Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
Backs up what claim? This is what Bellamy said:

I love Sam as a player and he was my captain. You realise how good he is when you’re with him. The little movements he makes, he plays on a very high wavelength. He could go and train at a club like Liverpool and would have no problems. The better players he plays with, the better he is. The one thing I will say is that I think he’s playing too safe at the moment and I’ve told him that. Take the responsibility and stop relying on other players because you’ve got too much ability. What you’re seeing from him at the moment is only a fraction of his ability. He can control games, he can see passes and balls around corners, he can see the big picture and gets everything tactically. He needs to take responsibility, but that’s normal for a young kid. It took me seven or eight games. I was just keeping it simple and that’s not me. When he gets rid of this injury, he’ll be fine because his football IQ is very high.

Nowhere in there does he claim to "always take the easy option" just that hes playing too safe (for the first team), which is normal for a young kid breaking into the first team, something that Bellamy himself admits to doing when he broke through.

Unless there was more to the interview that wasnt published, but it seems to me a little bit of word twisting to suit a narrative.
It seems to me that the Mick McCarthy “criticism” of Bellamy was along the same lines - he’s under selling himself. All I’ve heard about Bowen from Steve Morison is a line about him needing to work hard to get back into the first team squad after recovering from his injury.

I’ll not jump to conclusions yet, but, based on what we’ve seen so far, Tuerto’s vision of a Morison side being a workaholic team very much concerned with what it does when not in possession of the ball seems realistic. I’d accept that if, unlike the last few years, we had around seven or eight who knew what to do with the ball when they get it - pretty sure Bowen would have fallen into that category if he had stayed, but, just like his dad, some managers probably consider him a luxury player.