+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1521402532857274370

Our Government are beyond a joke, I don't understand how people can support or defend this.

Re: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

In addition here is a devastating thread on tory 'achievements' since 2010.

https://twitter.com/technopopulist/s...22232097021953

I think they will put a windfall tax in and provide relief this winter , as soon as the revenues , profits , VAT rocket as you can then take more , me I' d temporary take away the 23 per cent cost of household electricity for green taxes that should cater for the rise .

But I'm guessing the other moaners will be on then.

All arties should have committed to Nuclear energy but hey another load of different moans comes along

I'd frack some of the 1300 trillion cubic feet under the UK , but hey another loads of moaners will come along .

I'd open more north sea oil fields and grab some of the 1.7 to 3.3 billion barrels , but hey another loads of moaners will come along .

I'd buy Saudi oil but hey another loads of moaners will come along

I'd do a deal with USA for its fracking reserves but hey another loads of moaners will come along.

Green lobby has done us up like a kipper

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think they will put a windfall tax in and provide relief this winter , as soon as the revenues , profits , VAT rocket as you can then take more , me I' d temporary take away the 23 per cent cost of household electricity for green taxes that should cater for the rise .

All arties should have committed to Nuclear energy but hey another load of different moans comes along

I'd frack some of the 1300 trillion cubic feet under the UK , but hey another loads of moaners will come along .

I'd open more north sea oil fields and grab some of the 1.7 to 3.3 billion barrels , but hey another loads of moaners will come along .

I'd do a deal with USA for its fracking reserves but hey another loads of moaners will come along.

Well I mean if we'd listened to scientists in the past and invested more into renewables and nuclear we wouldn't be having this crisis. It's incredibly lazy to say the green lobby has done us like a kipper when they're trying to save us from the catastrophic effects of climate change.

Oil profits are incredible high right now.. but yeah it's the green's fault. Incredible.

Meanwhile, in France: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...d-energy-bills

Why do you think the Government would put a windfall tax in, in winter if they haven't done it already? There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are even considering it.

By winter millions of people will be in large amounts of debt and poverty because they can't afford to pay for their utilities.

It's Labour's fault for not going nuclear though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1521402532857274370

Our Government are beyond a joke, I don't understand how people can support or defend this.
    Are you saying that in a country of 70m people, not a single bad thing to happen to anyone, and every single unverified story means it's a damning indictment of the government in charge?

By your measure, no government has ever been a success in any country at any period of history.

I did hear him try to claim credit for introducing a pass which enables a seventy seven year old to spend hours keeping warm on a bus because she can’t afford to heat her home didn’t I?

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post

Why do you think the Government would put a windfall tax in, in winter if they haven't done it already? There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are even considering it.

By winter millions of people will be in large amounts of debt and poverty because they can't afford to pay for their utilities.

I appreciate that making difficult long term decisions may not be your kind of politics (you gloss over the bad nuclear decisions for example) but what if a short term windfall tax leads to a long term withdrawal of investment in renewal energy sources, and so we have another problem in a few years? Thats the governments concern.

Worth noting as well, that with increased profits they will be paying increased taxation too.

I'm open minded on a windfall tax, but how I can see how it's a short term fix that may be a bad decision in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Are you saying that in a country of 70m people, not a single bad thing to happen to anyone, and every single unverified story means it's a damning indictment of the government in charge?

By your measure, no government has ever been a success in any country at any period of history.
    You do this repeatedly, you deflect from the issue and then completely make up what my point is.

The issue is increasing poverty. I am saying the government's actions/inaction is causing poverty. The fact that we aren't helping this person to me is insane.

There is literally nothing this government could do that you wouldn't defend.

Answer me this, is poverty in the UK increasing or decreasing? Yes or no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I did hear him try to claim credit for introducing a pass which enables a seventy seven year old to spend hours keeping warm on a bus because she can’t afford to heat her home didn’t I?
    Is free bus travel not a good thing? Whats your solution to Elsies problems?

