+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grim stats from a dismal home campaign

Grim stats from a dismal home campaign

In statistical terms, Cardiff City's 2021/22 home Championship campaign was not only the club's worst in decades, but it was also one of the poorest in the Bluebirds' entire history. While the stats alone don't tell the whole story, I reckon they paint a reasonably accurate picture of a season in which the team struggled badly at the Cardiff City Stadium from the opening-day draw with now-relegated Barnsley through to Saturday's stalemate with fellow strugglers Birmingham.

Defeats

The Bluebirds were beaten in no less than 12 of their 23 home league matches during 2021/22. The only other time the club has lost 12 home games in a 46-match Football League season was in 1994/95, when City were relegated to Division Three. However, the club's worst home campaign was 1984/85, when Alan Durban's side was beaten in 13 of its 21 home games during another dreadful season that ended in relegation.

There have been just seven seasons in which the team has lost ten or more of its home league games. All the others ended in relegation with the exception of 1933/34, when City finished rock bottom of the Third Division (South) and were forced to apply for re-election to the Football League.

Those seven seasons were:

1933/34 - 11 home defeats (22nd in Division Three South, re-elected)
    1981/82 - 10 home defeats (20th in Division Two, relegated)
    1984/85 - 13 home defeats (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    1985/86 - 11 home defeats (22nd in Division Three, relegated)
    1994/95 - 12 home defeats (22nd in Division Two, relegated)
    2018/19 - 11 home defeats (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 12 home defeats (currently 19th in the Championship)

Goals

City failed to find the back of the net in 11 home league games during the 2021/22 campaign and scored just 22 goals in their 23 Championship matches at the CCS, which equals a club record for the lowest total of home goals scored in a 46-game Football League season. The only other campaign in which the Bluebirds netted just 22 goals from 23 home games was the disastrous 1985/86 season, when the club was relegated to the Fourth Division for the first time in its history.

There have been just five seasons in which the team has scored 22 or fewer home league goals, and two of those were the recent Premier League campaigns.

The seasons concerned were:

1979/80 - 21 goals from 21 home games (15th in Division Two)
    1985/86 - 22 goals from 23 home games (22nd in Division Three, relegated)
    2013/14 - 20 goals from 19 home games (20th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2018/19 - 21 goals from 19 home games (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 22 goals from 23 home games (currently 19th in the Championship)

Cardiff were beaten 4-0 at home by West Brom and Swansea during 2021/22. The last time City suffered two home defeats by four-goal margins during a Football League season was back in 1999/2000, when Preston and Cambridge both won 4-0 at Ninian Park as the Bluebirds were relegated to the bottom division.

City collected just 25 points from their 23 home games in 2021/22 (7 wins and 4 draws). The last time the club won so few points at home during a Football League season was back in 1999/2000 (5 wins and 10 draws).

Using the 'three points for a win' system, there have been just seven seasons in which the Bluebirds have gained 25 points or less from their home matches.

1933/34 - 22 points from 21 home games (22nd in Division Three South, re-elected)
    1984/85 - 18 points from 21 home games (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    1994/95 - 21 points from 23 home games (22nd in Division Two, relegated)
    1999/00 - 25 points from 23 home games (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    2013/14 - 20 points from 19 home games (20th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2018/19 - 20 points from 19 home games (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 25 points from 23 home games (currently 19th in the Championship)

As things stand, Cardiff are 20th in the Championship home table, although Hull and Peterborough could move above them next Saturday. Given their woeful home results throughout the majority of 2021/22, it's remarkable that the Bluebirds have never once found themselves in the relegation zone. I think it's fair to say City have been extremely lucky to find a small cluster of clubs at the bottom end of the Championship this season who, for one reason or another, are in even worse shape than they are.

One thing for certain is that Steve Morison and his staff have got one hell of a job ahead of them this summer if they are to arrest a slide which has seen City produce some of the club's worst Football League stats for decades during 2021/22.

Re: Grim stats from a dismal home campaign

Any positives?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In statistical terms, Cardiff City's 2021/22 home Championship campaign was not only the club's worst in decades, but it was also one of the poorest in the Bluebirds' entire history. While the stats alone don't tell the whole story, I reckon they paint a reasonably accurate picture of a season in which the team struggled badly at the Cardiff City Stadium from the opening-day draw with now-relegated Barnsley through to Saturday's stalemate with fellow strugglers Birmingham.

Defeats

The Bluebirds were beaten in no less than 12 of their 23 home league matches during 2021/22. The only other time the club has lost 12 home games in a 46-match Football League season was in 1994/95, when City were relegated to Division Three. However, the club's worst home campaign was 1984/85, when Alan Durban's side was beaten in 13 of its 21 home games during another dreadful season that ended in relegation.

