Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Michael Gove.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    On a normal working class wage you could:-
    Afford to get on the property ladder
    Put your kids through Uni
    Buy a weekly shop without taking a mortgage out.

We also had a proper NHS which actually had mental health services and services to look after our old people
    We also owned all our utilities which weren't driven by shareholder profit so the cost was relatively cheap.
    Agh 78 what a shit time to be alive.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-pub-25034880

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    But that doesn't make what insider said wrong. I was in my early twenties in 1978 and all of the stuff he says is true.

The winter of discontent was probably the one event over any other which proved that some unions had too much power and there was a reaction against that in the years which followed, but the pendulum has swung even further towards the employer/shareholder since then and, in my view, a degree of correction is needed as much now as it was in 1978.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    But that doesn't make what insider said wrong. I was in my early twenties in 1978 and all of the stuff he says is true.

The winter of discontent was probably the one event over any other which proved that some unions had too much power and there was a reaction against that in the years which followed, but the pendulum has swung even further towards the employer/shareholder since then and, in my view, a degree of correction is needed as much now as it was in 1978.
    I agree on switch of power, it has swung to far towards the employer, but I think that is changing as there is a low unemployment and a shortage of good staff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yep. Certain unions had become too powerful and the irony being their disruption ushered in Thatcherism. It’s now gone too far the other way which of course will meet with Tory approval.
    Not sure I agree with you about food banks. They were very few in number when Labour left office. It really is under the Tories that the numbers have hugely increased which indeed you have pointed out. I don’t blame Labour for any of that but they have been feeble and disunited in opposition and I do blame them for that. If they are not careful they will be out of office for more than 18 years. It was bad enough when that happened the last time around.