Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
The point in the interview, don't know whether you saw it, is that this woman has to resort to riding on a bus because she cannot afford to stay in her home during the day.

It says in the interview that her monthly energy bills went from £17 to £84. It is also pointed out in the interview that energy companies are making billions of profits, so perhaps they could take smaller profits to help people out. Additionally, in the interview, a windfall tax is suggested - this is when companies who have experienced an unexpected bonus of profits can let the country share in the good fortune.
Does she? We will take this at face value. It seems a peculiar and dramatic set of circumstances. One that is handy to some for political reasons. £17 a month is also VERY VERY cheap for someone who presumably uses a lot of energy (such that it is now unaffordable) Energy bills have gone up but that is a 500% increase. I cannot think of a set of circumstances where a bill would increase so much, can you?

I don't doubt she is struggling and needs help - my point is, has she been to her council? Who are her council? Her energy provider etc. Has she spoken to citizens advice etc?

The lady needs help, that isn't in doubt, but it strikes me she is being used for political gain somewhat.