+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Orange is the new...........?

Orange is the new...........?

Although Dundee United have had the colour orange in their kit for ages, Blackpool's shirt colour is often considered unique in the Football/Premier League and yet there was a time in the 70s when three other Football League sides played in orange, or variants of that colour, shirts, - one of them even used their shirt colour in the name they gave their programme at the time, can you name the three?

Re: Orange is the new...........?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Although Dundee United have had the colour orange in their kit for ages, Blackpool's shirt colour is often considered unique in the Football/Premier League and yet there was a time in the 70s when three other Football League sides played in orange, or variants of that colour, shirts, - one of them even used their shirt colour in the name they gave their programme at the time, can you name the three?
    Luton
    Newport County

Hull

I think Newports programme was called the Tangerine. Was the mascot Tangerine Tommy?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton68 View Post
    I think Newports programme was called the Tangerine. Was the mascot Tangerine Tommy?
    Tangerine Topic - i remember as the actual title

oldham atletic

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Blackpool’s colour was called Tangerine and they were known as the Tangerine’s.

GOod quiz! Luton would be one.

I have read a couple of times about clubs wearing orange kits in the 70s in honour of the Dutch team as much as anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post

Newport and Oldham are correct, but the third one is not Hull or Luton - two of the teams had switched back to their original colours by the time Luton changed from white to orange, Oldham was one of them, but you've not got the other one yet.

On the subject of County, can anyone remember them playing in tangerine and black striped shorts?

was bradford city part orange or part gold stripes

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    was bradford city part orange or part gold stripes
    I've always though of them as gold - right county though.

I’m probably slow on the uptake and not understanding the question but I thought Luton did play in orange in the 70s?

Edit: ah, I understand your post later in the thread re Luton now! Apologies.

As a kid I had an orange kit and I called it a Blackpool kit but also seem to recall calling it a Hartlepool kit too, so I have no idea if they did play in orange or not but that is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    As a kid I had an orange kit and I called it a Blackpool kit but also seem to recall calling it a Hartlepool kit too, so I have no idea if they did play in orange or not but that is my guess
    think hartlepool played in yellow at one time tobw give a clue with the county

think hartlepool played in yellow at one time tobw give a clue with the county
    He already has - bob said its same county as Bradford. I can't see it being any of the Sheffield clubs, so I'd guess at Halifax?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    He already has - bob said its same county as Bradford. I can't see it being any of the Sheffield clubs, so I'd guess at Halifax?
    Correct - here they are in their orange kit beating Man United in the old Watney’s Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-5GbF8MUI

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    i kept thinking of sheff wed , i had halifax as yellow and blue shorts huddersfield as either blue and white or red and black

i kept thinking of sheff wed , i had halifax as yellow and blue shorts huddersfield as either blue and white or red and black
    Maybe the reason you thought of Sheffield Wednesday is that they wore an all orange kit when they played at Ninian Park on a couple of occasions in the early seventies - Alan Warboys scored four in the two matches if I remember rightly.

Maybe the reason you thought of Sheffield Wednesday is that they wore an all orange kit when they played at Ninian Park on a couple of occasions in the early seventies - Alan Warboys scored four in the two matches if I remember rightly.

I can remember Chelsea having a grey and orange away kit in the mid 90s, and thinking it was the worst kit i'd ever seen.

If it wasn't Chelsea I'd actually quite like it now.

Newport’s first kit was a Wolves hand me down.