+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VE Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: VE Day

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We should all be grateful to the sacrifices that men and women have made for us

But like the clap the nhs bollocks its all bullshit really

More people will be pouncing around for the Queen than collecting money to help injured soldiers or build a new hospital

It's all union jack bollocks
    I know what you're getting at, but it's difficult to understand from the relative comfort of 2022 what it felt when the war was over. Just leave it be, and save an hour or so for Remembrance Sunday/11th November.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know what you're getting at, but it's difficult to understand from the relative comfort of 2022 what it felt when the war was over. Just leave it be, and save an hour or so for Remembrance Sunday/11th November.
    I would quite like November 11th to be a national holiday of remembrance and scrap things like VE day etc.

My old man did the whole WW2 thing, Dunkirk escape then shipped off to Burma for about four years with Viscount Slim’s forgotten army. He didn’t speak a lot about his experiences and certainly didn’t ‘celebrate’ any anniversaries, indeed one of the only times he mentioned the war was to pooh pooh VE Day, saying it meant bugger all to him as the war he was fighting was still raging.

He never wore a poppy, he didn’t really want to commemorate the worst years of his life. My mother reckoned she used to get some stick when working in Curran’s at the time the days after a raid, while others were gloating over dead German airmen who’d been shot down, she’d often say that it was some poor mother’s son.

War is a dreadful business and parading up and down gloating is not for me, a tragedy for the ‘everyday’ person on both sides.

All my opinion mind, an opinion forged by my Mam & Dad.