+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Northampton making a formal complaint about Scunthorpe

Northampton making a formal complaint about Scunthorpe

I've just read that Northampton Town are going to make a formal complaint about Scunthorpe's decision to field kids against Bristol Rovers as compromising the "integrity of the final day".

It's interesting reading some of the stats from Northampton's final game at Barrow. They were 3-0 up after 22 minutes. Between the 33rd and 88th minutes Northampton didn't register a single shot at the Barrow goal. Obviously news had filtered through that Bristol Rovers had scored the seven they needed and Northampton managed 3 goal attempts in the dying moments.

Instead of blaming Scunthorpe, I'd suggest that Northampton look at how their foot off the pedal from being 3-0 up. It was only when they realised they had slipped out of the top 3 that they decided to have a go again. One would be quite reasonable in thinking that Northampton could have added more against a side who had just avoided relegation and had started like they had nothing to play for.

It reminds me of the tortoise and the hare.

Re: Northampton making a formal complaint about Scunthorpe

They shouldn't have taken their foot off the gas, neither should a weaker team have been fielded.

Simple really

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5299965]I've just read that Northampton Town are going to make a formal complaint about Scunthorpe's decision to field kids against Bristol Rovers as compromising the "integrity of the final day".

It's interesting reading some of the stats from Northampton's final game at Barrow. They were 3-0 up after 22 minutes. Between the 33rd and 88th minutes Northampton didn't register a single shot at the Barrow goal. Obviously news had filtered through that Bristol Rovers had scored the seven they needed and Northampton managed 3 goal attempts in the dying moments.

Instead of blaming Scunthorpe, I'd suggest that Northampton look at how their foot off the pedal from being 3-0 up. It was only when they realised they had slipped out of the top 3 that they decided to have a go again. One would be quite reasonable in thinking that Northampton could have added more against a side who had just avoided relegation and had started like they had nothing to play for.

It reminds me of the tortoise and the hare.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!
    It was the first (only) time that Bristol had got into the promotion places all season.

it was no secret that Scunthorpe were going to field that team, they haven't the players available

Northampton thought at 3-0 the job was done, after all no-one expects a 7 - 0 win, of course the Barrow goal changed it a little

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    They shouldn't have taken their foot off the gas, neither should a weaker team have been fielded.

Simple really
    A report on SSN the other day said something like Scunthorpe made fewer changes to their team than the maximum allowed within the rules.

They were rock bottom of the league and had conceded 4, 5 and 6 goals against teams already this season.

It'll be interesting to see if Northampton have a case bearing that in mind.

I think it does need looking at.

Id be pissed off it that happened to us. Ok 3 changes for this game but 7 teenagers including a 17 year old 1st year keeper.

1 of the 3 changes Lobley a young 17 year old thrown in on debut scores an own goal to put them one down.

The same Lobley has been released.

Hills selection needs looking at.

Also only 3 changes from the last match.

However the match before Foster the 17 year old 1st year keeper made his debut.

It doesnt look great.

Bristol Rovers pitch invasion meaning they knew all they had to do was hang on when they eventually returned as well id say Northampton have every right to feel hard done by.

Ultimately feck all can be done about it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've just read that Northampton Town are going to make a formal complaint about Scunthorpe's decision to field kids against Bristol Rovers as compromising the "integrity of the final day".

It reminds me of the tortoise and the hare.
    I agree. The cobblers should have gone for the throat and tried to score more. Sounds a bit like sour grapes. If Rovers had only scored 6, then nothing would have been mentioned.
    If the youngsters were in the squad, then i don’t see what the FA can do about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think it does need looking at.

Id be pissed off it that happened to us. Ok 3 changes for this game but 7 teenagers including a 17 year old 1st year keeper.

1 of the 3 changes Lobley a young 17 year old thrown in on debut scores an own goal to put them one down.

The same Lobley has been released.

Hills selection needs looking at.
    Had Northampton not taken their foot off the gas all of the issues surrounding Scunthorpe's side would be utterly irrelevant.

I did think at the time it looks a bit iffy. I didn't know until now about the team Scunthorpe fielded.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Had Northampton not taken their foot off the gas all of the issues surrounding Scunthorpe's side would be utterly irrelevant.
    Or would Bristol Rovers got another 2 in added time rather than running it into the corner seeing out the clock.

We will disgree. You think selecting a line up like that is fine. I dont.

Id be seriously pissed off if a club selected a side like that and it cost us promotion.

Hadn't Scunthorpe been fielding teams like that for weeks, as soon as they were relegated?
    I can see why Northampton would be annoyed though.

With Scunthorpe it is what it is but the football league seemed to have turned a blind eye to the antics of Bristol Rovers fans in succeeding in getting such a big gap in the game with the pitch invasion that when they returned they were already up essentially. Didn't they play over 25 minutes of injury time? No wonder they were in no rush to clear the pitch.

Wonder what would have happened if cardiff fans did that??

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Hadn't Scunthorpe been fielding teams like that for weeks, as soon as they were relegated?
    I can see why Northampton would be annoyed though.
    I think at least 5 including the 17 year old keeper made their debuts in the last 2.

The 17 year old who made his debut in the last game scored an awful own goal , subbed in the 1st half and released after the game so hardly one for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    With Scunthorpe it is what it is but the football league seemed to have turned a blind eye to the antics of Bristol Rovers fans in succeeding in getting such a big gap in the game with the pitch invasion that when they returned they were already up essentially. Didn't they play over 25 minutes of injury time? No wonder they were in no rush to clear the pitch.

Wonder what would have happened if cardiff fans did that??
    25 mins added time. Scored the 7th in the 85th minute.

Probably 10 minutes or so of football to play.

They knew all they had to do was hold the lead. If theyd needed more goals would they have got them.? Fair chance they would have with the crowd behind them and a destroyed bunch of out of their depth teenagers. But instead they ran the clock down.

‘Foot off The Gas’ deserves more appreciation in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    ‘Foot off The Gas’ deserves more appreciation in this thread.
    Remember the ‘phoney’ programmes that shysters used to sell outside the ground for big games? I wonder if Bristol Rovers had Pirate programmes?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Remember the ‘phoney’ programmes that shysters used to sell outside the ground for big games? I wonder if Bristol Rovers had Pirate programmes?
    Splott Parker, the quipster, reins supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Splott Parker, the quipster, reins supreme!
    Aw, don’t reign on my parade

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Or would Bristol Rovers got another 2 in added time rather than running it into the corner seeing out the clock.

We will disgree. You think selecting a line up like that is fine. I dont.

Id be seriously pissed off if a club selected a side like that and it cost us promotion.
    I'd be seriously pissed off if we were going for automatic promotion and took it easy thinking we'd done enough.