+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Re: Good Morning Britain - Boris Johnson Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    I'm angry that the costs were allowed to double. How hasn't that been clear?

Do I want a price cap or not? Yes please, but can it be one that allows the general public to afford to use their heating and run a bath without going into debt.

You seem adverse to the idea that the gargantuan corporations whose profits have soared (from BBC article today "BP's profits for the first three months of this year have more than doubled after oil and gas prices soared. The energy giant reported an underlying profit of $6.2bn (£4.9bn) compared to $2.6bn in the same period last year - ahead of expectations.")
    pay a bit more so that Elsie and co. don't have to ride the bus to stay warm during the day or a mum with 3 kids doesn't have to skip meals so that one of her kids doesn't miss out.

We're living in the shit now, James. Why can companies make billions in profits while people starve? Tax them and ensure that the money goes to affordable energy. If they threaten to pull money out of green energy, tax them even more.
    It's so simple isn't it! I don't need lecturing on the morality of it all - I agree with you on that. It's how to properly fix it in the real world.

Like I said, I am open to the idea. Discussing it is no bad thing and at least we have moved on from the tone earlier which was descending into the usual "BLoNdE mAn BaD" stuff.

What you will never do is eradicate every single story like the one in question here. There may be specific circumstances here that we aren't aware of and no government can protect every single person from any price rises.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's so simple isn't it! I don't need lecturing on the morality of it all - I agree with you on that. It's how to properly fix it in the real world.

Like I said, I am open to the idea. Discussing it is no bad thing and at least we have moved on from the tone earlier which was descending into the usual "BLoNdE mAn BaD" stuff.

What you will never do is eradicate every single story like the one in question here. There may be specific circumstances here that we aren't aware of and no government can protect every single person from any price rises.
    This situation is a lot simpler than BlOnDe MaN makes out though.

For far too long these corporations treat us like we're in an abusive relationship, basically telling us "you think things are bad now but you're lucky I don't leave you. Nobody else will love you".

If they paid their "fair share" and the money went to subsidising the costs of living then I would hazard a guess that we'd be living in a more affordable society (that includes affordable housing).

I don't know what the alternative is. I guess it's what's happening now so I'd rather take the risk of pissing off some CEOs who will ultimately know that their shareholders will still get huge dividends regardless (maybe one less yacht in each financial year though).

1 - We have invested in green energy. More than almost anywhere else - check it out. Our energy use is transformed.
    How is that measure relevant, we were less shit than everyone else? We are at quite a significant natural advantage when it comes to renewables because of our geography. You asked for a long term solution, that was it and many people have called for it for years.

2 - I compltetely understand people not short term help
    That didn't really come across.

3 - I agree - their priority is always to profit and shareholders, employees, customers etc. They are private businesses. It doesnt make them immoral or not part of the solution though
    You said immoral, not me. It's why taxing them and spending the revenue on things we need is a better idea than just trusting they will invest in the right things.

Oh look another straw man

Did they ask him why theres an NI increase when he stood by a bus saying Brexit lets fund the NHS.?

I think it's actually worth noting, because if there weren't free buses then she wouldnt be riding them.

Nonetheless, I agree, it shouldnt be happening. The question is why, and how do we solve it.

I'll repeat what I asked lardy:

The energy price cap went up 50%. Her bills went up 500%. Ten times the rate. Now if she came to you for help, would you throw your hands in the air and blame the Prime Minister, or would you try and find out the reason for a rise that is ten times above what it should be?
    I’ve not blamed Johnson for the rise in energy costs, all I’ve done in this thread is express my incredulity that his first instinct is to claim credit for a free bus scheme when asked a question like that. Typically, Johnson’s first instinct was to think of himself and produce a crass reply that had nothing to do with the point at issue. Furthermore, when put in an awkward position, it’s all about self preservation, not party considerations - he introduced the scheme, not the Conservative party, the man is not fit to run a bath, let alone this country.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve not blamed Johnson for the rise in energy costs, all I’ve done in this thread is express my incredulity that his first instinct is to claim credit for a free bus scheme when asked a question like that. Typically, Johnson’s first instinct was to think of himself and produce a crass reply that had nothing to do with the point at issue. Furthermore, when put in an awkward position, it’s all about self preservation, not party considerations - he introduced the scheme, not the Conservative party, the man is not fit to run a bath, let alone this country.
    It's a fair criticism. The bloke is unquestionably egotistical.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    How is that measure relevant, we were less shit than everyone else? We are at quite a significant natural advantage when it comes to renewables because of our geography. You asked for a long term solution, that was it and many people have called for it for years.

That didn't really come across.

