+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local election results.

Re: Local election results.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well I wrote the post, so it's unfortunate from my perspective.

I have little time for Sinn Fein I am afraid. It is stacked with people who hold, or have held opinions sympathetic to the IRA and they offer little but chaos going forward and the break up of a country.

I don't dispute for a second their right to try and lead a coalition government but that doesn't mean that I don't think it's an unfortunate thing.

Personally, I'd rather the SDLP and the UUP do better than the more radical Sinn Fein and DUP / TUV
    It will take a lot more time for Sinn Fein to shake of the taint of Adams and McGuinness but when it comes to the potential break-up of the United Kingdom (I presume you mean this country) there are greater pressures than the election of a Sinn Fein First Minister.

I think it was Theresa May who said no UK Prime Minister could agree a customs border in the Irish Sea between Great Britain and Northern Ireland but that is exactly what Boris Johnson agreed so expediently with DUP votes to get Brexit done. For all the denial noise from both the UK government and the DUP since the real risk is not the supposed stifling of trade with the mainland but the competitive advantage that Northern Ireland has by remaining in the Single Market.

Similarly Brexit has re-energised separatist sentiment in Scotland. Both present greater threats to the Union than half hearted noises from the Shinners on a United Ireland.

20220509_110706.jpg

horrible set of results for the Tories, on what was a pretty bad result last time around.
    Labour will be very pleased with the results in Wales and London, but the rest of the country was fairly flat. but then I think they now have more seats than all the other parties put together

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Donald Trump?

oops sorry I meant Donald Trump???
    No UK MP's in Parliament sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20220509_110706.jpg

horrible set of results for the Tories, on what was a pretty bad result last time around.
    Labour will be very pleased with the results in Wales and London, but the rest of the country was fairly flat. but then I think they now have more seats than all the other parties put together
    Looks like the red Northern Wall held up for Tories though which is a shock .
    The South West Remainers / NIMBYS went Liberal and Green .
    Wales should worry about Plaid.
    SNP were always going to win more seats as they hate anything English.
    Labour has confirmed its Metropolitan middle class voting base how that plays out in the Election will be of great interest.

The map looks like remain v leave gotta feeling Brexit will be revisited as the Tories will stoke that fear of returning to Europe if you vote LD or Labour .

The other game to be played out will be of one of collation with SNP / Labour and the break up of UK .

Cant wait for the general election ,that's always one to stay up for not these.

I wonder who will be the Labour and Tory leaders into that campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20220509_110706.jpg

Think that the Labour results outside London and Wales are about what was expected and emphasises the size of the task they face.

As for the Tories, I mentioned in an earlier message that the “smart money” was on them losing between 250 and 300 seats. In the event, they’ve lost close to double that, but many people will go by the initial reporting which had that the results were not as bad as feared - I suppose the question is, will Tory MPs have cottoned on that the results are, in fact, pretty terrible for the party? I’m sure they will, but whether they’ll do anything about their liability of a leader is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No UK MP's in Parliament sadly
    Where are the UK MPs if not in Parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Think that is about right.

The London results were positive but there is little dent in the Red Wall seats that Labour will need to win the next election. I think the Tories have reabsorbed most of the Farage right flank and there is still a strong leave/remain divide that cuts across traditional party lines. This seems to favour the Tories in the Midlands and North at the expense of the the south where they are now more vulnerable.

I agree that Labour has to make a more positive case for change, though policies don't usually firm up until the latter stages of parliamentary terms. It looks like not being Boris Johnson is not enough for Starmer, particularly as the probability is that the Tories will jettison Johnson before the next election.

One thing I would say is that the Tories are not exactly fizzing with new ideas to sell either now or for the next election. Levelling up seems more of a slogan than a set of coherent policies. They can hardly go into the next election on a Brexit platform having "got it done" in this cycle, though they will no doubt sow seeds that the other parties will undo its imaginary gains.

I can only see informal agreements with other parties where 2nd place in seats is clear cut.
    RE: levelling up, it was on R4 this morning that of the Las for the 100 worst off areas, something like 38 local authorities had received levelling up grants, despite around 70% applying.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well I wrote the post, so it's unfortunate from my perspective.

I have little time for Sinn Fein I am afraid. It is stacked with people who hold, or have held opinions sympathetic to the IRA and they offer little but chaos going forward and the break up of a country.

I don't dispute for a second their right to try and lead a coalition government but that doesn't mean that I don't think it's an unfortunate thing.

Personally, I'd rather the SDLP and the UUP do better than the more radical Sinn Fein and DUP / TUV
    Indeed ( I have little time for Sinn Fein) strange how romantically they are viewed now ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Where are the UK MPs if not in Parliament?
    Yes indeed ,the question related to abiding by a Democratic vote or decision and not trying to overturn the will of the people, as the people will lash out .