+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May 7th, 2012. Ten years ago today

Re: May 7th, 2012. Ten years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    wasn;t it straight after an away game at west ham if my memory serves me correct ?
    West Ham, the play-off semi defeat at Upton Park. I nearly threw your brother off the bus on the way home because I thought it was nonsense being circulated by an old adversary of mine but he wouldn't stop talking about it. Boy, was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    West Ham, the play-off semi defeat at Upton Park. I nearly threw your brother off the bus on the way home because I thought it was nonsense being circulated by an old adversary of mine but he wouldn't stop talking about it. Boy, was I wrong.

Are you referring to the pine man?? He was a bit of a wind up merchant, but that post was far too well written to be him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Are you referring to the pine man?? He was a bit of a wind up merchant, but that post was far too well written to be him.
    I am, I hadn't read the post myself at that stage because I was on the bus and wasn't really interested - I just thought it was a wind-up. I thought the same when I got home and read the board properly, but I knew it wasn't the pine salesman then. It wasn't until the following morning when I got a phone call from a club official asking me to attend a meeting that evening that I knew it was genuine.

I am, I hadn't read the post myself at that stage because I was on the bus and wasn't really interested - I just thought it was a wind-up. I thought the same when I got home and read the board properly, but I knew it wasn't the pine salesman then. It wasn't until the following morning when I got a phone call from a club official asking me to attend a meeting that evening that I knew it was genuine.
    The Fire and passion live the dream badge meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    wasn;t it straight after an away game at west ham if my memory serves me correct ?
    Yep. Travelled to West Ham and that was my last game until we went back blue. Sad times indeed

The red is a stain on our history

Some of my friends that I watched City with for many years left and never came back
    One particular friend who I believe was the author of that piece came to the first game in red I believe it was against Huddersfield and when we scored the winner late on he got up and left and said it was over for him. He’s never been back despite my cajoling after the return to blue
    It was and still is a painful reminder of an absurd decision and will forever be a stain onour history
    I couldn’t give it up - I celebrated the goal
    I knew then that I wasn’t going to quit and I thought wearing my blue shirt and scarf and singing we’ll always be blue would be my way of dealing with it

Would I still be there if Tan carried on with his folly - if I’m honest with myself probably yes - I’m just a junkie I suppose

I knew it wouldn’t last though - it was bloody ridiculous

I've often wondered if Vincent Tan blames our recent comparative lack of success to the fact that we are not playing in red? Perhaps he still thinks, deep down, that if we'd stuck with that colour, then we'd now be an established Premier side. Maybe he believes that it's all the fault of the fans, forcing him to retract the change, and thereby dooming us to failure. You never know.

It lasted another half a season after relegation.

Oddly enough, it took poor results and seriously dwindling crowds before he changed his mind. He was onto his third manager by that point.
    The rebrand being featured in "football's funniest moments" might have had some effect; fans of other clubs continually mocked us, some of it must have filtered up to VT.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The rebrand being featured in "football's funniest moments" might have had some effect; fans of other clubs continually mocked us, some of it must have filtered up to VT.
    I don't think Tan really cared about the fact that he'd turned the club (and himself) into an international laughing stock. I reckon it was thousands of empty blue and white seats that had by far the biggest effect, along with the influence of two relatively new recruits - Ken Choo and Russell Slade.

It's no coincidence that City had what was then a record low crowd at the CCS for an FA Cup tie against Colchester a few days before the re-brand was reversed.

I still don't know what you mean. What does 'letting go' and 'moving on' mean as far as you're concerned? Does it mean forgiving Vincent Tan and those who helped usher in his re-brand? Does it mean stop attending matches? Does it mean throwing myself into it again? I honestly don't know what you're trying to say.
    Any response, John?