+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VE Day

VE Day

Thanks you to all past and present service personnel

Anyone do anything to celebrate ? ?

we have afternoon tea in the garden, a few sandwiches cut into triangles ( like posh people do ) and cheese scones and then plain / cheery scones with jam and cream ( it was something that a mate of mine did to celebrate when he came down to stay with us about 10 years ago, he is still serving, now a staff Sargent and still does it )

Re: VE Day

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

we have afternoon tea in the garden, a few sandwiches cut into triangles ( like posh people do ) and cheese scones and then plain / cheery scones with jam and cream ( it was something that a mate of mine did to celebrate when he came down to stay with us about 10 years ago, he is still serving, now a staff Sargent and still does it )
    Is it something to celebrate still? Given all the events in Ukraine, perhaps we should all, around the world, instead of celebrating our little war wins, be reflecting on all those killed in the pursuit of war and be pushing for world peace.

just Reading an article about a few 80 something Cypriots still trying to sue the UK after being tortured and having pals murdered by the UK military when they were juveniles in the 1950's... Enjoy your jam scones thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    just Reading an article about a few 80 something Cypriots still trying to sue the UK after being tortured and having pals murdered by the UK military when they were juveniles in the 1950's... Enjoy your jam scones thou.
    Jam and cream Scones, while raising a cuppa to the past and present service personnel but yea we did thanks

Maybe "commemorate" would be better than "celebrate".
    We certainly shouldn't forget how evil the Nazis were and the sacrifices made to stop them, but we must also realise that there has been almost continual war, somewhere in the world ever since then.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Maybe "commemorate" would be better than "celebrate".
    We certainly shouldn't forget how evil the Nazis were and the sacrifices made to stop them, but we must also realise that there has been almost continual war, somewhere in the world ever since then.
    yea, we didnt really whoop and holler about it, "commemorate" seems a fair enough word, shouldn't upset folk then I guess

we mark VE Day ( with afternoon tea ) and remembrance Sunday ( by going to a service )

Jam and cream Scones, while raising a cuppa to the past and present service personnel but yea we did thanks
    I hope Wales soon gains it's independence then, I'd gladly raise a cuppa for our servicemen, ones who's allegiances lie here and would never have carried thatcher's coffin or called their own whingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Is it something to celebrate still? Given all the events in Ukraine, perhaps we should all, around the world, instead of celebrating our little war wins, be reflecting on all those killed in the pursuit of war and be pushing for world peace.
    Can you explain how we push for world peace, when you get evil crackpots like Hitler and Putin running riot?
    Do we all send them strongly worded letters and emails ?
    You do realise that a huge majority of people all over the world are peace loving folk, but as in all walks of life, the fate of many, is guided by the hands of few.

We should all be grateful to the sacrifices that men and women have made for us

But like the clap the nhs bollocks its all bullshit really

More people will be pouncing around for the Queen than collecting money to help injured soldiers or build a new hospital

It's all union jack bollocks

The older I get the more I despise the Union Jack waving, forelock tugging, God save the Queen type merchants. Worked out well the Poland away fixture clashing with the cringeworthy jubilee ‘celebrations’, no better time to be out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The older I get the more I despise the Union Jack waving, forelock tugging, God save the Queen type merchants. Worked out well the Poland away fixture clashing with the cringeworthy jubilee ‘celebrations’, no better time to be out of the country.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We should all be grateful to the sacrifices that men and women have made for us

But like the clap the nhs bollocks its all bullshit really

More people will be pouncing around for the Queen than collecting money to help injured soldiers or build a new hospital

It's all union jack bollocks
    I know what you're getting at, but it's difficult to understand from the relative comfort of 2022 what it felt when the war was over. Just leave it be, and save an hour or so for Remembrance Sunday/11th November.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know what you're getting at, but it's difficult to understand from the relative comfort of 2022 what it felt when the war was over. Just leave it be, and save an hour or so for Remembrance Sunday/11th November.
    I would quite like November 11th to be a national holiday of remembrance and scrap things like VE day etc.

