+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor v Serrano-What a Fight!

Re: Taylor v Serrano-What a Fight!

Yeah people being uncomfortable with it is an age thing. Can tell from the language being used here. This kind of attitude is dying out though as likes of Katie Taylor are showing.

I didn’t stay up to watch it as it was on at four in the morning
    However if you haven’t seen it check it out on YouTube
    Unbelievable fight !!🥊
    The pre and post fight interview’s are well worth a look as well
    Eddie Hearn ridicule’s the YouTuber Jake Paul’s boxing ability as “average” and they strike a million dollar bet on the outcome of Taylor v Serrano
    Worth taking a look just for that lol 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yeah people being uncomfortable with it is an age thing. Can tell from the language being used here. This kind of attitude is dying out though as likes of Katie Taylor are showing.
    Absolute nonsense. Just like lazy journalism, you and a few others on this thread are guilty of lazy posting.
    I’m nearing 60, and enjoy boxing, both men and women, and appreciate the hard work they do to get to that level. Nobody has said on this thread women shouldn’t box, but some have stated they don’t like to see women fighting.
    That’s not an age thing, it’s an opinion Some of the younger lads i work with, and a few in my local, have said the same.

If there’s a re-match which there definitely will be ninety thousand will pay to watch Katie Taylor fight in Croke Park
    It’ll be the biggest boxing event in the world let alone Ireland 🇮🇪
    History is being made 🤩

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Absolute nonsense. Just like lazy journalism, you and a few others on this thread are guilty of lazy posting.
    I’m nearing 60, and enjoy boxing, both men and women, and appreciate the hard work they do to get to that level. Nobody has said on this thread women shouldn’t box, but some have stated they don’t like to see women fighting.
    That’s not an age thing, it’s an opinion Some of the younger lads i work with, and a few in my local, have said the same.
    I agree it's not an age thing. I am over 60 and don't enjoy boxing - either men or women, because I have always had a problem with a sport that often relies on inflicting brain damage on an opponent to win. I appreciate the history and positives of boxing - I used to help Brendan Ingle (Wincobank Gym in Sheffield that produced Naseem Hamid, Bomber Graham and Johnny Nelson amongst others) with his local charity work - but still don't like it as a sport.

However, I can see no reason at all for having a different attitude or opinion on men's or women's boxing. Whether that comes from old or young, and especially when used with cringeworthy expressions like 'the fairer sex', it comes from a view of women's role in society that should have vanished decades ago.

Despite not being into boxing I have watched a fair bit of Katie Taylor, and she is amazing.

Really surprised at some of the attitudes on this thread.

I didn't see the fight but Steve Bunce was absolutely waxing lyrically about it on R5 the other day. Said 3 or 4 of the rounds were amongst the best he'd seen in any match.

I think it's safe to say, when women's boxing can sell out madison square garden that those who find it "disgusting" and "distasteful" have probably been left in the past a bit.

It would be interesting to know what other things-occupations some people don't like to see a woman participating in. I find it an interesting subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It would be interesting to know what other things-occupations some people don't like to see a woman participating in. I find it an interesting subject.
    I imagine female commentary and punditry is going to be mentioned.

I'm sure it would be for their own good......

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree it's not an age thing. I am over 60 and don't enjoy boxing - either men or women, because I have always had a problem with a sport that often relies on inflicting brain damage on an opponent to win. I appreciate the history and positives of boxing - I used to help Brendan Ingle (Wincobank Gym in Sheffield that produced Naseem Hamid, Bomber Graham and Johnny Nelson amongst others) with his local charity work - but still don't like it as a sport.

However, I can see no reason at all for having a different attitude or opinion on men's or women's boxing. Whether that comes from old or young, and especially when used with cringeworthy expressions like 'the fairer sex', it comes from a view of women's role in society that should have vanished decades ago.

Despite not being into boxing I have watched a fair bit of Katie Taylor, and she is amazing.
    I think a term like “the fairer sex” is more a compliment than a derogatory remark.

I really dont know how Taylor came through 10 rounds. Looked 1 punch away from being kod particularly the 5th.

Amazing courage bravery skill from both.

Its hard to walk away from a huge crowd and payday in Ireland but Taylor has the rest of her life ahead of her and another 10 rounds trading with Serrano maybe something she should think twice about.

I think a term like “the fairer sex” is more a compliment than a derogatory remark.
    I always say "the sex that looks nicer naked" and I don't know why women don't like it, as it's clearly a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I always say "the sex that looks nicer naked" and I don't know why women don't like it, as it's clearly a good thing
    You’re trying too hard son, to be one of the “in crowd” on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Gadzooks, the fairer sex involved in pugilism? Heaven forfend!

Just watched it, how on earth did they pick a winner out of that.

Best scrap I’ve seen in years

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just watched it, how on earth did they pick a winner out of that.

Best scrap I’ve seen in years
    Exactly how I saw it.

You and Delmbox are really showing a lack of intelligence in this thread. Surprising.
    Bit harsh, all I said was I think's it's a generational thing, which as a rule I suspect it is. Not to say that everybody who thinks it is older but I'd bet more 60 year olds find women boxing "distasteful" than 20 year olds do.

And I queried moodybluebirds statement saying that the majority of women are against it because that's a pretty big statement for him to make

Eddie Hearn looking at the rematch having 3 minute rounds. If there had been 3 minute rounds for this fight I believe Serrano would have stopped Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Bit harsh, all I said was I think's it's a generational thing, which as a rule I suspect it is. Not to say that everybody who thinks it is older but I'd bet more 60 year olds find women boxing "distasteful" than 20 year olds do.

And I queried moodybluebirds statement saying that the majority of women are against it because that's a pretty big statement for him to make
    Do you really think the majority of women in this country like to see other women boxing ? Because that's what we're talking about here, not the rights of women to box should they wish to do so. I thought I made that pretty clear in my other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Do you really think the majority of women in this country like to see other women boxing ? Because that's what we're talking about here, not the rights of women to box should they wish to do so. I thought I made that pretty clear in my other posts.
    How would any of us know what the majority of women think about female Professional boxing?

How would any of us know what the majority of women think about female Professional boxing?
    How many of us know whatever goes on in a female mind

It's an unanswerable question granted, but if you had to put money on whether you think the majority of women in this country actually like boxing what would your answer be ? And remember, this relates to women actually liking the sport as opposed to their right to participate in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How many of us know whatever goes on in a female mind
    We have a winner. Close the thread.

I just watched the fight, on the strength of this thread. My goodness, the fitness levels are off the scale!
    Perhaps that's why women give birth and not us (men)?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I’ve never suggested you want to stop women doing what they want to do, I just don’t think you can make big sweeping statements like that on behalf of an entire gender as if it’s a fact that’s all. I don’t doubt you believe women should be free to box if they want to