+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VE Day

Re: VE Day

Anyone getting excited about anything to do with the royal family is fecking odd

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Anyone getting excited about anything to do with the royal family is fecking odd
    Though there are a few Tories asking Prince Andrew for tips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5u8z8FwU4c

And here he is again

Shoot him Kurt!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.
    Guess you don't work for the tourist board

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5u8z8FwU4c

And here he is again

Shoot him Kurt!
    Remember that Ken something or other, the England super fan. Used to wear a Union Jack suit and top hat and march around the pitch pre match. Turned out to be a Jimmy Saville type.

I'll admit that my experience of this isn't that great, but a majority of the people who fought in, or lived through, World War Two that I've come across either won't talk about their experiences or are reluctant to do so. It seems to me that it is the generations that came after the WW2 that seek to glorify it in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'll admit that my experience of this isn't that great, but a majority of the people who fought in, or lived through, World War Two that I've come across either won't talk about their experiences or are reluctant to do so. It seems to me that it is the generations that came after the WW2 that seek to glorify it in some way.
    Wasn't there a similar trend when it came to voting for Brexit? Those who were old enough to remember the war or have been a part of it were much more likely to want to stay in the EU, valuing a close relationship with Europe, while the next generation were most likely to want to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I used to always think the royals were a waste of time, but as I get older, I see they do no harm ( apart from Andrew ) and I have mellowed with age about them

it hasn't got as far as wearing the union flag or screaming hysterically outside any hospital
    I'm with you to an extent about the monarchy. I've revised my opinions of my youth where I would've lolloped off their heads and will now be satisfied with selling them to the Yanks as The Goodies suggested.

I think they got enough in their skill set and connections to be self sustaining as a family so don't see the need why public money should be funding them? I actually feel for them due to all the intrusive press they must endure.

Harry and Meghan being an example of the worse excesses of the mindset of some of the media in England.

Give me until this afternoon mind and I could change my mind and want to guillotine them all.

I once lived in Bridgwater (something I keep schtum about) and the people in the otherwise civilised cul-de-sac I lived in decided to 'celebrate' VJ day.
    I say 'celebrate' rather than 'commemorate' as the evening was rounded off with Queen's 'We Are The Champions' being played at notch 11 on the speakers - but I can't remember the Japanese chap at No. 25 coming out to wave a scarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wasn't there a similar trend when it came to voting for Brexit? Those who were old enough to remember the war or have been a part of it were much more likely to want to stay in the EU, valuing a close relationship with Europe, while the next generation were most likely to want to leave?
    Yes, there was a survey I posted a link to on here a while back which showed that, after under 25s I think it was, the WW2 generation were the age group that was most in favour of remaining in the EU.

Was bidet two days before D-Day?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Remember that Ken something or other, the England super fan. Used to wear a Union Jack suit and top hat and march around the pitch pre match. Turned out to be a Jimmy Saville type.
    Ken Baily (1911-1993). I remember him getting a lot of stick when he walked in front of the Bob Bank in the mid 70s.

Also famous for covering up Erica Roe at Twickenham.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Ken Baily (1911-1993). I remember him getting a lot of stick when he walked in front of the Bob Bank in the mid 70s.

Also famous for covering up Erica Roe at Twickenham.
    Erica Roe, now that was a pair of magnificent jugs.

Maybe I’m just a cynic but I always get the impression the types to go out and spend a bunch on tea, cakes, scones, booze, bunting, etc would be some of the least likely to drop a few quid in a collection bucket or buy some food for a homeless veteran (or any homeless person for that matter). Also it was 80 years ago, 99% of the people celebrating won’t have even been born before VE Day.
    There’s no “good” side in war. The allies did numerous abhorrent acts on their way to victory. To me that shouldn’t be celebrated.

I don’t personally wear a poppy for various reasons but I do always take a moment to reflect on Remembrance Day and think the events held in memory of the dead are much more respectful than a VE Day celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.
    The Soviet-style takeover of Radio Stations 1 to 4 when Phil The Greek pegged it was ridiculous. When Queeny goes I shall giving much of the British media a miss for a few days. I have no time for heads of state and peers who were given priveleged positions in life merely due to the bed they were born in. It's a ludicrous concept and the semi-deification of the royals me shudder.
    As for the retort that they bring in tourist income: so does Mickey Mouse in the States but that's no reason to deign him the Head of State. Er, hang on, that may be a better option than the turkeys they usually elect........