You said immoral, not me. It's why taxing them and spending the revenue on things we need is a better idea than just trusting they will invest in the right things.
    You are somewhat unfair there. The UK has halved it's use of fossil fuels since 2012 and the use of renewables have grown five fold. It's a quite spectacular change. And it all costs a lot of money to implement. It seems you want cheap energy and for it to be developed at no cost? Utopian.

https://grid.iamkate.com/?msclkid=a7...648dc9d13484d4

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Did they ask him why theres an NI increase when he stood by a bus saying Brexit lets fund the NHS.?
    Healthcare spending in 2022: £213bn
    Healthcare spending in 2019 (last year of being in the EU): £152bn
    Difference: increase of £61bn (increase of £20.3bn a year on average)
    £20.3bn a year / 52 weeks = £390m a week.

Of course, they haven't just taken the cheque we gave the EU, crossed out EU and written NHS on it. It's far more complex than that, but the UK is now spending far more per week on the NHS than even the bus proclaimed we would before we left the EU.

This is a simple fact. You may not like the NHS receiving this money, you may feel that the leave campaign used the NHS, you may feel it should have had increases sooner, but it is a fact nonetheless. And it's good too.

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/r..._a_e_g&inline=

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    This situation is a lot simpler than BlOnDe MaN makes out though.

For far too long these corporations treat us like we're in an abusive relationship, basically telling us "you think things are bad now but you're lucky I don't leave you. Nobody else will love you".

If they paid their "fair share" and the money went to subsidising the costs of living then I would hazard a guess that we'd be living in a more affordable society (that includes affordable housing).

I don't know what the alternative is. I guess it's what's happening now so I'd rather take the risk of pissing off some CEOs who will ultimately know that their shareholders will still get huge dividends regardless (maybe one less yacht in each financial year though).
    I just read for every £100 Norway gets in tax revenue in the North Sea we get £8. Is it any wonder basically everything in Norway is better than here?

You are somewhat unfair there. The UK has halved it's use of fossil fuels since 2012 and the use of renewables have grown five fold. It's a quite spectacular change. And it all costs a lot of money to implement. It seems you want cheap energy and for it to be developed at no cost? Utopian.

https://grid.iamkate.com/?msclkid=a7...648dc9d13484d4
    Precisely my point, why did it take us until 2012 to do it? I will tell you why, because governments around the world are in the pockets of companies, how do we change that? I don't know, but you seem to freely support it.

As a poster said earlier, it is like an abusive relationship. If all of us ordinary folk stop perpetuating these myths and doing the corporations bidding for them that will help.

Precisely my point, why did it take us until 2012 to do it? I will tell you why, because governments around the world are in the pockets of companies, how do we change that? I don't know, but you seem to freely support it.

As a poster said earlier, it is like an abusive relationship. If all of us ordinary folk stop perpetuating these myths and doing the corporations bidding for them that will help.
    God knows what you are on about here to be honest, but you now seem to be unhappy that the UK is in the process of decarbonising at a much more rapid rate than others.

If you can't see a success story for what it is then so be it.

God knows what you are on about here to be honest, but you now seem to be unhappy that the UK is in the process of decarbonising at a much more rapid rate than others.

If you can't see a success story for what it is then so be it.
    You keep believing that climate change started in 2012 and I will keep believing that we should have acted sooner.

If you were half as good at scrutinising politicians as you are at scrutinising pensioners in fuel poverty, you would be a force to reckon with (and also you wouldn't come across as a bit of a twat)

Healthcare spending in 2022: £213bn
    Healthcare spending in 2019 (last year of being in the EU): £152bn
    Difference: increase of £61bn (increase of £20.3bn a year on average)
    £20.3bn a year / 52 weeks = £390m a week.

Of course, they haven't just taken the cheque we gave the EU, crossed out EU and written NHS on it. It's far more complex than that, but the UK is now spending far more per week on the NHS than even the bus proclaimed we would before we left the EU.

This is a simple fact. You may not like the NHS receiving this money, you may feel that the leave campaign used the NHS, you may feel it should have had increases sooner, but it is a fact nonetheless. And it's good too.

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/r..._a_e_g&inline=
    A pinch of salt would probably be good considering the two years you use to prove your calculations were during a pandemic. I think an analytical mind like yours would reserve judgement on healthcare spending, but thank you for reminding me of my favourite quote:

'He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination'

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Presumably, that 80 year old also remembers a time when she could afford to heat her entire house.
    Lets hope all 80 year olds that are struggling can reach our to friends, family and neighbours, its interesting how the UK compares to our European neighbours when it comes to care , they don't all see the responsibility of every issue as the governments .

About time we heard for that alleged “bigoted woman” Gillian Duffy she must be in her 80's one of life hero's .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-bigoted-woman

Politicians hey ,wonder what they really think of us ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lets hope all 80 year olds that are struggling can reach our to friends, family and neighbours, its interesting how the UK compares to our European neighbours when it comes to care , they don't all see the responsibility of every issue as the governments .