There have been just seven seasons in which the team has lost ten or more of its home league games. All the others ended in relegation with the exception of 1933/34, when City finished rock bottom of the Third Division (South) and were forced to apply for re-election to the Football League.

1933/34 - 11 home defeats (22nd in Division Three South, re-elected)
    1981/82 - 10 home defeats (20th in Division Two, relegated)
    1984/85 - 13 home defeats (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    1985/86 - 11 home defeats (22nd in Division Three, relegated)
    1994/95 - 12 home defeats (22nd in Division Two, relegated)
    2018/19 - 11 home defeats (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 12 home defeats (currently 19th in the Championship)

Goals

City failed to find the back of the net in 11 home league games during the 2021/22 campaign and scored just 22 goals in their 23 Championship matches at the CCS, which equals a club record for the lowest total of home goals scored in a 46-game Football League season. The only other campaign in which the Bluebirds netted just 22 goals from 23 home games was the disastrous 1985/86 season, when the club was relegated to the Fourth Division for the first time in its history.

There have been just five seasons in which the team has scored 22 or fewer home league goals, and two of those were the recent Premier League campaigns.

The seasons concerned were:

1979/80 - 21 goals from 21 home games (15th in Division Two)
    1985/86 - 22 goals from 23 home games (22nd in Division Three, relegated)
    2013/14 - 20 goals from 19 home games (20th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2018/19 - 21 goals from 19 home games (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 22 goals from 23 home games (currently 19th in the Championship)

Cardiff were beaten 4-0 at home by West Brom and Swansea during 2021/22. The last time City suffered two home defeats by four-goal margins during a Football League season was back in 1999/2000, when Preston and Cambridge both won 4-0 at Ninian Park as the Bluebirds were relegated to the bottom division.

City collected just 25 points from their 23 home games in 2021/22 (7 wins and 4 draws). The last time the club won so few points at home during a Football League season was back in 1999/2000 (5 wins and 10 draws).

Using the 'three points for a win' system, there have been just seven seasons in which the Bluebirds have gained 25 points or less from their home matches.

1933/34 - 22 points from 21 home games (22nd in Division Three South, re-elected)
    1984/85 - 18 points from 21 home games (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    1994/95 - 21 points from 23 home games (22nd in Division Two, relegated)
    1999/00 - 25 points from 23 home games (21st in Division Two, relegated)
    2013/14 - 20 points from 19 home games (20th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2018/19 - 20 points from 19 home games (18th in the Premier League, relegated)
    2021/22 - 25 points from 23 home games (currently 19th in the Championship)

As things stand, Cardiff are 20th in the Championship home table, although Hull and Peterborough could move above them next Saturday. Given their woeful home results throughout the majority of 2021/22, it's remarkable that the Bluebirds have never once found themselves in the relegation zone. I think it's fair to say City have been extremely lucky to find a small cluster of clubs at the bottom end of the Championship this season who, for one reason or another, are in even worse shape than they are.

One thing for certain is that Steve Morison and his staff have got one hell of a job ahead of them this summer if they are to arrest a slide which has seen City produce some of the club's worst Football League stats for decades during 2021/22.
    That really brings home just how poor we’ve been and I’m sure all of us who have been supporting the club for some time can remember times when the crowd reaction to the crap that’s been served up for most of this season will have been far more critical than it has been from current day crowds.

I’d just add one stat of my own - since Neil Harris won his first two home games in November/December 2019, City have won just nineteen home league matches in sixty if you include the Play Off game with Fulham. Is there a worse record in the Football League that that? I doubt it.

An emergence of youngsters, a willingness to try and play football on the deck.
    This is a reset that’s been needed.
    We need to be patient next season and stick to the plan.
    I’m looking forward to seeing players arriving at the club with a better attitude and see it for the great opportunity that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I’m looking forward to seeing players arriving at the club with a better attitude and see it for the great opportunity that it is.
    Out of interest, who do you believe has displayed a poor attitude this season?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, nevertheless, I thought I'd answer it.
    No player has displayed a poor attitude, there's just too many who are simply not good enough.

This was similar to when Steve Hansen took over Wales in rugby. He was more concerned with improving the performances rather than winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Any positives?
    What from this bloke? You cannot be serious.
    He's been having wet dreams recently at the prospect of such a post, one jam packed with unflattering numbers.

If some of you who know him didn't, I would swear he was a jack troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I know this question wasn't directed at me, nevertheless, I thought I'd answer it.
    No player has displayed a poor attitude, there's just too many who are simply not good enough.
    Edit: Bacuna.