We'd get more more for our buck as those energy companies would have made more profit , we are also coming out of the winter months it makes sense to apply this nearer the winter months and see where the Russian issues are .

And Id say that the green lobby who ae mostly wealthy returned comfortable folk don't give a flying duck about the poor and how they are going to pay for all this electric cars , green boilers .

Its good to see the New, New , Newer Labour has at last U turned on nuclear power , lot of them still on the fence though along with the Liberal party as the young vote is key .

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    You do this repeatedly, you deflect from the issue and then completely make up what my point is.

The issue is increasing poverty. I am saying the government's actions/inaction is causing poverty. The fact that we aren't helping this person to me is insane.

There is literally nothing this government could do that you wouldn't defend.

Answer me this, is poverty in the UK increasing or decreasing? Yes or no answer.
    I'm not deflecting from the issue - I'm saying the post is absurd and to take one example (which we are taking for face value) and extrapolate from that that the 'government are a joke' is ridiculous. And if so, then every government in history has also been a joke.

To answer your question; Overall, notwithstanding the current energy and cost of living crisis, which absolutely needs sorting, but is also global in nature..

The answer is no. It's not increasing. It's stayed around 21-22%

https://www.jrf.org.uk/data

Buses I use get have the bloody windows open because of Welsh Gov Covid advise , best Elsie stays in England on their warmer buses .

We have four 80 plus year olds in the street and having chatted with them as I like to help them with their bins / gardens stuff etc they do find the costs have gone up but by being a bit canny with radiators valves and temperatures, and not heating rooms they don't use much , sadly as they age , they are manging I've shown one or two of them what to do with the timer etc and they have been grateful, plucky lot I must say and impressively independent , one said I remember a time when heating was in one room, not a radiator in very room with instant hot water .

The point in the interview, don't know whether you saw it, is that this woman has to resort to riding on a bus because she cannot afford to stay in her home during the day.

It says in the interview that her monthly energy bills went from £17 to £84. It is also pointed out in the interview that energy companies are making billions of profits, so perhaps they could take smaller profits to help people out. Additionally, in the interview, a windfall tax is suggested - this is when companies who have experienced an unexpected bonus of profits can let the country share in the good fortune.

Buses I use get have the bloody windows open because of Welsh Gov Covid advise , best Elsie stays in England on their warmer buses .

We have four 80 plus year olds in the street and having chatted with them as I like to help them with their bins / gardens stuff etc they do find the costs have gone up but by being a bit canny with radiators valves and temperatures, and not heating rooms they don't use much , sadly as they age , they are manging I've shown one or two of them what to do with the timer etc and they have been grateful, plucky lot I must say and impressively independent , one said I remember a time when heating was in one room, not a radiator in very room with instant hot water .
    Presumably, that 80 year old also remembers a time when she could afford to heat her entire house.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The point in the interview, don't know whether you saw it, is that this woman has to resort to riding on a bus because she cannot afford to stay in her home during the day.

It says in the interview that her monthly energy bills went from £17 to £84. It is also pointed out in the interview that energy companies are making billions of profits, so perhaps they could take smaller profits to help people out. Additionally, in the interview, a windfall tax is suggested - this is when companies who have experienced an unexpected bonus of profits can let the country share in the good fortune.
    Does she? We will take this at face value. It seems a peculiar and dramatic set of circumstances. One that is handy to some for political reasons. £17 a month is also VERY VERY cheap for someone who presumably uses a lot of energy (such that it is now unaffordable) Energy bills have gone up but that is a 500% increase. I cannot think of a set of circumstances where a bill would increase so much, can you?

I don't doubt she is struggling and needs help - my point is, has she been to her council? Who are her council? Her energy provider etc. Has she spoken to citizens advice etc?

The lady needs help, that isn't in doubt, but it strikes me she is being used for political gain somewhat.

I appreciate that making difficult long term decisions may not be your kind of politics (you gloss over the bad nuclear decisions for example) but what if a short term windfall tax leads to a long term withdrawal of investment in renewal energy sources, and so we have another problem in a few years? Thats the governments concern.