About time we heard for that alleged “bigoted woman” Gillian Duffy she must be in her 80's one of life hero's .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-bigoted-woman

Politicians hey ,wonder what they really think of us ??
    Of all the people for LOM to bring up

You can work out her current age from the article. Have a go and let us know the answer.

You keep believing that climate change started in 2012 and I will keep believing that we should have acted sooner.

If you were half as good at scrutinising politicians as you are at scrutinising pensioners in fuel poverty, you would be a force to reckon with (and also you wouldn't come across as a bit of a twat)
    Thanks for the kind words.

I don't believe that climate change began in 2012, but the source provided demonstrates the dramatic changes since 2012. If you cared as much about the environment as you did hating the government you would also recognise that as good news - and it's been done in conjunction with Scottish, N.Irish and Welsh governments too.

I'm not scrutinising the pensioner. I'm saying the story that you lot seem to think it's a damning endictment of the government sounds a bit fishy to me, given her costs rose at ten times the rate of the energy price cap.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    So pensioners in poverty who are struggling (or failing) to pay for fuel and food should rely on help from friends, family and neighbours - not the state (the means by which society collectively supports its members in need)?

That is the essence of Toryism.

Small state, individualism, 'there is no such thing as society' and 'deserving poor' supported by the discretionary charity of the better off - leaving them constantly insecure and vulnerable.

No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    So pensioners in poverty who are struggling (or failing) to pay for fuel and food should rely on help from friends, family and neighbours - not the state (the means by which society collectively supports its members in need)?

That is the essence of Toryism.

Small state, individualism, 'there is no such thing as society' and 'deserving poor' supported by the discretionary charity of the better off - leaving them constantly insecure and vulnerable.

No thanks!
    Toryism in a nutshell! Bang on and it stinks. I'm alright Jack, screw you!

Johnson going all Chubby Brown: "Who the f**k is Alice?" That'll win him votes amongst the hoi polloi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Toryism in a nutshell! Bang on and it stinks. I'm alright Jack, screw you!
    Sorry to facts get in the way of your and Jon1959's political prejudices, but pensioner poverty has significantly reduced under the Tories.

Again, don't argue with me, argue with those notorious Tory rotters at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/data

Indeed, whilst poverty rates are fairly consistent across the board, it's generally recognised that older person poverty rates have improved in recent years with things like the triple lock pension.

Sorry to facts get in the way of your and Jon1959's political prejudices, but pensioner poverty has significantly reduced under the Tories.

Again, don't argue with me, argue with those notorious Tory rotters at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

Indeed, whilst poverty rates are fairly consistent across the board, it's generally recognised that older person poverty rates have improved in recent years with things like the triple lock pension.
    Absolute Bo****ks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Absolute Bo****ks
    Do you listen to the classified football scores on a saturday evening and shout out the same if you don't like it?

Weird that you are upset to see poverty rates declining for older people.

You are not getting in the way of anything.

You are, though, changing the subject - again. Is deflection your middle name?

Changing rates of pensioner poverty is an interesting subject.

It just isn't the one Dorcus and I were commenting on. That was LOM's Tory world view and opposition to collectivism or an active state - despite his constant denials!

Joseph Rowntree showing rates of pensioner poverty rising. What it doesn't show is the effect of 12 years of hollowed out public services that leave the growing poor (pensioners or otherwise) increasingly dependent on friends, family, neighbours or foodbanks where they are 'lucky' enough to have that.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/data/pensioner-poverty-rates

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are not getting in the way of anything.

You are, though, changing the subject - again. Is deflection your middle name?

Changing rates of pensioner poverty is an interesting subject.

It just isn't the one Dorcus and I were commenting on. That was LOM's Tory world view and opposition to collectivism or an active state - despite his constant denials!

Joseph Rowntree showing rates of pensioner poverty rising. What it doesn't show is the effect of 12 years of hollowed out public services that leave the growing poor (pensioners or otherwise) increasingly dependent on friends, family, neighbours or foodbanks where they are 'lucky' enough to have that.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/data/pensioner-poverty-rates
    It's not changing the subject. You and Dorcus turned it into a party political issue and the fact is that poverty rates under the current administration is lower than it was under the previous.

Of course, there are lies, damned lies and statistics, and depending on the time frame nearly every statistic can tell an opposite story.

Pensioner poverty is slightly rising for example - True
    Pensioner povery is also consistently lower under the Conservatives than Labour - also true.

What isn't true, or helpful, is too purely suggest the answer lies in party politics, because plainly it doesnt. THAT is selling a lie to pensioners.