+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barmy Army

Barmy Army

Why do City fans chant this nonsense at the CCS? It's to do with English cricket for ****s sake.

Re: Barmy Army

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Why do City fans chant this nonsense at the CCS? It's to do with English cricket for ****s sake.
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Chanted it for years, don’t let it get you down Al

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Chanted it for years, don’t let it get you down Al
    I called him Betty first, for ***s sake!

Not just the CCS, Ninian Park too. I can recall us singing it for 20 odd years since I’ve been going to games. It might as well be ours now.

I recall ‘Frankie Burrows’ Blue & White Army’. I can also recall ‘Lenny Ashurst’s Bushy Eyebrows’

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Not just the CCS, Ninian Park too. I can recall us singing it for 20 odd years since I’ve been going to games. It might as well be ours now.
    30 odd, as its been around since at least the Eddie May days.

I think it should be stopped.
    It's shit and embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Potentially we coined it before the cricket mob then. According to Wiki it was the mid 90’s where it caught on with the cricket supporters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barmy_Army

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    At least we used to make it a bit City related in the past with the ‘Lenny Ashurst, Frankie Burrows & Eddie May’, now it’s just a generic noise that fans of many clubs chant that has no specific relation to their team.

How I’d love it if we had some bright, switched on fans who could come up with some clever lyrics, some club’s fans come up with some gems, (that ‘I Feel Fine’ one about Klopp is really good). Saying that some of our lot have tried with some originals but get drowned out by the banal, very often anti other team/country, shite.

Even old favourites get drowned out, one I recall was a few of us trying to get the short and simple ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In (or Steaming In as one version went)’ but, of course it turned into the pathetic ‘Oh England is Full Of Shit’. I despair.

I think it should be stopped.
    It's shit and embarassing.
    Any suggestions on a replacement ditty?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    At least we used to make it a bit City related in the past with the ‘Lenny Ashurst, Frankie Burrows & Eddie May’, now it’s just a generic noise that fans of many clubs chant that has no specific relation to their team.

How I’d love it if we had some bright, switched on fans who could come up with some clever lyrics, some club’s fans come up with some gems, (that ‘I Feel Fine’ one about Klopp is really good). Saying that some of our lot have tried with some originals but get drowned out by the banal, very often anti other team/country, shite.

Even old favourites get drowned out, one I recall was a few of us trying to get the short and simple ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In (or Steaming In as one version went)’ but, of course it turned into the pathetic ‘Oh England is Full Of Shit’. I despair.
    The drum doesn’t help. I’ve heard several original songs interrupted by the drummers starting up another rendition of “when I was young” “Barmy Army” etc.

I think a dedicated sticky thread for new chants would be useful as well as losing the drummers and instead having dedicated “song starters” instead. Lots of clubs in Europe and South America use a small set of fans, some with megaphones, to start chants and it works a lot better than a drum.

Something the supporters club could look into potentially?

The Bob bank used to keep Eddie mays barmy army going for what seemed like the whole game

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Any suggestions on a replacement ditty?
    Not really pal. Anything would be better though.

Not really pal. Anything would be better though.
    Steve Morison’s Mental Military?

When I first heard of a cricket related Barmy Army, I thought how unoriginal.

We sang it before the cricket.

Its nice to see young posters on here. Been at football and CCFC well before the cricket!