+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Gove.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Michael Gove.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The point is, the UK government is responsible for benefits in every nation/region in the UK. And yet there are glaring disparities nationwide, and those where they have far less responsibility (in transport, education, economic devt, healthcare, housing) the need for foodbanks is far worse.

I wasn't accusing you of not caring. I was answering your questions. I do think people who just use any situation of suffering and make a lazy political argument devoid of facts are guilty of caring more about politics than helping people. If you want to solve a problem, you look at the facts.

You have no idea how I vote, but I had three votes last week, and I assure you one of those went to a centre-left party. And as I said, you view it as consistently punching down on the most needy, but I have stated four facts here;

1 / the tories raised minimum wage more than labour
    2 / the tories raised the tax threshold on lowest paid more than labour
    3 / the tories typically get more working class people in jobs than labour
    4 / the need for foodbanks is demonstrably higher in places where the tories have the least control over the levers of power.

Notice, I won't accuse you of voting for a party that consistently punches down, but the evidence isnt great.

The Tories voted against the minimum wage. Just like they voted against having an NHS.
    They may have raised the income tax threshold but then reduced benefits elsewhere
    Have you evidence to prove the Tories get more working class people into work than Labour?
    The need for food banks is clearly higher in areas of poverty and in case you hadn’t noticed there were precious few foodbanks in existence prior to 2010. Now they are everywhere.

How anyone can defend a Govt full of millionaires who were forced to make a uturn to allow starving children free school meals is beyond me. They are morally bankcrupt liars and in case you hadn’t noticed they are in power far more than Labour so they take the blame for the depressing state of the UK.

Re: Michael Gove.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The Tories voted against the minimum wage. Just like they voted against having an NHS.
    They may have raised the income tax threshold but then reduced benefits elsewhere
    Have you evidence to prove the Tories get more working class people into work than Labour?
    The need for food banks is clearly higher in areas of poverty and in case you hadn’t noticed there were precious few foodbanks in existence prior to 2010. Now they are everywhere.

How anyone can defend a Govt full of millionaires who were forced to make a uturn to allow starving children free school meals is beyond me. They are morally bankcrupt liars and in case you hadn’t noticed they are in power far more than Labour so they take the blame for the depressing state of the UK.
    You are right - a previous government did many years ago - But now they support it and have raised it by more than the opposition ever did.

Benefits have gone up and down.

Some evidence here on reduced unemployment under the Tories
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...on-the-economy

Foodbanks have risen across the world in recent years. It's not a good thing, but the fact they are universal and the fact they are worse in areas where the Cons have less control over means to eradicate poverty, may suggest other factors are at play. There will be many, but the global financial crisis was a gamechanger.

The tories didn't vote to not feed starving school kids - they botched the vote but are actually the only party at a UK level to ever actually do it - free school meals in the holidays were never a thing before Covid. Don't believe everything Angela Rayner says.

The UK isn't necessarily in a depressing state - have you compared us to other countries?