+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Durham Police to investigate Keir Starmer 'Party'

Durham Police to investigate Keir Starmer 'Party'

Just breaking on BBC News

Durham Police to investigate Keir Starmer 'Party' following receipt of 'significant new information'

Re: Durham Police to investigate Keir Starmer 'Party'

Told you buggers this would happen.

Could be interesting if he was found guilty. My bet is hed resign.

On what ive seen hes probably not going to though.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Told you buggers this would happen.
    This is great. Either he will be found to have not broken any laws and will be completely vindicated and the press/prominent Tories who have been trying to divert attention from themselves will have to shut up (but they probably won't) - or - he will be found guilty of breaking the law and will have to resign, showing Boris Johnson up for not doing the right thing.

I hope that whatever the outcome is that is doesn't detract from the fact that Boris Johnson has been found guilty already of one case of breaking the law and is still being investigated regarding other potential breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    This is great. Either he will be found to have not broken any laws and will be completely vindicated and the press/prominent Tories who have been trying to divert attention from themselves will have to shut up (but they probably won't) - or - he will be found guilty of breaking the law and will have to resign, showing Boris Johnson up for not doing the right thing.

I hope that whatever the outcome is that is doesn't detract from the fact that Boris Johnson has been found guilty already of one case of breaking the law and is still being investigated regarding other potential breaks.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but it's interesting because some on the left of the party will view this as a chance to dislodge Starmer.

I think he'll be found guilty. And I dont care much about cake gate or beer gate but he mad such a deal about Boris that it would be quite funny if he was found guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it, but it's interesting because some on the left of the party will view this as a chance to dislodge Starmer.

I think he'll be found guilty. And I dont care much about cake gate or beer gate but he mad such a deal about Boris that it would be quite funny if he was found guilty.
    Cakegate isn't a real thing though. When people say "Cakegate" they make it sound like Boris Johnson had some cake and the world went mad over it.

That's not the case as you well know. The truth is that many people were pissed off after being told on multiple occasions that none of these parties happened - it wasn't just the birthday party that he attended.

He was at several parties and lied about being there and then lied about there being no rules broken and him not even knowing the rules.

If Starmer is guilty then he has to go but it doesn't diminish, in any way, what Boris Johnson did and continues to do (this isn't aimed at you by the way).

By calling for Johnson and, especially, Sunak to resign it seems to me that Starmer has left himself with no wriggle room if Durham police decide to issue a fixed penalty against him. My own view is that his alleged crime is not on the same scale as some of the ones Johnson is being investigated for and the one he paid a fine for, but, rightly or wrongly, the claim that the ordered take away meal was for twenty or thirty makes things worse than if it had been for, say, four or five.

If as a political leader who calls for others to resign if being investigated by the police surely its right one does the same ?

It's was a nieve to say the least .

Thankfully he is a man of honour and will do the right thing , unlike that other chap.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    By calling for Johnson and, especially, Sunak to resign it seems to me that Starmer has left himself with no wriggle room if Durham police decide to issue a fixed penalty against him. My own view is that his alleged crime is not on the same scale as some of the ones Johnson is being investigated for and the one he paid a fine for, but, rightly or wrongly, the claim that the ordered take away meal was for twenty or thirty makes things worse than if it had been for, say, four or five.
    Starmer's problem is that he is trying to portray himself as an upright citizen against Boris Johnsons lying and obfuscation. If a crack appears in his story, and he appears shifty, then his honest joe personna falls away and people will start to think they are as bad as eachother ( Whether they are or not, life ain't fair)

The 'mistake' (?) about Angela Rayner being there but they hadn't realised they had missed her name out because they were 'too busy' is I'm afraid straight out of the Boris Johnson play book. This story has been around for weeks.

Then there was the interview he gave to Sky (I think this week)which I heard part of on LBC where three or four times he refused to clarify whether or not he had heard from the police abour reopening the investigation. Later in the morning his office said that they hadn't heard from the police so why didn't he just say this

Finally there was his reaction to the news that the Durham Police were going to reopen the investigation.Instead of stopping for a brief word when asked about it by journalists he ignored it and walked on with that 'I didn't hear you' demeanor which all politicians adopt when you know damn well they had heard every word.

A crime is a crime im guessing both can claim it was a work environment. Boris (rightly so) was looked upon in greater detail as he was the spokesperson on Covid rules , Sir Kier must have felt he was slightly exposed , as he and the party carried out its moral crusade, whats strange in the affair, why say Angela was or wasn't there ?
    Why did the police not engage with the people whose video it was before being pushed ??

It's all a bit OTT in my opinion, and as I've said before, I think there's bigger issues, but Starmer has bought this upon himself by endlessly going on about it and keeping it in the public eye for so long and portraying himself as the defender of honour in politics etc etc.

I quite like Keir Starmer, and this doesn't really bother me either way. I think like Johnson has belatedly done, he should just stick his hands up and say sorry and people will move on.

Other than that I just find it kind of funny really given how sanctimonious many on his side have been.

This is karma in action.

That said, he may well be found to have done nothing wrong, but morally at least, and terms of the genuine risk to public health I don't see how different it is to Johnsons fine. (and he may yet receive more remember..)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bour-memo.html

Worse than Boris Johnson isn’t he ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bour-memo.html

Worse than Boris Johnson isn’t he ?
    They obviously weren't worried about covid being a serious health problem, so it makes you wonder doesn't it?

This matter is no longer about whose behaviour is right or wrong its about hypocrisy and its made it worse by banging on about for so long as an opposition, I'm sure they swayed a few more votes thier way so job done .

It's obvious it was arranged , it was illegal gathering, Starmer and Rayner in Durham same time why ? ?

He has been hung by his own words .

Me I'd rather Labour had doubled down more on cost of living, not bang on about bloody cake gate over the last two months hoping for him to quit .

Poor political tactics in my book .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This matter is no longer about whose behaviour is right or wrong its about hypocrisy and its made it worse by banging on about for so long as an opposition, I'm sure they swayed a few more votes thier way so job done .

It's obvious it was arranged , it was illegal gathering, Starmer and Rayner in Durham same time why ? ?

He has been hung by his own words .

Me I'd rather Labour had doubled down more on cost of living, not bang on about bloody cake gate over the last two months hoping for him to quit .

Poor political tactics in my book .
    To be fair, when your book is Mein Kampf I don't think we will care too much about your political opinions.

To be fair, when your book is Mein Kampf I don't think we will care too much about your political opinions.
    What's this go to do with Mein Kampf ??

Boris should stand down as should Sir Kier and Angela.

A rule is a rule , a law is a law , you can't pick which rule breaker you favour based on ones political bitterness.

Do you ever think before you say stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What's this go to do with Mein Kampf ??

Boris should stand down as should Sir Kier and Angela.

A rule is a rule , a law is a law , you can't pick which rule breaker you favour based on ones political bitterness.
    You said "in my book". I'm saying that your book is Mein Kampf.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Do you ever think before you say stuff?
    Calm down, Erik ten Hag roast

I don’t think he does ….

I don't think he does either ....