+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vaulks and Watters help to end losing run as Cardiff City finally get a penalty.

Vaulks and Watters help to end losing run as Cardiff City finally get a penalty.

Vaulks makes case for new contract offer as City hit fifty point safety mark.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Vaulks and Watters help to end losing run as Cardiff City finally get a penalty.

Fair play to Watters, he played well when he came on, and was instrumental in us getting the penalty.

Re: Vaulks and Watters help to end losing run as Cardiff City finally get a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Fair play to Watters, he played well when he came on, and was instrumental in us getting the penalty.
    Yes, that was as good as I’ve seen Watters play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, that was as good as I’ve seen Watters play for us.
    Watters is a strange player. His movement if often decent and he seems able to find space for himself fairly frequently. He has the sort of football intelligence young players often lack in that respect. However, having got into those good positions, his decision-making on the ball is often poor and his finishing is weak.

There definitely looks to be a player in there somewhere, but I get the feeling it will take a lot of decent coaching to bring out the best in him and it may be a while before we see it.

City apparently paid the same fee for Watters that Swansea paid for Piroe. Watters is about six months older than Piroe. I don't think it's unfair to say the Jacks got the better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Watters is a strange player. His movement if often decent and he seems able to find space for himself fairly frequently. He has the sort of football intelligence young players often lack in that respect. However, having got into those good positions, his decision-making on the ball is often poor and his finishing is weak.

There definitely looks to be a player in there somewhere, but I get the feeling it will take a lot of decent coaching to bring out the best in him and it may be a while before we see it.

City apparently paid the same fee for Watters that Swansea paid for Piroe. Watters is about six months older than Piroe. I don't think it's unfair to say the Jacks got the better deal.
    Watters’ scoring record for Crawley and MK Dons was good and he looked a natural finisher in the under 23 matches he played in last season, but he’s had a few chances in recent matches and his finishing has been weak. Like you say, I think there could be a decent player there, but I also agree that you wonder about the quality of coaching he’s had - Piroe is years in front of him in terms of football intelligence and awareness.

Watters’ scoring record for Crawley and MK Dons was good and he looked a natural finisher in the under 23 matches he played in last season, but he’s had a few chances in recent matches and his finishing has been weak. Like you say, I think there could be a decent player there, but I also agree that you wonder about the quality of coaching he’s had - Piroe is years in front of him in terms of football intelligence and awareness.
    One thing that concerns me about Morison (based on his interviews) is that he doesn't seem to put much emphasis on the importance of coaching or the scope to improve players.

He emphasises the importance of recruitment, and getting in players with the physical and technical qualities we need. He emphasises game plans and 'instructions' - and the ability or otherwise of players to follow them. He has also talked about the need for leaders on the pitch and players having the experience and personality to make their own decisions and not always be looking to the manager.

But he doesn't talk much about coaching and development.... about how he and Ramasut and Hudson and the rest can make Watters, Colwill, Bagan and Harris into better players. It seems to be a blind spot.

Piroe has been part of the Dutch International set up.

The coaching hes had will have been on a different level to what Watters would have had.

He moves at the same pace when through on goal as he does in any other part of the pitch, he doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency at the crucial moment. That's all well and good if you're technically brilliant, like Peter Whittingham, but it doesn't seem to work for Watters, although i don't think that can be coached into a player. Zohore was similar in respect of intensity, he was one paced in terms of urgency and demand. I can remember willing Zohore on to get a bit nasty or up the pace. He just wasn't about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    One thing that concerns me about Morison (based on his interviews) is that he doesn't seem to put much emphasis on the importance of coaching or the scope to improve players.

He emphasises the importance of recruitment, and getting in players with the physical and technical qualities we need. He emphasises game plans and 'instructions' - and the ability or otherwise of players to follow them. He has also talked about the need for leaders on the pitch and players having the experience and personality to make their own decisions and not always be looking to the manager.

But he doesn't talk much about coaching and development.... about how he and Ramasut and Hudson and the rest can make Watters, Colwill, Bagan and Harris into better players. It seems to be a blind spot.
    I’m not totally sure about this, but I seem to remember Morison saying that he sees himself more as a kind of overseer over different departments and not so much a coach.

Good shout. It has come across when he has been critical of players, he hasn't taken any responsibility for their performance. He did it with Davies and he has with Colwill. All well and good i suppose, if a player has that intelligence, but i don't think that Davies or Colwill do, especially Colwill.

I'm not sure I agree at all.

I can think of several examples where he's spoken about the coaching and development of the players, and I can't really recall any of our other recent managers talking about it any more often, probably less so.
    he's mentioned about going through the video touch by touch with zimba after his debut, working with colwill to improve his all round game etc and he's mentioned how important it is for the younger players to keep improving, not reach a level and relax thinking they've made it - if that isn't happening through coaching then how?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not sure I agree at all.

I can think of several examples where he's spoken about the coaching and development of the players, and I can't really recall any of our other recent managers talking about it any more often, probably less so.
    he's mentioned about going through the video touch by touch with zimba after his debut, working with colwill to improve his all round game etc and he's mentioned how important it is for the younger players to keep improving, not reach a level and relax thinking they've made it - if that isn't happening through coaching then how?
    OK - I agree he has spoken several times about going through the video with players the following day, and he has also spoken about some of the things he wants Davies, Colwill and Watters to do more or better (in Watters case the problem was his lack of pressing).

But I still don't get the sense that Morison gives as much attention to coaching as I would like or would expect. Maybe I'm wrong, but Mick used to talk about strikers doing things in games (movement, positioning, the way they struck the ball) that they had picked up from TC in training. I don't get that from Morison. When he last spoke about getting the best out of Colwill the focus was on getting other players around him and on team shape. It wasn't about skills and decision making honed on the training pitch.

In recent weeks when all the focus has been on summer changes, the main pitch from Morison has been about recruiting the attributes we need for success, and almost nothing about growing them inside the club. He needs to do both.

I quite like Morison and think he has done more good than bad since taking over. For me the jury is still out, but I'm happy for him to have his chance and I hope he gets it right. I would be happier still if I was confident about the strength and quality of coaching.