Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
It's not changing the subject. You and Dorcus turned it into a party political issue and the fact is that poverty rates under the current administration is lower than it was under the previous.

Of course, there are lies, damned lies and statistics, and depending on the time frame nearly every statistic can tell an opposite story.

Pensioner poverty is slightly rising for example - True
Pensioner povery is also consistently lower under the Conservatives than Labour - also true.

What isn't true, or helpful, is too purely suggest the answer lies in party politics, because plainly it doesnt. THAT is selling a lie to pensioners.
To quote another contributor from this parish: 'Absolute bollocks!'

I was talking about political values not individual policies. Although I am certain that poor pensioners would get more support and respect under a Labour government than a Tory one - even if only marginally.

The issue you commented on (quoting Dorcus who quoted me in response to LOM) was about whether the government (the state, collective responsibility and provision) should be the answer to individual hardship and distress, or whether it should fall to friends, family or neighbours. LOM thinks the latter. He thinks we should not always expect our government to act. You clearly share that view - although you come at it from the angle that it makes little or no difference what sort of government we have.

THAT is selling a lie to pensioners.