+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Bowen to Newport

Sam Bowen to Newport

Re: Sam Bowen to Newport

You think he'd go to a league 1 club to work his way up.

Away from Morison and it couldn’t have come a minute sooner. Been treated very shabbily since he returned from injury in January. Season turned into a nightmare for him after breaking through at start of the season.

I could go into detail some of the things that have been done and said to him but it won’t change anything. I just hope it spurs him on to prove people wrong.

Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Away from Morison and it couldn’t have come a minute sooner. Been treated very shabbily since he returned from injury in January. Season turned into a nightmare for him after breaking through at start of the season.

I could go into detail some of the things that have been done and said to him but it won’t change anything. I just hope it spurs him on to prove people wrong.

Best of luck to him.
    Good luck to him.I didn't really get much of a chance to look at him, but the general consensus seems to be that he's composed and has the ability to make time for himself. I played against his dad a few times during my younger days and was in the same group as him up at Aberystwyth for Wales Schools trials, and came up against him in a couple of reserve games. Fantastic player and a really nice person. Didn't he play for Georgetown? Had a really good side back in the late eighties.

Best of luck to him.
    Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good luck to him.I didn't really get much of a chance to look at him, but the general consensus seems to be that he's composed and has the ability to make time for himself. I played against his dad a few times during my younger days and was in the same group as him up at Aberystwyth for Wales Schools trials, and came up against him in a couple of reserve games. Fantastic player and a really nice person. Didn't he play for Georgetown? Had a really good side back in the late eighties.
    Yes, Georgetown, the original Merthyr academy. Pembridge, Bowen, Steve Jenkins all come through around that time to have good professional careers, In Pembridge case an excellent career.

Yes, Georgetown, the original Merthyr academy. Pembridge, Bowen, Steve Jenkins all come through around that time to have good professional careers, In Pembridge case an excellent career.
    Jason Bowen should have done more in my opinion. Remember when he went to Southampton in the premier league on loan and did really well. He was just so laid back, loads of natural ability, but nothing seemed to rile him up. Very good player.

Maybe he's got a good relationship with James Rowberry and is happy to link up with him again

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Do tell.
    Yeah, i'd like Harts to spill the beans, although i don't think that it would end well, so maybe not

Jason Bowen should have done more in my opinion. Remember when he went to Southampton in the premier league on loan and did really well. He was just so laid back, loads of natural ability, but nothing seemed to rile him up. Very good player.
    Yeah my old man has always said that to him. Should have got more out of his talent. Was too good to be playing 4th tier for us when he did. Dunno what happened at Southampton was told by Dave Jones start house hunting but then come to end of loan and nothing got done permanently.

Yeah, i'd like Harts to spill the beans, although i don't think that it would end well, so maybe not
    No, it’s not really my place to say, but if it was my child who was treated the way he was in the workplace I would be bastard tamping.

No, it’s not really my place to say, but if it was my child who was treated the way he was in the workplace I would be bastard tamping.

I know I've banged on about Bowen a bit on here, but it is a shame he's going considering he was one of the few players to look somewhat decent under Mick at the start of the season, he deserved more of a chance

People online are now talking about an "attitude" problem he has and that being the reason he hasn't played/is going, very unfair on him if that's the impression fans are left with, particularly if what JR has said is true (and I've no reason to believe it isn't)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I know I've banged on about Bowen a bit on here, but it is a shame he's going considering he was one of the few players to look somewhat decent under Mick at the start of the season, he deserved more of a chance

People online are now talking about an "attitude" problem he has and that being the reason he hasn't played/is going, very unfair on him if that's the impression fans are left with, particularly if what JR has said is true (and I've no reason to believe it isn't)
    Very unfair to label Bowen in this way without either a shred of evidence or knowing what has gone on. You ay that he featured under Mick, sorry, my memory and observation skills are lacking. Mick might be a few thing, but a fool he is not, if there was one person who would not put up with a poor attitude, then it would be him.

Very unfair to label Bowen in this way without either a shred of evidence or knowing what has gone on. You ay that he featured under Mick, sorry, my memory and observation skills are lacking. Mick might be a few thing, but a fool he is not, if there was one person who would not put up with a poor attitude, then it would be him.
    Yes I agree completely unfair (I hope I made that clear)

Yeah he played a few times, one I remember in particular was the defeat to Reading where I'd say he was our best player in what was actually a good performance, he also outperformed Wintle against Brighton.

