+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first Dr Who you’ve never heard of before?

The first Dr Who you’ve never heard of before?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123

I was going to say it was in my case, but then I remembered that I didn’t have a clue who Tom Baker was until he got the role and he may well be my favourite Doctor.

Re: The first Dr Who you’ve never heard of before?

I think the only one I'd ever heard of was Peter Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123

I was going to say it was in my case, but then I remembered that I didn’t have a clue who Tom Baker was until he got the role and he may well be my favourite Doctor.
    Did you know who Matt Smith was?

Sadly, I’m old enough not to have heard of William Hartnell when he got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Did you know who Matt Smith was?
    Yes, but, from memory, it was only because I’d read something about him once being on Northampton’s books.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think the only one I'd ever heard of was Peter Davidson.

Seriously. ??Chris Eccleston , David Tennant
    , Peter Capaldi.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Sadly, I’m old enough not to have heard of William Hartnell when he got the job.
    You never saw ‘Carry On Sergeant’?

IMO the original and best Dr.Who. A character who was slightly sinister and quite serious, unlike the rather jokey Dr.Who's who followed.

Patrick Troughton
    Tom Baker
    Richard Hurndall
    Matt Smith
    The actress that played the runaway doctor
    Jodie Whittaker
    The new one
    T

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You never saw ‘Carry On Sergeant’?
    Carry on Sergeant was released in 1958. I don’t think I’d been to a cinema then. I don’t know when it was first shown on TV. Seen it since of course.

Carry on Sergeant was released in 1958. I don’t think I’d been to a cinema then. I don’t know when it was first shown on TV. Seen it since of course.
    Cinema??? Cinema???? It was ‘going to the pictures’ or ‘going to the flicks’.........cinema pah! You’ll be calling it the movies next

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cinema??? Cinema???? It was ‘going to the pictures’ or ‘going to the flicks’.........cinema pah! You’ll be calling it the movies next
    Quite right, going to the pictures- at the Rialto for the first time

The first 2 series of Sex Education are well worth a watch. He is great in it but it also features a great turn by Gillian Anderson as a sex therapist if that's more of your thing

Ncuti Gatwa

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Seriously. ??Chris Eccleston , David Tennant
    , Peter Capaldi.
    I don't remember any of them being announced as Dr Who.

Controversial, but am I alone in thinking that Jodie and the new one got the part more because of their gender and colour rather than acting ability?
    Having watched Doctor Who from the first episode (with some gaps when it got silly), I gave up after watching the second episode of Jodie's tenure.
    And remembering that first episode - the Doctor is a GRANDFATHER ffs, so the appointment of JW really grated with me.
    Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Controversial, but am I alone in thinking that Jodie and the new one got the part more because of their gender and colour rather than acting ability?
    Having watched Doctor Who from the first episode (with some gaps when it got silly), I gave up after watching the second episode of Jodie's tenure.
    And remembering that first episode - the Doctor is a GRANDFATHER ffs, so the appointment of JW really grated with me.
    Rant over.
    Do you not rate him as an actor?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Do you not rate him as an actor?
    never heard of him, so never seen him act.

I hate how they feel compelled to say the new one is a 'person of colour'

I hate how the media love to make ordinary things about colour or race or religion. It's almost if the people who control the media have some agenda.

Rant over.
    I had no problem with Jodie Whittaker but also gave up after a few episodes.
    If the middle-aged white guy who currently writes it could produce dialogue which was slightly better than the first draft of a year 5 school play then I might have given it some more chances.
    Thank god Russell T Davies is coming back is all I can say.

never heard of him, so never seen him act.
    So if you know nothing about him, why do you think he mainly got it because he's black?

Isn't it a bit weird to say it's not because of his acting ability, when you have never seen him act?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So if you know nothing about him, why do you think he mainly got it because he's black?

Isn't it a bit weird to say it's not because of his acting ability, when you have never seen him act?
    My comment wasn't directed at him ,personally, but it seems production companies are falling over themselves to "redress the imbalance" of the past. I'm all for diversity, but on merit. Positive discrimination is still discrimination.
    Think of the disasters that wwere the latest offerings in the Men in Black or Ghostbusters franchises.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

He won the prize for the best set of pie crimpers

My comment wasn't directed at him ,personally, but it seems production companies are falling over themselves to "redress the imbalance" of the past. I'm all for diversity, but on merit. Positive discrimination is still discrimination.
    Think of the disasters that wwere the latest offerings in the Men in Black or Ghostbusters franchises.
    Of course it was at him personally

" am I alone in thinking that Jodie and the new one got the part more because of their gender and colour rather than acting ability?"

Oh behave. He was excellent in Sex Education. Some of the other doctors hadn't had the same careers or awards before they took the role.

All Dr Who's to-date have been mainly white straight males with Jodie Whittaker the exception being a white straight female.

So you're telling us you have a problem with 7% representation for black people. Give your head a wobble - Dr Who is a fictitious shape shifting alien - and yet people claim it's 'woke' when a black guy plays him.