of the games don't matter in the slightest as we were safe from relegation four games ago c) there is no point picking players that are definitely leaving the club d) we have a number of injuries that are affecting what we can do anyway. I think that they should do themselves a favour and go on holiday now or stop watching the games, as analysing how we are playing currently is a totally pointless exercise.
    I don't understand why you need to be so hostile in practically every reply you make

People have different opinions and this is a place to share them but there are ways of presenting counter arguments that help the debate rather than alienate

Not sure the benefit of your approach of being personal - I know you are not alone in that approach but seem to consistently take this approach