+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Young players could face club v friends choice

Young players could face club v friends choice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61264309

Children could be forced to choose between signing for an academy or playing football with their friends, it is feared.

Re: Young players could face club v friends choice

ridiculous.
    They're only kids.

This is already having an affect at grass roots level. Even tho it isnt a rule yet, it is coming, and some clubs/academies have already enforced it. This has meant some teams being stripped of their best players and folding as they don't have a large enough squad to continue. I am also aware of at least other 2 teams in the Vale ,just in my son's age group, who will probably fold this week once season is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    This is already having an affect at grass roots level. Even tho it isnt a rule yet, it is coming, and some clubs/academies have already enforced it. This has meant some teams being stripped of their best players and folding as they don't have a large enough squad to continue. I am also aware of at least other 2 teams in the Vale ,just in my son's age group, who will probably fold this week once season is complete.
    I think it is worth pointing out that it is not a FAW rule,but is one that comes from above,that other F.A.s have already implemented

this has been going on for a while in England

I coach a girl who's brother has been with Chelsea, Reading the now Bristol from the age of maybe 7 or 8, he has been to a number of training camps with RM at the Bernabéu aswell

he hasn't been able to play with his mates at grass roots for 3 or 4 years ( though he could train with his acadamy during lockdown 2 as he was classed as a elite sportsperson )

its a crazy rule as he plays with his mates ( his old team ) every night over the park

Some of the grassroots clubs that will struggle to keep going are ones with 7 or 8 Academy players.
    In my experience they tend to be the teams that turn players away if they don't deem them good enough and horde the better players from other clubs .
    So from that point of view many coaches will welcome the new rule.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61264309

Children could be forced to choose between signing for an academy or playing football with their friends, it is feared.
    Is there any benefit to doing this? It seems like the FAW scratching around for something to do.

Could see how this could damage the mental health of some young people and the FAW should be asked to specifically explain the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Is there any benefit to doing this? It seems like the FAW scratching around for something to do.

Could see how this could damage the mental health of some young people and the FAW should be asked to specifically explain the benefits.
    It is a FIFA rule that the Welsh FA have resisted for several years but are now being threatened with penalties if they don't comply

Quote Originally Posted by Davpont View Post
    It is a FIFA rule that the Welsh FA have resisted for several years but are now being threatened with penalties if they don't comply
    That;s a shame, my son's under 9 team has 2 academy players. When they both play they usually win and when neither play they almost always lose.

those kids love to play with their friends though, and there would probably be a few weeks they couldn't put a side out. That said I tihnk they mostly enjoy doing training with their mates, and I don't think that would have to stop would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That;s a shame, my son's under 9 team has 2 academy players. When they both play they usually win and when neither play they almost always lose.

those kids love to play with their friends though, and there would probably be a few weeks they couldn't put a side out. That said I tihnk they mostly enjoy doing training with their mates, and I don't think that would have to stop would it?
    I would think the issue with training with their mates would be regarding insurance,as they would only be registered on COMET for the Academy team,any injuries outside that would not be covered

Quote Originally Posted by Davpont View Post
    I would think the issue with training with their mates would be regarding insurance,as they would only be registered on COMET for the Academy team,any injuries outside that would not be covered
    Yeah I was thinking that myself - I wonder if the welsh fa could allow registering 2 clubs for training purposes and non-competitive matches (U11 and below I think and friendlies)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that myself - I wonder if the welsh fa could allow registering 2 clubs for training purposes and non-competitive matches (U11 and below I think and friendlies)
    Yes,they were looking at enforcing the one club rule from under 12 upwards hopefully that will be the case?

In my experience, this has been the case for many years, though perhaps it has not been officially implemented until now. When my son was playing for local sides (aged 8 to 18, from 2008 onwards) we often heard of clubs who had lost players to 'pro' set-ups. Like a lot of posters say, a few boys decided against it, as it would mean that they lost touch with their friends.

What's FIFA's logic? Why are forcing this on everyone?