+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UK Nearly The Obese In Europe ( the cost the NHS ?? _

UK Nearly The Obese In Europe ( the cost the NHS ?? _

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/h...ation-26863042

Do worry how we seem to be the takeaway capital of Europe ,as we smash on the calories and increase heart disease and more and more diabetics.

We worry about funding the NHS why, don't we wonder and attack the cost effect to ones health and the strain on funding, or is it easier to blame someone else ?

From article :
    "Brits' addictions to Deliveroo takeaways and social media will see the UK overtake Turkey to become the fattest nation in Europe in the next decade, a damning report has found.

The World Health Organisation’s latest report on obesity in the continent shows 64% of UK adults are overweight, including 28% who are obese.

It puts Britain as the fattest nation in Western Europe but the authors warn lifestyle trends here mean the situation is likely to get worse. "

Re: UK Nearly The Obese In Europe ( the cost the NHS ?? _

I think the NHS you remember is not the same anymore, as Boris and his pals have been busy "restructuring" it while you were locked up in your home these past few years. Apparently the new way forward is MRNA jabs for every ailment.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/h...ation-26863042

Do worry how we seem to be the takeaway capital of Europe ,as we smash on the calories and increase heart disease and more and more diabetics.

We worry about funding the NHS why, don't we wonder and attack the cost effect to ones health and the strain on funding, or is it easier to blame someone else ?

From article :
    "Brits' addictions to Deliveroo takeaways and social media will see the UK overtake Turkey to become the fattest nation in Europe in the next decade, a damning report has found.

The World Health Organisation’s latest report on obesity in the continent shows 64% of UK adults are overweight, including 28% who are obese.

It puts Britain as the fattest nation in Western Europe but the authors warn lifestyle trends here mean the situation is likely to get worse. "
    There are other factors to obesity. It's been proven that poverty and low incomes have a detrimental effect on diet. Cheaper food tends to have more calories and is often less healthy, containing more sugar and fat. Both fat and sugar can be addictive.

I'll admit to enjoying a McDonald's breakfast from time to time. During lockdown 2 years ago I didn't eat out for months. Eventually I decided to have my usual sausage mcmuffin and it was one of the greasiest, fattiest tasting things I'd eaten. It was horrible. I've since got used to it again.

Eating big meals late at night doesn't help. I know of people who will grab a quick drive thru in between jobs as they haven't the time to do anything else.

There are links with obesity and mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There are other factors to obesity. It's been proven that poverty and low incomes have a detrimental effect on diet. Cheaper food tends to have more calories and is often less healthy, containing more sugar and fat. Both fat and sugar can be addictive.

I'll admit to enjoying a McDonald's breakfast from time to time. During lockdown 2 years ago I didn't eat out for months. Eventually I decided to have my usual sausage mcmuffin and it was one of the greasiest, fattiest tasting things I'd eaten. It was horrible. I've since got used to it again.

Eating big meals late at night doesn't help. I know of people who will grab a quick drive thru in between jobs as they haven't the time to do anything else.

There are links with obesity and mental health.
    Get a 800 Calorie recipe book and drink lots of water. Meals prepared at home don't have to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think the NHS you remember is not the same anymore, as Boris and his pals have been busy "restructuring" it while you were locked up in your home these past few years. Apparently the new way forward is MRNA jabs for every ailment.
    As someone who writes as 'Wales-Bales' I would have thought you would know that Wales NHS is nothing at all to do with Boris and his pals. The state that our Welsh NHS is in is purely down to the current Wales Government.
    And let's not go with the argument that we need more money. It's restructure we need.

The average 'full time' GP works 3.5 days a week. I called mine the other day to make an appointment I was informed that I was 49th in the queue. This sort of thing is rubbish, same with waiting hours for an ambulance etc. And sadly Wales is the worst in the UK for waiting lists

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    As someone who writes as 'Wales-Bales' I would have thought you would know that Wales NHS is nothing at all to do with Boris and his pals. The state that our Welsh NHS is in is purely down to the current Wales Government.
    And let's not go with the argument that we need more money. It's restructure we need.

The average 'full time' GP works 3.5 days a week. I called mine the other day to make an appointment I was informed that I was 49th in the queue. This sort of thing is rubbish, same with waiting hours for an ambulance etc. And sadly Wales is the worst in the UK for waiting lists
    Nobody wants to work anymore!

Clearly a range of issues at play, but fundamentally for most people and thus for society, obesity is about calories. You take in more than you use and you put on weight. You take in less than you use and you lose it. Clearly,people have a variety of conditions where losing weight is very difficult but as a basic principle I think this is true.

