+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time wasting at football matches.

Time wasting at football matches.

Time wasting is getting worse at football games it seems.Why can't football do what rugby and other sports do.When there is a stoppage due to an injury of for substitutions to be made the rugby referee calls time off,and when play can resume calls time on.This surely would stop all these time wasting tactics at a stroke.
    My other spectator sport is ice hockey,which consists of three twenty minute periods in which the spectator gets sixty minutes of play as the clock stops when play is stopped and starts again when play restarts.This maybe too much for football to change to,but a few years ago i put a stop watch on the first half of a city game stopping time when the ball was not in play and starting again when play resumed.This was just an experiment to see the time the ball was actually in play.When the referee blew for half-time,my watch was saying 21 minutes only when the ball was in play!! Food for thought.

Re: Time wasting at football matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Time wasting is getting worse at football games it seems.Why can't football do what rugby and other sports do.When there is a stoppage due to an injury of for substitutions to be made the rugby referee calls time off,and when play can resume calls time on.This surely would stop all these time wasting tactics at a stroke.
    My other spectator sport is ice hockey,which consists of three twenty minute periods in which the spectator gets sixty minutes of play as the clock stops when play is stopped and starts again when play restarts.This maybe too much for football to change to,but a few years ago i put a stop watch on the first half of a city game stopping time when the ball was not in play and starting again when play resumed.This was just an experiment to see the time the ball was actually in play.When the referee blew for half-time,my watch was saying 21 minutes only when the ball was in play!! Food for thought.
    I do not disagree. However some referees regularly take more than 60 secs over free kicks outside the box. Even when the foul does not need a booking, there are those who manage to waste approaching 80 secs.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I do not disagree. However some referees regularly take more than 60 secs over free kicks outside the box. Even when the foul does not need a booking, there are those who manage to waste approaching 80 secs.

StT.
    <><
    The ref on Saturday seemed to take about 10 minutes to lecture McGuiness prior to booking him but yes time wasting grinds my gears as we pay good money to watch well paid people take the piss and the refs bluster on to them but never deal with it especially keepers

Just for balance I hate when we do it not just the opposition

the same as 5 a side indoor futsal 2 periods of 20 minutes where every second of those 40 minutes the ball is in play

an actual game lasts about 90 minutes tho where the clock stops for injury , time outs , ball out of play ,free kicks etc

the problem with football being 90 minutes .if the clock stopped for every time of an injury , free kick , corner , subs etc the game would go on for about 3 hours maybe more !

The only way it would work in football is 30 minutes halves . i would endorse it but don't think the average football fan would

Been discussed before this idea

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/v...p-clock-132838

Some of the time wasting by Pickford in the last two Everton games has been utterly absurd.

Seems VAR is exasperating the issue further. However, the time in play seems to be linked to the quality of the teams , its no surprise Cardiff Burnley in 18/19 is one of the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the same as 5 a side indoor futsal 2 periods of 20 minutes where every second of those 40 minutes the ball is in play

an actual game lasts about 90 minutes tho where the clock stops for injury , time outs , ball out of play ,free kicks etc

the problem with football being 90 minutes .if the clock stopped for every time of an injury , free kick , corner , subs etc the game would go on for about 3 hours maybe more !

The only way it would work in football is 30 minutes halves . i would endorse it but don't think the average football fan would

Been discussed before this idea

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/v...p-clock-132838

same as netball

when the ball goes out of play ( say into the crowd ) the umpire calls " time please " timekeeper stops the clock when the ball is back and ready to be played ( after its been anti-C19 wiped ) the umpire shouts " on my whistle please " and the game starts ( and clock starts ) now of course this is only high level stuff

but even lower club stuff, if the ball goes out of the court and heads into the other, the umpire will call time, each team will provide a scorer and the home team has the stop watch ( or kitchen timer )

International

I'd go further I would give the referee power to start doubling the time wasted, warn the player you rolled off the pitch and back on again, any time for treatment will be doubled and added in injury time, you'd soon stop it.

I've wasted 32 years of my time in football

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I've wasted 32 years of my time in football
    That's OK you'll live till your 100

Gets on my tits, but not as much as players running an extra 20 feet taking a thrown in, that makes me angry angry.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I'd go further I would give the referee power to start doubling the time wasted, warn the player you rolled off the pitch and back on again, any time for treatment will be doubled and added in injury time, you'd soon stop it.
    The trouble with that approach is the losing team would start time wasting to increase the time they have to recover the game.

The clock stopping doesn't work as teams would just use it to kill momentum even more.

The only thing that would work is a penalty. Eg a keeper takes the p1ss on a goalkick? Reverse it for a corner. They'd soon stop.

I don't think we really need to go down the 'time out' route, we just need the officials to take steps to cut this time-wasting out, or at least cut it down. Just as an example, whatever happened to the six second rule for goalkeepers? No-one sticks to that. If a team is in front, particularly in a tough game, they will ALWAYS use every opportunity to waste time. And yes, we've certainly done enough of it, in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I don't think we really need to go down the 'time out' route, we just need the officials to take steps to cut this time-wasting out, or at least cut it down. Just as an example, whatever happened to the six second rule for goalkeepers? No-one sticks to that. If a team is in front, particularly in a tough game, they will ALWAYS use every opportunity to waste time. And yes, we've certainly done enough of it, in recent years.
    Yep enough of it being called game management. It's not. Refs ask for it though as are too scared for whatever reason to stamp it out. Eg a keeper will always get booked in 92nd minute after 92 minutes of time wasting (fans always cheer this). Or if they are booked earlier then they can take even longer then as its impossible to be sent off for 2 yellows for time wasting.

Late time wasting subs..the slow walk off..just add a full minute.
    Goalies diving on the floor after a basic catch..30 secs.
    OTT Goal celebration..full minute.
    Etc

I feel I wasted a lot of my time watching Mick McCarthy's Cardiff City...

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yep enough of it being called game management. It's not. Refs ask for it though as are too scared for whatever reason to stamp it out. Eg a keeper will always get booked in 92nd minute after 92 minutes of time wasting (fans always cheer this). Or if they are booked earlier then they can take even longer then as its impossible to be sent off for 2 yellows for time wasting.
    Dont think there has ever been 2 yellows for keeper time wasting in UK football but there are a couple of ref's brave enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-the-knowledge

looks like Clattenburg agrees with my reasoning calling for 60 minute games

https://www.sportbible.com/football/...clock-20220506