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Soviet-style takeover of Radio Stations 1 to 4 when Phil The Greek pegged it was ridiculous. When Queeny goes I shall giving much of the British media a miss for a few days. I have no time for heads of state and peers who were given priveleged positions in life merely due to the bed they were born in. It's a ludicrous concept and the semi-deification of the royals me shudder.
    As for the retort that they bring in tourist income: so does Mickey Mouse in the States but that's no reason to deign him the Head of State. Er, hang on, that may be a better option than the turkeys they usually elect........
    You'll do well to bypass the emotive tirade in just a 'Few Days' i'm sad to say. Have you thought about knocking down your Beach Bar and digging out a Bunker?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You'll do well to bypass the emotive tirade in just a 'Few Days' i'm sad to say. Have you thought about knocking down your Beach Bar and digging out a Bunker?
    I shall line the walls of the beach bar with Bacofoil, sit in there with a multitude of canned comestibles and a crate or two of jus de grape and watch documentaries about the French Revolution until the coast clears - and hoping to miss Nicholas Witchell fawning obsequiously to Chuck when I re-surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Maybe I’m just a cynic but I always get the impression the types to go out and spend a bunch on tea, cakes, scones, booze, bunting, etc would be some of the least likely to drop a few quid in a collection bucket or buy some food for a homeless veteran (or any homeless person for that matter). Also it was 80 years ago, 99% of the people celebrating won’t have even been born before VE Day.
    There’s no “good” side in war. The allies did numerous abhorrent acts on their way to victory. To me that shouldn’t be celebrated.

I don’t personally wear a poppy for various reasons but I do always take a moment to reflect on Remembrance Day and think the events held in memory of the dead are much more respectful than a VE Day celebration.
    Strange post.

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that people who enjoy a street party etc are less likely to support veterans. I only know one person who has arranged one - her husband served (and suffered) in Iraq and her grandfather served in WW2.

I could speculate that the "types" who shun street parties but moan about them on the internet are significantly less likely to want to help out a homeless veteran, but there is no evidence for it, so I shant.

I agree that no one side is perfect in war, and the allies did do bad crimes, especially if you include the Red Army in that, which we should. But if you seriously think the servicemen we remember on VE day are comparable to Nazis, then I think thats a very ignorant belief and not one that stands up to much scrutiny.

Up to you whether you wear a poppy - thats the political freedom that many fought and died or otherwise had their lives ruined in order for you to decide for yourself.

I for one am proud of them, and see no issue in celebrating the defeat of the Nazis and remembering the sacrifice people made is the least we can do.

Now pass me the Victoria Sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I shall line the walls of the beach bar with Bacofoil, sit in there with a multitude of canned comestibles and a crate or two of jus de grape and watch documentaries about the French Revolution until the coast clears - and hoping to miss Nicholas Witchell fawning obsequiously to Chuck when I re-surface.
    Wroclaw for me. Should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Maybe I’m just a cynic but I always get the impression the types to go out and spend a bunch on tea, cakes, scones, booze, bunting, etc would be some of the least likely to drop a few quid in a collection bucket or buy some food for a homeless veteran (or any homeless person for that matter).
    what a strange post, but thats just the miserable cynic in you imho

as I started the post about my " afternoon tea " I might aswell be drawn into this reply

we spent a few quid on our " party " and will do the same for the Jubilee ( even got some bunting to put up on the village green ) but just to not live upto your " impression " I help out at a food bank and before easter purchased ( from B&M as they were the cheapest ) 200 Easter eggs ( the quid sized ones, nothing too over the top ) so the week before easter anyone going to the food bank could have a Easter egg, you know it might brighten some poor sods day

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Now pass me the Victoria Sponge.
    Always had you down as a Battenburg type of guy

More likely munching on a Blue Riband

Steady on, anglicised to Mountbatten I’ll wager.