Worth noting as well, that with increased profits they will be paying increased taxation too.

I'm open minded on a windfall tax, but how I can see how it's a short term fix that may be a bad decision in the long run
    You're just taking the piss now, surely?

Energy companies having massive profits and not being taxed accordingly 'just in case' it leads to a long-term withdrawal of renewable energy. Laughable.

Who's in charge: the energy companies or the government? They can be legally forced to co-operate with the green and renewable legislation but instead let's be blackmailed by companies while people are literally starving.

Does she? We will take this at face value. It seems a peculiar and dramatic set of circumstances. One that is handy to some for political reasons. £17 a month is also VERY VERY cheap for someone who presumably uses a lot of energy (such that it is now unaffordable) Energy bills have gone up but that is a 500% increase. I cannot think of a set of circumstances where a bill would increase so much, can you?

I don't doubt she is struggling and needs help - my point is, has she been to her council? Who are her council? Her energy provider etc. Has she spoken to citizens advice etc?

The lady needs help, that isn't in doubt, but it strikes me she is being used for political gain somewhat.

Yeah, she's definitely the bad one.

We'd get more more for our buck as those energy companies would have made more profit , we are also coming out of the winter months it makes sense to apply this nearer the winter months and see where the Russian issues are .

And Id say that the green lobby who ae mostly wealthy returned comfortable folk don't give a flying duck about the poor and how they are going to pay for all this electric cars , green boilers .

Its good to see the New, New , Newer Labour has at last U turned on nuclear power , lot of them still on the fence though along with the Liberal party as the young vote is key .
    Labour aren't in charge the last time I checked so maybe keep your focus on the current government who, to counter a cost of living crisis, have lent households £250 while the energy companies continue to show humongous profits.

I asked what evidence you had to suggest a windfall tax could be introduced in winter and you provided diddly squat.

It makes no sense introducing it in the winter months, unless you meant the winter we've just had. Are people not using gas and electric now for their households?

Ah, so when Johnson was coming up with his scheme he was thinking of all of those old ladies who can’t afford to heat their houses was he?

You're just taking the piss now, surely?

Energy companies having massive profits and not being taxed accordingly 'just in case' it leads to a long-term withdrawal of renewable energy. Laughable.

Who's in charge: the energy companies or the government? They can be legally forced to co-operate with the green and renewable legislation but instead let's be blackmailed by companies while people are literally starving.
    I don't think you understand how long term investment works. The point is that that is done in conjunction with government and places the risk and rewards on the business. Things like windfall taxes are not always wholly positive because it can reduce trust and investment in sectors we need it in. Nonetheless, I am not against it in this case. I just realise it's more complex than you make out, where you think there are simple cost-free answers to everything, but there isnt.

Do you at least recognise that the increased profits mean increase tax receipts?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ah, so when Johnson was coming up with his scheme he was thinking of all of those old ladies who can’t afford to heat their houses was he?
    Well when providing free bus travel for the elderly, yes it was probably aimed at older people on lower incomes, yes.

Who do you think it was aimed at? Young footballers?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah, she's definitely the bad one.
    It's about finding a solution. I dont think you or others want to help her. I think you want to use her for your political benefit.

The energy cap recently went up 50%. That's a serious rise. But her bills (from £17 to £85) have gone up 500%. Ten times the rate. That doesn't strike you as odd?

My cousin works in one of the council hubs alongside the money advice team.

She's told me that they have been told that there isn't anything available (unless you qualify for a welfare benefit) to assist with the energy crisis.

Sorry, that's not true; they can provide foodbank vouchers so that she doesn't starve.

Well when providing free bus travel for the elderly, yes it was probably aimed at older people on lower incomes, yes.

Who do you think it was aimed at? Young footballers?
    No, I think it is ludicrous for a Prime Minister facing the question he was asked to try and claim credit for a situation which should never happen in the twenty first century in what is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world. The argument isn’t whether free buses are a good thing or not, it’s whether they should ever be used in the manner that poor lady is using them.