+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison on Elis James’s Feast of Football

Re: Steve Morison on Elis James’s Feast of Football

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He's a bit miserable, but so was Dave Jones and he was a decent Manager.

He sounds fairly positive but very direct, it will be interesting to see what players he signs and if he can get a good team spirit.
    I always thought Dave Jones had a wit about him and its fully understandably why he was suspicious and angry towards the press.

It'll be an interesting summer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I'm getting more confused by some on this board as to what they want from Morrison - the list of dislikes seems to get bigger every day - the latest to add to the list is he is not funny
    This is what’s going to make his tenure so interesting. Morison polarises opinion more than any other City manager I can remember. Already there are those who can’t stand him and those who seem to really rate him. Few people seem to be neutral.

His personality is unusual, the way he talks to the press is unusual, the way he speaks about his players is unusual and his levels of confidence and self-belief are off the scale for someone so inexperienced, especially considering the results since he took over.

It’s going to be genuinely fascinating to see how this plays out as it really could go any way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This is what’s going to make his tenure so interesting. Morison polarises opinion more than any other City manager I can remember. Already there are those who can’t stand him and those who seem to really rate him. Few people seem to be neutral.

His personality is unusual, the way he talks to the press is unusual, the way he speaks about his players is unusual and his levels of confidence and self-belief are off the scale for someone so inexperienced, especially considering the results since he took over.

It’s going to be genuinely fascinating to see how this plays out as it really could go any way.
    I'd give it a 80/20 chance of it going poorly than well

His personality is unusual, the way he talks to the press is unusual, the way he speaks about his players is unusual and his levels of confidence and self-belief are off the scale for someone so inexperienced.

Whilst i can't speak for Bobby, his personality isn't really what drives me to like or dislike him as a manager, but agree with what you say.

I'd say there won't be much patience though if things don't go well at the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I always thought Dave Jones had a wit about him and its fully understandably why he was suspicious and angry towards the press.

I completely agree about DJ - your point is a very sensible one 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I just listened to the Morison interview (it isn't very long); he spoke quite a bit of sense but what surprised me is that he seems to be almost completely humourless.

Now, I don't expect a stand up comedian as a manager but he came across as being quite hard work and there was zero levity in what he said which is quite strange considering that this is quite a light hearted football podcast he was on.
    And if he had been cracking jokes and laughing all the time, he would have been accused of not taking the job seriously enough and being a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    And if he had been cracking jokes and laughing all the time, he would have been accused of not taking the job seriously enough and being a clown.
    You really need to read posts more carefully before commenting.

I don't think there are a large number of people who really rate him, not yet anyway, just there are a small core of people who for whatever reason have decided that they're dead against him being Cardiff manager and try to find fault in everything, in contrast it makes the majority of people who are happy to let him have a fair crack at it seem like Morison fanboys.

personally I don't mind his interview demeanor. and I'm glad we don't have a Warnock or a McCarthy here for the huge squad refresh in the summer. if he gets it wrong and we are worse next season then he'll be out the door quickly
    managers never last long so chances are he'll be gone in a year or two anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think there are a large number of people who really rate him, not yet anyway, just there are a small core of people who for whatever reason have decided that they're dead against him being Cardiff manager and try to find fault in everything….
    I’m not basing my opinion on the views expressed on this board, which always tend to be polarised. I’m basing my opinion on numerous conversations with City fans, some who seem to really like Morison and others who seem to already despise him.

I think it’s great stuff. Football is supposed to be a form of entertainment and Morison is certainly going to give us that, off the pitch at least.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

Dave Jones had a feud going on with the late Steve Tucker during his time in charge at City. Some time after he left the club, Jones wrote to Tucker admitting that he was wrong to have treated him like he did - he went up in my estimation after that and I’ve always thought that we shouldn’t be so quick to be judgemental on someone who went through what he did when he was in charge of Southampton.

I’m not basing my opinion on the views expressed on this board, which always tend to be polarised. I’m basing my opinion on numerous conversations with City fans, some who seem to really like Morison and others who seem to already despise him.

I think it’s great stuff. Football is supposed to be a form of entertainment and Morison is certainly going to give us that, off the pitch at least.
    it's certainly better than the standard bland media trained responses you get from some managers, can imagine him having a keeganesque meltdown if we're in a high pressure run in at some point

Morison’s disciplinary record as a player is a very odd mixture.

Not a single yellow card in three seasons at Northampton.

Two reds and fourteen yellows in three seasons playing non league with Stevenage.

One red and twenty yellows in two seasons in his first spell with Millwall.

He then played two full seasons in the Premier League at Norwich and only picked a single yellow card!

Four yellows in a season with Millwall.

One yellow then in a season at Leeds.

Twenty four yellows in four seasons at Millwall.

No bookings in a season at Shrewsbury before retiring.

Overall, I don’t think that’s a bad record for the type of player he was, but there are big contrasts during different periods of his career - were his figures a reflection of the types of team he played for? That seems simplistic to me, but Millwall and Norwich’s reputations are certainly different!

Despite those spells where the yellows came thick and fast, it doesn’t strike me as a record of someone who would erupt like a volcano too often when stood on the touchline as a manager.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/p...&season_id=152

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Dave Jones had a feud going on with the late Steve Tucker during his time in charge at City. Some time after he left the club, Jones wrote to Tucker admitting that he was wrong to have treated him like he did - he went up in my estimation after that and I’ve always thought that we shouldn’t be so quick to be judgemental on someone who went through what he did when he was in charge of Southampton.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'd give it a 80/20 chance of it going poorly than well
    I reckon you even frown while having sex.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I reckon you even frown while having sex.

Miserable bastard
    What’s the correct facial expression?

Ask someone who's had it duuuh

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That's interesting, fair play to him

I also wondered about gabbidon absence being suspicious. We know Danny is close to likes of isaak Davies (I think in an official capacity?) maybe not appropriate for him to be interviewing him? That was my initial guess when i listened anyway.

Absolutley - I'm interested and mildly excited by his transfer plans - he seems to be a man with a secret which he is struggling to contain or someone who is so optimistic that it could blow up in his face due to said optimism not being realised

If it goes well his knockers will say that's all well and good but let's see his team perform and on it goes until he fails and people will say told you so and then it will begin with the next manager

Not Steve Morison or city related so not starting a new thread but new episode of elis James FoF podcast with humphrey kerr from Wrexham is a great listen. Much better than the Morison episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Not Steve Morison or city related so not starting a new thread but new episode of elis James FoF podcast with humphrey kerr from Wrexham is a great listen. Much better than the Morison episode!
    You are right not to start a new thread.

Great story (and listen), funny how these things come about.

Just listened to it while out walking.
    SM came across well IMO.

He acknowledged mistakes that have been made and spoke about a pathway for the club so that we aren't lumbered with a bunch of ineffective or one dimensional players like the last few seasons.

Sounds good in theory...let's see how it works in practice.

I listened to it and wasn't sure why people were talking about his sense of humour; he didn't really get a chance to crack a joke. Iwan Roberts is no Ernie Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I listened to it and wasn't sure why people were talking about his sense of humour; he didn't really get a chance to crack a joke. Iwan Roberts is no Ernie Wise.
    Iwan Roberts is funnier than Elis James.
    Not much of a reference I know.