Good post. Change for the better has started.
    Also, a football person between manager and owner is fundamental if we are to make any great strides, otherwise we shall continue to tread water, at best!

A better attitude is what I said.

A better attitude is what I said.
    OK. So who would you regard as having an attitude that needs bettering?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That really brings home just how poor we’ve been and I’m sure all of us who have been supporting the club for some time can remember times when the crowd reaction to the crap that’s been served up for most of this season will have been far more critical than it has been from current day crowds.

I’d just add one stat of my own - since Neil Harris won his first two home games in November/December 2019, City have won just nineteen home league matches in sixty if you include the Play Off game with Fulham. Is there a worse record in the Football League that that? I doubt it.

Hi Bob,

A decade ago we were within penalties of beating Liverpool. Now we can't even beat Luton. This summer we need 15 miracles.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

Hi Bob,

A decade ago we were within penalties of beating Liverpool. Now we can't even beat Luton. This summer we need 15 miracles.

StT.
    <><
    1). We beat Luton on their own ground this season, last November.
    2). Luton haven't been beaten on 32 occasions out of 44 this season, so we are not the only ones to struggle finding a way to get points off them this year.

OK. So who would you regard as having an attitude that needs bettering?
    A lot of the current crop need a fresh start elsewhere. Doesn’t make them bad but have become stale.

Players that come in and appreciate the step up in club/level that this would be for them.

We have a good club with brilliant facilities, so I am really hopping that they take the opportunity they have here to become fan favourites (it don’t take much) or even to improve us and themselves even if it means they are sold for profit.

Bob, I've had a look for 15 minutes as I was curious about this as well. Criteria; sides have to have played 3 seasons in the Championship, League 1 or League 2. Sides with less than 3 seasons in the FL are not included, neither are sides who have played in the PL and have played less games as a result.

10 sides have won less games over the timeframe you specified than us (played/won):

Cardiff 59 19
    Bradford 53 18
    Gillingham 53 18
    Fleetwood 55 17
    Shrewsbury 54 16
    Stevenage 53 16
    Oldham 53 15
    Birmingham 59 14
    Rochdale 52 14
    Scunthorpe 55 12
    AFC Wimbledon 55 11

You'll notice that only us and Birmingham have played a greater number of home fixtures as League 1 and 2 didn't complete their seasons due to Covid. If you look at it in terms of win percentage, 9 sides have fared worse than us.

Cardiff 32.2%
    Bristol City 31.7%
    Fleetwood 30.9%
    Stevenage 30.2%
    Shrewsbury 29.6%
    Oldham 28.3%
    Rochdale 26.9%
    Birmingham 23.7%
    Scunthorpe 21.8%
    AFC Wimbledon 20.0%

Our defeat percentage is 11th worst.

Cardiff 39.0%
    Lincoln City 39.3%
    Swindon 40.0%
    Reading 40.7%
    Doncaster 41.8%
    Bristol Rovers 43.4%
    Bristol City 45.0%
    Hull 45.6%
    Birmingham 50.8%
    Scunthorpe 50.9%
    Oldham 58.5%

9 sides have a worse points per game rate than us.

Despite a pretty poor win rate, we scored 76 goals at home. A quick conversion to goals per game gives us 1.29 goals a game, ranking us 41st out of 64 sides. Defensively we would be ranked 34th with an average of 1.14 per game.

It's perhaps a bit surprising that we've had such a poor return when we've been better than over half of the sides defensively at home, and we've not been too shabby up front, given the wins and points we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    1). We beat Luton on their own ground this season, last November.
    2). Luton haven't been beaten on 32 occasions out of 44 this season, so we are not the only ones to struggle finding a way to get points off them this year.
    All of which may carry some weight were it not for Bristol City, Bournemouth, West Brom, Reading, Middlesbrough, QPR, Hull, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Fulham and Swansea. The opening post in this thread is not based on opinions, but facts, as is the one I mentioned about a win rate of less than one in three in sixty home matches.

There are a few on here who are always moaning about City (I’m sure you’d put me in that category), but, come on, the figures are woeful - you’re welcome to try and find a club with a worse home record in the Football League over the past sixty games than us, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t.

Playing the happy clapper and making out supporters have no right to be critical of what we’ve had to endure this season is pathetic - people aren’t just moaning for the sake of it here, TLG has put in context how the 21/22 season compares to all of the others since 1920 and it’s been dreadful - there’s no other word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bob, I've had a look for 15 minutes as I was curious about this as well. Criteria; sides have to have played 3 seasons in the Championship, League 1 or League 2. Sides with less than 3 seasons in the FL are not included, neither are sides who have played in the PL and have played less games as a result.

