+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If there had been no points deductions in the Championship

If there had been no points deductions in the Championship

Reading would have been relegated on goal difference. Cardiff finished on 53 points.

Bottom of the table would have been:

Birmingham 47 pts (-25 GD)
    ----------------------------
    Reading 47 pts (-33)
    Peterborough 37 pts (-44)
    Barnsley 30 pts (-40)

Re: If there had been no points deductions in the Championship

So after the Gunmans stat fest, about this being our worst season since Noah built his ark, we survived comfortably, and would have also survived comfortably even without all the points deductions. Onward and upwards 👍

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    So after the Gunmans stat fest, about this being our worst season since Noah built his ark.....
    You obviously weren't paying attention, but then in fairness you're not the swiftest horse ever to gallop around life's great race track.

In statistical terms, this has been the club's worst Football League season since 1999/2000. Most home defeats since 1994/95, most defeats overall since 1995/96.

No opinions there, just facts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You obviously weren't paying attention, but then in fairness you're not the swiftest horse ever to gallop around life's great race track.

In statistical terms, this has been the club's worst Football League season since 1999/2000. Most home defeats since 1994/95, most defeats overall since 1995/96.

No opinions there, just facts.
    Facts that don’t mean a jot. We remain in the 2nd best division in the land. All your negativity about the club and it’s owner doesn’t alter that.
    That’s also a fact and not an opinion 👍

Facts that don’t mean a jot. We remain in the 2nd best division in the land. All your negativity about the club and it’s owner doesn’t alter that.
    Let's have a look at the last thread you started on the subject of Cardiff City, shall we Mr Positive?

Ah, yes. I remember.....

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...n-a-losing-run

Let's have a look at the last thread you started on the subject of Cardiff City, shall we Mr Positive?

Ah, yes. I remember.....

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...n-a-losing-run
    One negative thread Bourne out of frustration. How about showing me the last positive thread you started about the club ?

One negative thread Bourne out of frustration. How about showing me the last positive thread you started about the club ?
    That would probably date back to 2012 before the emperor revealed his new clothes. I'd guess it would be some time during Malky Mackay's first season, when the club reached the Championship play-offs. As opposed to finishing 18th in the table - the club's lowest finish since returning to this level in 2003.

It very much felt like a relegation season at Reading. Truly awful with the exceptions of September 2021 and Easter 2022. Today’s goal nicely summed up the shambles this season has been.

That would probably date back to 2012 before the emperor revealed his new clothes. I'd guess it would be some time during Malky Mackay's first season, when the club reached the Championship play-offs. As opposed to finishing 18th in the table - the club's lowest finish since returning to this level in 2003.
    Quelle-surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It very much felt like a relegation season at Reading. Truly awful with the exceptions of September 2021 and Easter 2022. Today’s goal nicely summed up the shambles this season has been.
    I was looking through BBC match reports earlier to try find out the highest in the table City got this season after McCarthy's departure. The answer was 17th.

This report from 27/11/21 was especially interesting. Look at the table!

Fulham were top, Bournemouth were second. None of the four teams in the play-off positions at that stage went on to make the play-offs.

Huddersfield were 8th, Luton were 14th, Forest were 15th and Sheffield Utd were 17th, just two points ahead of Cardiff and three ahead of Reading.

Meanwhile, the teams who were eventually relegated were in the bottom three, Reading were 21st, Cardiff were 20th and Hull were 19th. Only Birmingham eventually dropped from mid-table. Apart from them, very little had changed at the bottom come the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59356597

I was looking through BBC match reports earlier to try find out the highest in the table City got this season after McCarthy's departure. The answer was 17th.

This report from 27/11/21 was especially interesting. Look at the table!

Fulham were top, Bournemouth were second. None of the four teams in the play-off positions at that stage went on to make the play-offs.

Huddersfield were 8th, Luton were 14th, Forest were 15th and Sheffield Utd were 17th, just two points ahead of Cardiff and three ahead of Reading.

Meanwhile, the teams who were eventually relegated were in the bottom three, Reading were 21st, Cardiff were 20th and Hull were 19th. Only Birmingham eventually dropped from mid-table. Apart from them, very little had changed at the bottom come the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59356597

I don’t think we were ever in the bottom three. We may well have been 21st since last November! Just shows how well Forest and Sheff Utd have done in the past five or so months,

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t think we were ever in the bottom three. We may well have been 21st since last November! Just shows how well Forest and Sheff Utd have done in the past five or so months,
    Forest have been massive under achievers in this division for yrs.

Yes they have. Think they will go up this time. The other play off contenders look pretty average.

Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Based on what?
    Based on the decent squads they’ve had, so called promising managers they’ve had, backing from owners and fan expectation. Apart from this season, they always seem to implode.

It might be worth pointing out that Swansea finished 8 points above us. If we'd have drawn both games they'd have been 2 points between us. Had we won both we'd have finished 4 points ahead of them.

Any thoughts that the Jacks are miles ahead of us are utter nonsense.

It might be worth pointing out that Swansea finished 8 points above us. If we'd have drawn both games they'd have been 2 points between us. Had we won both we'd have finished 4 points ahead of them.

I think they will struggle next season, I wouldn’t swap our manager or situation with players. Thankfully we have a lot out of contract to rebuild.

They beat City 3-0 and 4-0 this season. That's probably why people think they are way ahead.

To me, the Jacks look like a definite work in progress. The manager has a clear philosophy and it didn't appear to suit some of their squad initially, but they've grown into it. They're no great shakes by any means, but you can at least see what the plan is.

In City's case, Morison is going to have to rip it up and start again next season. None of us know what the team will look like, let alone how they'll play, as there haven't been too many clues in recent months.

They beat City 3-0 and 4-0 this season. That's probably why people think they are way ahead.

To me, the Jacks look like a definite work in progress. The manager has a clear philosophy and it didn't appear to suit some of their squad initially, but they've grown into it. They're no great shakes by any means, but you can at least see what the plan is.

In City's case, Morison is going to have to rip it up and start again next season. None of us know what the team will look like, let alone how they'll play, as there haven't been too many clues in recent months.
    I totally agree with that. I cling on to the hope that the likes of Colwill and Davies are our torch bearers next season.

If they aren't, we're fecked.

I think the fact we have to start again is a bonus.

Plenty of signs how Morison wants to play but it’s quite obvious we just don’t have the players for it. The loans a big clue.