+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup Final

FA Cup Final

I just found out it’s today! I know I’m not in the UK but I still use all UK media.

How far has it fallen, from the highlight finale of the season, to just another game.

Re: FA Cup Final

I blame Thatcher.

With Glamorgan's game being streamed live and three live football games from three o clock on, my poor dog and cat may struggle to get their afternoon walks today - I'll probably end up taking them during the FA Cup Final as I'm much more interested in the two Play Off matches today than watching Liverpool and Chelsea yet again - the thought of me missing part of an FA Cup Final pre the Premier League to walk my pets would have been too daft for words.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I blame Thatcher.
    thats harsh on Maggie

Major needs to take some of the blame

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    thats harsh on Maggie

Major needs to take some of the blame
    Nothing is too harsh on that witch. She was behind that Euro Super League as well y’know.

It’s all gone downhill since 2008 so it’s Gordon Brown’s fault … or even possibly Stanley Baldwin’s

It's never been the same since they stopped doing Cup Final It's A Knockout.

I think there's a few reasons. I agree with Bobsy about watching Chelsea Vs Liverpool yet again. We get so many opportunities to watch such fixtures in the league and Europe that it hardly has the same excitement, particularly in a tournament many sides use as experience for the reserves.

The earlier rounds are generally more exciting than the later ones.

Play the semis away from Wembley, making the final venue special and more prestigious.

3pm kick off.

No other football on the same day.

Hours of build up on TV.

Exhume Saint and Greavsie.

Etc

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    With Glamorgan's game being streamed live and three live football games from three o clock on, my poor dog and cat may struggle to get their afternoon walks today - I'll probably end up taking them during the FA Cup Final as I'm much more interested in the two Play Off matches today than watching Liverpool and Chelsea yet again - the thought of me missing part of an FA Cup Final pre the Premier League to walk my pets would have been too daft for words.
    Off topic a little, do you take your cat out on a lead , I’ve just got two newish ones and I don’t want to let them out ( unless we are in the garden)

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Off topic a little, do you take your cat out on a lead , I’ve just got two newish ones and I don’t want to let them out ( unless we are in the garden)
    No, she follows about fifty yards behind me and the dog. There were railway tracks behind my house until the 80s, but now it’s a really nice grassy area about the size of two football pitches which means that there’s an almost permanent flow of dogs being walked on there during daytime hours, so she tends to jump on a garden wall when a dog comes along and either catches us up when it’s gone or waits for us to come back. I reckon she’d be in more danger from other dogs if I had her on a lead than she is now.

Pub full predominantly of proud Welshmen supporting Liverpool is hard to stomach as well.

Bring back the songs

Bbc 1 is wall to wall fa Cup all day. What are people asking for? It's top class football on free to air.

Strange how people say they don't want to watch Liverpool Chelsea and all the top teams playing each other again with the top teams dominating the Cup.
    However you can be sure if milwall were in the final today people would be saying the top teams don't take it seriously anymore. They can't win.

Today is 2 of the 3 best teams around playing each other on free to air. OK if you have sky and bt etc it may be boring but fact is most people don't. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Bbc 1 is wall to wall fa Cup all day. What are people asking for? It's top class football on free to air.

Strange how people say they don't want to watch Liverpool Chelsea and all the top teams playing each other again with the top teams dominating the Cup.
    However you can be sure if milwall were in the final today people would be saying the top teams don't take it seriously anymore. They can't win.

Today is 2 of the 3 best teams around playing each other on free to air. OK if you have sky and bt etc it may be boring but fact is most people don't. Enjoy it.
    Hear hear! Great post. This inverse football snobbery cracks me up.

"Oh, I don't like watching the top teams, I'd rather watch Mansfield v Northampton." Well good for you. Along with millions of others, I'd rather watch some of the very best players in the world playing in a cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Hear hear! Great post. This inverse football snobbery cracks me up.

"Oh, I don't like watching the top teams, I'd rather watch Mansfield v Northampton." Well good for you. Along with millions of others, I'd rather watch some of the very best players in the world playing in a cup final.
    I agree with you on this. Wow, that’s a first.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

For me, it’s akin to watching a Wales rugby autumn international against one of New Zealand, Australia or South Africa. Games against those three used to be events to look forward to, but down the years they’ve become stale and I tend to give them a miss now. Leicester winning it last year was good, but it’s same old, same old - there was a time I’d know this without having to look it up, but I find myself wondering if our Final fourteen years ago was the last time at least one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City were not in the Final?

Just looked it up, there’s been one - Man United v Palace in 15/16.

For me, it’s akin to watching a Wales rugby autumn international against one of New Zealand, Australia or South Africa. Games against those three used to be events to look forward to, but down the years they’ve become stale and I tend to give them a miss now. Leicester winning it last year was good, but it’s same old, same old - there was a time I’d know this without having to look it up, but I find myself wondering if our Final fourteen years ago was the last time at least one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City were not in the Final?
    If you add Man Utd to the list, then ours was the only one without at least one of the five since Spurs v Forest in 91.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I agree with you on this. Wow, that’s a first.
    Me too! Feckin hell

Yes the best teams do tend to do the best in the cup as well as the league. Im not sure what the issue is with that though?

Do you see the point im making? Imagine if the likes of Liverpool and man City exited the cup meakly in round 3 every year i guarantee nobody would say how great the cup now is everyone would say the cup is worthless now. And it woulrd be.

They cant win.

Also do you not think that shows how special our cup run was? While it is good fun it would devalue the competition if a lower half championship side got to the final every year. Its only good when it happens as its so rare.

While it may be annoying to some teams like Liverpool and man city try and win the cup as well as the league the alternative would be them not giving a crap about the Cup. We should celebrate the fact the FA Cup lives on and the big teams do care. If they stopped doing so that would be the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Exhume Saint and Greavsie.

Etc
    Made me think of Sam Leitch. His career at that desk probably because it was easier to keep him on than move him.

The only problem with the FA Cup is its relation to the Premier League. Like many others, we rotated the team when we had a sniff of promotion and only put out our strongest team against Mansfield in 2018 cos we had a chance of Man City in the next round. All the marketing of the "magic of the cup" feels a little desperate in the circumstances. The biggest clubs can rotate and still work their way through to the later stages cos of their strength in depth.

Scrap the league cup, that would give it a boost

Wish Chelsea would have worn blue, their players disappear if Liverpool play the ball forward quickly

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Scrap the league cup, that would give it a boost
    Or exclude all sides who’ve qualified for Europe from the FA cup & League Cup, & give a European place to the winners