10 sides have won less games over the timeframe you specified than us (played/won):

Cardiff 59 19
    Bradford 53 18
    Gillingham 53 18
    Fleetwood 55 17
    Shrewsbury 54 16
    Stevenage 53 16
    Oldham 53 15
    Birmingham 59 14
    Rochdale 52 14
    Scunthorpe 55 12
    AFC Wimbledon 55 11

You'll notice that only us and Birmingham have played a greater number of home fixtures as League 1 and 2 didn't complete their seasons due to Covid. If you look at it in terms of win percentage, 9 sides have fared worse than us.

Cardiff 32.2%
    Bristol City 31.7%
    Fleetwood 30.9%
    Stevenage 30.2%
    Shrewsbury 29.6%
    Oldham 28.3%
    Rochdale 26.9%
    Birmingham 23.7%
    Scunthorpe 21.8%
    AFC Wimbledon 20.0%

Our defeat percentage is 11th worst.

Cardiff 39.0%
    Lincoln City 39.3%
    Swindon 40.0%
    Reading 40.7%
    Doncaster 41.8%
    Bristol Rovers 43.4%
    Bristol City 45.0%
    Hull 45.6%
    Birmingham 50.8%
    Scunthorpe 50.9%
    Oldham 58.5%

9 sides have a worse points per game rate than us.

Despite a pretty poor win rate, we scored 76 goals at home. A quick conversion to goals per game gives us 1.29 goals a game, ranking us 41st out of 64 sides. Defensively we would be ranked 34th with an average of 1.14 per game.

It's perhaps a bit surprising that we've had such a poor return when we've been better than over half of the sides defensively at home, and we've not been too shabby up front, given the wins and points we've got.
    Thanks Eric, all I can say is that it feels worse than that!

I’ll make a couple of observations. In 19/20 we didn’t lose too many once we stopped winning after picking up three points from seven of our first ten home games and our goalscoring was greatly helped last season by the fact that we scored three goals or more in seven of the eight matches we won.

Thank you Lone Gunman for providing those stats...and also to Eric the Half Bee over the season- these are read with much interest and admiration.

It is somewhat extraordinary that we find ourselves where we are despite all these stats. I look forward with optimism to next season - I think we have the nucleus of a good team with the addition of some players with leadership and 'nous'. At this time i am fully supportive of SM.....!

All of which may carry some weight were it not for Bristol City, Bournemouth, West Brom, Reading, Middlesbrough, QPR, Hull, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Fulham and Swansea. The opening post in this thread is not based on opinions, but facts, as is the one I mentioned about a win rate of less than one in three in sixty home matches.

There are a few on here who are always moaning about City (I’m sure you’d put me in that category), but, come on, the figures are woeful - you’re welcome to try and find a club with a worse home record in the Football League over the past sixty games than us, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t.

Playing the happy clapper and making out supporters have no right to be critical of what we’ve had to endure this season is pathetic - people aren’t just moaning for the sake of it here, TLG has put in context how the 21/22 season compares to all of the others since 1920 and it’s been dreadful - there’s no other word for it.
    I'm a moaner, too. But I think the last few games have to be viewed from a different perspective to those prior. I think we would have picked up more points if Smithies had been playing, and also have missed Pack and Flint at times - daresay even Bacuna with his head screwed on. Points won have almost become irrelevant. We've been awful at times, but we've also seen hardly any of the hoofball we've been forced to watch for 3 seasons.

Any positives?
    back playing in Blue

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm a moaner, too. But I think the last few games have to be viewed from a different perspective to those prior. I think we would have picked up more points if Smithies had been playing, and also have missed Pack and Flint at times - daresay even Bacuna with his head screwed on. Points won have almost become irrelevant. We've been awful at times, but we've also seen hardly any of the hoofball we've been forced to watch for 3 seasons.
    Pack hasn't played a single minute in a league game since we lost to the Wurzels on 22nd January and Bacuna hasn't featured in the squad for a league game since he was sent off against Bournemouth on 30th December.

Any positives?
    Yes .

Great to.be back in a ground with fans way much later than most sadly .

I've enjoyed watching those young players develop.

A new manager playing I'm a different way.

And the excellent loan sigings we made .

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Edit: Bacuna.
    Edit :Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm a moaner, too. But I think the last few games have to be viewed from a different perspective to those prior. I think we would have picked up more points if Smithies had been playing, and also have missed Pack and Flint at times - daresay even Bacuna with his head screwed on.
    Smithies was dropped after a 4-0 defeat. Pack hasn't kicked a ball since the cup tie at Liverpool in the first week of February. Bacuna hasn't played since December and Flint was in the side when it was beaten 5-1 by Blackburn, 4-0 by West Brom and 4-0 by Swansea. I'm not sure any of them would have made a great deal of difference.