+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grim stats from a dismal home campaign

Re: Grim stats from a dismal home campaign

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Smithies was dropped after a 4-0 defeat. Pack hasn't kicked a ball since the cup tie at Liverpool in the first week of February. Bacuna hasn't played since December and Flint was in the side when it was beaten 5-1 by Blackburn, 4-0 by West Brom and 4-0 by Swansea. I'm not sure any of them would have made a great deal of difference.
    Now I've heard it all if people are saying the reason we have been so awful recently is we are missing pack and Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What from this bloke? You cannot be serious.
    He's been having wet dreams recently at the prospect of such a post, one jam packed with unflattering numbers.

If some of you who know him didn't, I would swear he was a jack troll.

Well Dave laughed at my Phyllis Nelson/Move Closer 1980s joke re how hopeless Curtis Nelson is/was/always going to be on Saturday

One of the strange things watching City when we are sh1t (and boy we are very sh1t right now) is a curious self mocking sense of humour that us city fans have

Like Lynex for England
    I saw Ronnie Moore score
    That Gareth Stoker is a decent player

OK its self deprecating but when a turd is a turd its very difficult not to present it as a turd

We all know this season has been a stinking big turd even if you put tits on it it'd still be a big pile of sh1t

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Well Dave laughed at my Phyllis Nelson/Move Closer 1980s joke re how hopeless Curtis Nelson is/was/always going to be on Saturday
    We were singing it for ages in the pub afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks Eric, all I can say is that it feels worse than that!

I’ll make a couple of observations. In 19/20 we didn’t lose too many once we stopped winning after picking up three points from seven of our first ten home games and our goalscoring was greatly helped last season by the fact that we scored three goals or more in seven of the eight matches we won.
    If memory serves, no side won less home games than us in the whole of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If memory serves, no side won less home games than us in the whole of 2021.
    The combined total of home wins for 2020/21 (8) and 2021/22 (7) is less than Warnock's team managed in 2017/18 (16).

Have we ever had a season where our top goal scorer was a defender? Flint with 6 goals puts us bottom of the top goal scorers. Remember Madine who couldn't hit a barn door, well he got 9 goals this season.

The combined total of home wins for 2020/21 (8) and 2021/22 (7) is less than Warnock's team managed in 2017/18 (16).
    Now there's one for the scrapbook, a compliment for NW, even if it wasn't meant as one

Thank you for the stats. Really interesting- we were all well aware of the 12 defeats but good to see comparisons. No wonder we are so bloody miserable. Interesting that most of the other awful seasons have ended in relegation. I’m all for seeing attractive football but can ‘playing the ball on the floor’ really compensate for seeing a winning team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Thank you for the stats. Really interesting- we were all well aware of the 12 defeats but good to see comparisons. No wonder we are so bloody miserable. Interesting that most of the other awful seasons have ended in relegation. I’m all for seeing attractive football but can ‘playing the ball on the floor’ really compensate for seeing a winning team?
    Are you saying that playing the ball on the floor was responsible for those twelve home defeats?

International

Amazing stat and lots of people hated Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Amazing stat and lots of people hated Warnock?
    Not when he was winning matches they didn’t. The problems with Warnock really started following promotion. The club is still recovering from the players he signed and the contracts he dished out from that point forwards.

It shows how important an appointment of DOF is even more so, when you look at the lost opportunity because of those bad signings.
    I doubt the current owner has an appetite for this kind of position, However if it was my money and I got into a business I didn't really understand or had little knowledge of, the very first thing I'd do is appoint a successful person from that industry to head it up and watch were my money was being spent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bob, I've had a look for 15 minutes as I was curious about this as well. Criteria; sides have to have played 3 seasons in the Championship, League 1 or League 2. Sides with less than 3 seasons in the FL are not included, neither are sides who have played in the PL and have played less games as a result.

10 sides have won less games over the timeframe you specified than us (played/won):

Cardiff 59 19
    Bradford 53 18
    Gillingham 53 18
    Fleetwood 55 17
    Shrewsbury 54 16
    Stevenage 53 16
    Oldham 53 15
    Birmingham 59 14
    Rochdale 52 14
    Scunthorpe 55 12
    AFC Wimbledon 55 11

You'll notice that only us and Birmingham have played a greater number of home fixtures as League 1 and 2 didn't complete their seasons due to Covid. If you look at it in terms of win percentage, 9 sides have fared worse than us.

Cardiff 32.2%
    Bristol City 31.7%
    Fleetwood 30.9%
    Stevenage 30.2%
    Shrewsbury 29.6%
    Oldham 28.3%
    Rochdale 26.9%
    Birmingham 23.7%
    Scunthorpe 21.8%
    AFC Wimbledon 20.0%

Our defeat percentage is 11th worst.

Cardiff 39.0%
    Lincoln City 39.3%
    Swindon 40.0%
    Reading 40.7%
    Doncaster 41.8%
    Bristol Rovers 43.4%
    Bristol City 45.0%
    Hull 45.6%
    Birmingham 50.8%
    Scunthorpe 50.9%
    Oldham 58.5%

9 sides have a worse points per game rate than us.

Despite a pretty poor win rate, we scored 76 goals at home. A quick conversion to goals per game gives us 1.29 goals a game, ranking us 41st out of 64 sides. Defensively we would be ranked 34th with an average of 1.14 per game.

It's perhaps a bit surprising that we've had such a poor return when we've been better than over half of the sides defensively at home, and we've not been too shabby up front, given the wins and points we've got.
    What makes it worse, is for a good chunk of that time we were still receiving parachute payments, which should have given us a massive advantage over a lot of teams.

Are you saying that playing the ball on the floor was responsible for those twelve home defeats?
    To a point yes. Especially when you don't have the players to do so. Some moaned, even when we won, that we only scored from set plays. Oh for the days when we would score at all.

This season was terrible so i'm just happy we stayed up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    To a point yes. Especially when you don't have the players to do so. Some moaned, even when we won, that we only scored from set plays. Oh for the days when we would score at all.
    But a fair portion of those twelve losses were under McCarthy and I certainly wasn’t watching a team determined to keep the ball on the deck in many of the losses under Morison. In our most recent losses , I’d say we did try to pass the ball a lot against Luton, Lord knows what we were doing against Swansea and we didn’t take Fulham on by playing on the deck. Like Neil Harris before him, Steve Morison had to resort to our usual approach because we didn’t have the squad to play effective passing football.

But a fair portion of those twelve losses were under McCarthy and I certainly wasn’t watching a team determined to keep the ball on the deck in many of the losses under Morison. In our most recent losses , I’d say we did try to pass the ball a lot against Luton, Lord knows what we were doing against Swansea and we didn’t take Fulham on by playing on the deck. Like Neil Harris before him, Steve Morison had to resort to our usual approach because we didn’t have the squad to play effective passing football.
    How are these kind of players getting contracts anywhere, if they can’t do the basics?
    Their appears more dross around now than ever .