With that in mind, I do think there needs to be more focus across all levels of government and business about increasingly sedentary lifestyles; compare shopping online to shopping physically for example. Compare working at home with a meeting on screen to working in an office and walking between meetings. Compare walking your kids to school to driving etc etc etc

There are lots of little things that can be done and a lot recent societal changes have not been positive in this regard.

Personally I would be happy for an internet sales tax ringfenced to fund the NHS

The Tories were restructuring as you call it the NHS for years and years before the current Welsh government got in . They have made many mistakes but I am glad that we don't have Boris and his crew in charge .

ive spent the week cleaning 3 local " medical centres " ( they are the same group ) the " mothership / HQ " is massive, its taken over from the local hospital, they do a lot of medical research in this place, the reception is always empty with maybe 2 or 3 sat waiting ( in a massive space that would normally sit 20 - 30 people pre C19 times ), 3 of the consultation rooms were used by doctors to see patients face to face in one wing ( rest of the rooms empty ), the other wing has 18 rooms, everyone had a doctor in them, all doing phone appointments, I had a few chats with the doctors ( 2 went and got me a coffee as a excuse to have a break ), I always asked what they thought of this " phone appointment system " 90% hated it, maybe 1/2 blamed management for them being in this situation

The missus had both cataracts done a couple of years ago. 1st done in the Heath after 2 year wait, 2nd privately after waiting 3 years. Done by same consultant. He said he does 10 a day privately, 2 a day at the Heath, because that's all they can process! He also said he gets called into meetings at the Heath and there are usually a dozen or so people there and he's the only 'doctor' - the rest are management.

Of course, there's the other side of the argument. Obese people may cause more problems and cost for the NHS, but they also die earlier. So it's swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The missus had both cataracts done a couple of years ago. 1st done in the Heath after 2 year wait, 2nd privately after waiting 3 years. Done by same consultant. He said he does 10 a day privately, 2 a day at the Heath, because that's all they can process! He also said he gets called into meetings at the Heath and there are usually a dozen or so people there and he's the only 'doctor' - the rest are management.
    Clearly this doesn't happen in England

Cough

Lets just say they are both going in a similar direction.

How anyone can think takeaways and prossessed foods are cheaper eating and better lifestyle is beyond me ..

Thinks like fruit , vegetables, eggs , baked beans ,pasta , bread, milk, breakfast wheat based cereals , rice , soups , are relatively cheap to buy and certainly cheaper than takeaways , shop in Aldi , Lidl or Asda you will get the above commodities fir under a pound each item for most things.

A lot of this is about poor choices , education and yes laziness.

Watch any Brit film or documentary at youtube released from the mid-1960s and earlier and it's tough to spot anyone who's overweight, same with Americans. Not only do they look much leaner and healthier but are far better dressed too. I imagine increasing time spent watching TV is a big contributory factor.

How anyone can think takeaways and prossessed foods are cheaper eating and better lifestyle is beyond me ..

Thinks like fruit , vegetables, eggs , baked beans ,pasta , bread, milk, breakfast wheat based cereals , rice , soups , are relatively cheap to buy and certainly cheaper than takeaways , shop in Aldi , Lidl or Asda you will get the above commodities fir under a pound each item for most things.

I actually like cooking. Made a cottage pie yesterday, mince, potatoes, celery, carrots, onions bit of red wine, stock, probably about £4 in total but enough to feed 8 !! Having food delivered on the back of a moped or bicycle through cold, rainy streets in horrible plastic containers, from a warehouse where it's been unfrozen or batched -up, is food hell to me. Bu obviously food heaven to others !!

Poor Choices, yes of course
    Education, not sure I buy this, its hardly a secret that home cooked healthy food is healthier ( its in the title ) no-one can say they dont know that
    Laziness, Bingo, we have the reason

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Poor Choices, yes of course
    Education, not sure I buy this, its hardly a secret that home cooked healthy food is healthier ( its in the title ) no-one can say they dont know that
    Laziness, Bingo, we have the reason
    also not everyone can prepare and cook food

Behind a lot of very big people lies a person struggling with mental health problems who comfort eat to deal with anxiety , low confidence etc

There are a lot of people who are easily labelled as fat who need help with their emotions in addition to healthy eating advice and exercise .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I actually like cooking. Made a cottage pie yesterday, mince, potatoes, celery, carrots, onions bit of red wine, stock, probably about £4 in total but enough to feed 8 !! Having food delivered on the back of a moped or bicycle through cold, rainy streets in horrible plastic containers, from a warehouse where it's been unfrozen or batched -up, is food hell to me. Bu obviously food heaven to others !!
    Some people simply don't have the time to prepare and cook food

Can you put some in the freezer for me ? Sounds banging