+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bobby Brown autobiography

Re: Bobby Brown autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    No, Peter Rodrigues had moved on by then, went to Leicester in 1965.
    Which game was it then, that ended with Rodriguez barely able to walk, but stayed on as we were already a player down?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Which game was it then, that ended with Rodriguez barely able to walk, but stayed on as we were already a player down?
    Not sure, but it was Rodrigues not Rodriguez. It was quite a common scenario in those days before substitutes, a crocked player being moved out to the wing to keep the numbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    His goalscoring stats were excellent, better than 1 in 2 at club level. I was at the Villa game on Boxing Day 1967 when he suffered his career-ending injury. My overriding memory is a picture showing his knee in some bubble-wrap type of material as he was carried from the pitch. Anyone else remember this ?
    Yes, I remember it well. He was on the ground for a long time, before play was eventually stopped.

BB was one of my favourite players and I was so sorry that it was a career-ending injury.

Not sure, but it was Rodrigues not Rodriguez. It was quite a common scenario in those days before substitutes, a crocked player being moved out to the wing to keep the numbers up.
    I can remember seeing Peter Rodrigues score after going up front because he was injured - think it was against Rotherham, it was at the end of the season and I was there with school mates, it must have been one of the first games I went to.

Just checked it, we beat Rotherham 3-2 on 28/4/65 - I think it must have been that game.

Other than the Villa game, possibly the best match I can remember involving Bobby Brown was a 4-2 win against Palace, an evening game a few months before he got injured. I'm not sure but I think he may have bagged a couple of goals that night.

Other than the Villa game, possibly the best match I can remember involving Bobby Brown was a 4-2 win against Palace, an evening game a few months before he got injured. I'm not sure but I think he may have bagged a couple of goals that night.
    One of his goals that was brilliant.

Has anyone mentioned that he was an England amateur international?

Has anyone mentioned that he was an England amateur international?
    Played in the 1960 Olympics I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of his goals that was brilliant.
    I just remember it being a great game Bob but I can't for the life of me recall the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Played in the 1960 Olympics I believe.
    He did indeed, just checked, scored 4 in 3 group games for GB.

I just remember it being a great game Bob but I can't for the life of me recall the goals.
    In my mind’s eye, I have it as a shot on the turn from the corner of the Grange End/Bob Bank a bit closer in than Peter King’s amazing volley against Middlesbrough, but your mind can play tricks on you. What I definitely remember being thrilled by one of Brown’s goals and thinking I’d never seen anything like it in my young life.

The game was played on 30/8/67 (thought it was a bit before that) and there were 14,351 watching it.