My old man did the whole WW2 thing, Dunkirk escape then shipped off to Burma for about four years with Viscount Slim’s forgotten army. He didn’t speak a lot about his experiences and certainly didn’t ‘celebrate’ any anniversaries, indeed one of the only times he mentioned the war was to pooh pooh VE Day, saying it meant bugger all to him as the war he was fighting was still raging.

He never wore a poppy, he didn’t really want to commemorate the worst years of his life. My mother reckoned she used to get some stick when working in Curran’s at the time the days after a raid, while others were gloating over dead German airmen who’d been shot down, she’d often say that it was some poor mother’s son.

War is a dreadful business and parading up and down gloating is not for me, a tragedy for the ‘everyday’ person on both sides.

All my opinion mind, an opinion forged by my Mam & Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    I hope Wales soon gains it's independence then, I'd gladly raise a cuppa for our servicemen, ones who's allegiances lie here and would never have carried thatcher's coffin or called their own whingers.
    You talk utter ****ing shit

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    +1
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    You talk utter ****ing shit
    I’d have carried the witch’s coffin but the lid would have had to been off so I could make sure it definitely was her in it. Lamby Way tip would have been its final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’d have carried the witch’s coffin but the lid would have had to been off so I could make sure it definitely was her in it. Lamby Way tip would have been its final destination.
    Going to have to disagree with your sentiments there.

I’d have cryogenically preserved her corpse and wheeled it out on the 8th April every year so people could commemorate or celebrate her demise accordingly. Perhaps leaving people throw things at her? Granted that could be a touch too far?

I’d also make that April 8th a Bank Holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Going to have to disagree with your sentiments there.

I’d have cryogenically preserved her corpse and wheeled it out on the 8th April every year so people could commemorate or celebrate her demise accordingly. Perhaps leaving people throw things at her? Granted that could be a touch too far?

I’d also make that April 8th a Bank Holiday.
    Trampthedirtdownday?

so no-one on here had a afternoon tea then

most on here used to day to rekindle their hatred of Maggie, The queen and the union flag, well, hope you enjoyed the day however you spent it

most on here used to day to rekindle their hatred of Maggie, The queen and the union flag, well, hope you enjoyed the day however you spent it
    That's Democracy for you.

Each to their own Matthew.

I'm glad you used the day to spend quality time with the family.

I've got you down mind as someone who hangs around the hospital whilst waiting on a Royal birth, clad in a Union Jack and screaming hysterically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Each to their own Matthew.

I'm glad you used the day to spend quality time with the family.

I've got you down mind as someone who hangs around the hospital whilst waiting on a Royal birth, clad in a Union Jack and screaming hysterically.
    I used to always think the royals were a waste of time, but as I get older, I see they do no harm ( apart from Andrew ) and I have mellowed with age about them

it hasn't got as far as wearing the union flag or screaming hysterically outside any hospital

I used to always think the royals were a waste of time, but as I get older, I see they do no harm ( apart from Andrew ) and I have mellowed with age about them

it hasn't got as far as wearing the union flag or screaming hysterically outside any hospital
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I am anti-monarchist but you don't have to look too far around for worse Heads of State so I have a grudging acceptance of their existence. That said, based on Diana and Phil the Greeks' passing I resent the intrusion into my civil liberty to go about my normal life because of some overblown civic fealty to the Crown. When the Queen dies I don't want to be locked into some kind of week of national misery any more than a need to celebrate Jubilees.

Basically let them exist because there are worse examples but live in the background.
    talking of Jubilees

We have been invited to a Jubilee party in our local Village, now normally I would think " Oh great, meeting people I have no real interest in ( unless they have been to Disney ? ? ? ), they will most probably be " middle class Englanders " ( it is a middle-class English village after all ) who I have very little in common with, im going to have a crap time, but having walked the dogs around the village during lockdown ( we moved here 3 weeks before the 1st lockdown ) and saying good morning / its a nice day to people out and about ( as we all did back them, actually be polite to others ) Im looking forward to it, Im sure some will annoy me, but thats all part of life

I must remember not to put a post on here " how did people celebrate the Queens Jubilee " as im sure it'll be very similar to how they celebrated VE Day, but with maybe more hatred towards the Queen and the union flag