Just read something on ****, they’ve got form for making things up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Maybe he's got a good relationship with James Rowberry and is happy to link up with him again
    He can't follow him everywhere, one day he may come across another manager he doesn't get on with? Surely it's best to use that to fire you up to want to succeed more?

I'm glad he's somewhere for now where he can play and develop, but moving forward I think he needs to toughen up a bit mentally. Don't waste a career blaming managers you don't click with.

Surely unfair to label the manager things without evidence too? But that seems to go on.

Shame he wasn’t up to it but we have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Surely unfair to label the manager things without evidence too? But that seems to go on.
    I'd say that the majority of things labeled towards the manager have been on his media appearances or tactics, which is quite evidential when forming an opinion, whether right or wrong. Some people saying that Bowen had a poor attitude without any evidence to back it up is just wrong. If people want to form an opinion based on Bowen's performances, then fair enough.

Jason was a decent player

didnt he have another son who was with our academy ? ? ? Jaye

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Jason was a decent player

didnt he have another son who was with our academy ? ? ? Jaye
    Yes he did, Jaye was more like Jason in that he played as a winger/wide midfielder - a talented player, but he never really looked like breaking into the first team squad.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes he did, Jaye was more like Jason in that he played as a winger/wide midfielder - a talented player, but he never really looked like breaking into the first team squad.
    Jaye was at Cinderford Town for a while and has been at numerous clubs since, was last at Penybont I think.

Wasn’t Jason diagnosed with MND last year?

Mick McCarthy basically said that Bowen was not versatile enough in that he appeared happy to stay in a sitting midfield position and was not stretching himself when he first came to the club, hence his use in a right wing back or more advanced midfield role in some of his first team appearances.

Statistically, the most dominant performance the City produced bar none last season was at home to Reading where we had twenty seven goal attempts to two and somehow ended up losing 1-0. Sam Bowen, playing an advanced midfield role, was as good as anyone in a blue shirt in that match and who knows what would have happened after that if he'd not got injured. My suspicion is though that things would have probably turned out just the same as they have done as long as Steve Morison was in charge as he clearly doesn't rate the player.

Perhaps Bowen's "attitude problem" (in the unlikely event that he had one) was down to the knowledge that, no matter what he did, he was going to get nowhere at the club under this manager - certainly, Bowen's performances for the Under 23 side once he'd come back from his injury looked like those of someone who knew he had no chance of selection in the senior side.

I'm surprised and disappointed Steve Morison didn't recognise Bowen's ability, but there'll always be players who become surplus to requirements when a new manager takes over and this could turn out to be a very good move for Sam if can show why some of us have a lot of faith in him - it's the best thing he could have done in his position. and I wish him well for the future

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mick McCarthy basically said that Bowen was not versatile enough in that he appeared happy to stay in a sitting midfield position and was not stretching himself when he first came to the club, hence his use in a right wing back or more advanced midfield role in some of his first team appearances.

Statistically, the most dominant performance the City produced bar none last season was at home to Reading where we had twenty seven goal attempts to two and somehow ended up losing 1-0. Sam Bowen, playing an advanced midfield role, was as good as anyone in a blue shirt in that match and who knows what would have happened after that if he'd not got injured. My suspicion is though that things would have probably turned out just the same as they have done as long as Steve Morison was in charge as he clearly doesn't rate the player.

Perhaps Bowen's "attitude problem" (in the unlikely event that he had one) was down to the knowledge that, no matter what he did, he was going to get nowhere at the club under this manager - certainly, Bowen's performances for the Under 23 side once he'd come back from his injury looked like those of someone who knew he had no chance of selection in the senior side.

I'm surprised and disappointed Steve Morison didn't recognise Bowen's ability, but there'll always be players who become surplus to requirements when a new manager takes over and this could turn out to be a very good move for Sam if can show why some of us have a lot of faith in him - it's the best thing he could have done in his position. and I wish him well for the future
    Yep he has gone to a manger who knows him well so he obviously doesn't feel there is too much of an attitude problem!

Bowen will do really well at Newport I'm sure. However it is league 2 I suppose and sometimes a step back can help kick things on and it's certainly needed as his career is going nowhere at Cardiff. Good luck to him!