+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Australian Cricketer Andrew Symonds dies car crash

Australian Cricketer Andrew Symonds dies car crash

Being reported on BBC overnight news.Single car crash apparently.

Held the record for most sixes in an innings (16) made against Glamorgan at Abergavenny in 1995 until Ben Stokes beat it recently. Still (I think) holds the record for most sixes with 20 after he scored 4 more in the second innings of the same match.

Last saw him commentating on the Big Bash competition held in Australia a few months ago.

RIP Andrew.

Re: Australian Cricketer Andrew Symonds dies car crash

Anyone dying at forty six comes as a shock, but there are some people whose early death is not a total surprise and, for reasons I’m not really sure about, Andrew Symonds falls into that category for me. Ironic that he dies in the week his record set at Abergavenny was broken and I think there was a time when he came close to signing for Glamorgan.

A fearsome hitter, fine fielder and a better bowler than he was often given credit for ~ Symonds was one of the most naturally talented players of the last fifty years, if he had weaknesses they were probably down to the game coming too easy to him.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Anyone dying at forty six comes as a shock, but there are some people whose early death is not a total surprise and, for reasons I’m not really sure about, Andrew Symonds falls into that category for me. Ironic that he dies in the week his record set at Abergavenny was broken and I think there was a time when he came close to signing for Glamorgan.

A fearsome hitter, fine fielder and a better bowler than he was often given credit for ~ Symonds was one of the most naturally talented players of the last fifty years, if he had weaknesses they were probably down to the game coming too easy to him.

RIP
    What the hell are you talking about it was a car crash! You really need to say you arent surprised by it? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    What the hell are you talking about it was a car crash! You really need to say you arent surprised by it? Wow.
    I meant precisely what I said. For some reason, I’m not overly surprised he died young. I’m not making any accusations there, just saying what I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I meant precisely what I said. For some reason, I’m not overly surprised he died young. I’m not making any accusations there, just saying what I feel.
    That does sound quite similar to an accusation!

Ive read lots about him this morning from Australia and the UK and you seem to be the only person who isnt surprised by his death in a car crash. Wonder what you knew that nobody else seems to?

That's way too young.

I didn't see that innings at Abergavenny, but I think I did see him play in the Sunday League game that same week (when the 1 day matches used to be in the middle of the 4 day game), at Ebbw Vale, and he hit a load more 6s then as well, if my memory serves me right.

Fantastic batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    That does sound quite similar to an accusation!

Ive read lots about him this morning from Australia and the UK and you seem to be the only person who isnt surprised by his death in a car crash. Wonder what you knew that nobody else seems to?
    What accusation? I specifically said I wasn’t making accusations. All I can say is that, for whatever reason, it didn’t come as a complete shock when I first heard the news, whereas, to use another recently deceased Australian cricketer as an example, I was really shocked to hear that Rodney Marsh, who was more than twenty five years older than Andrew Symonds, was fighting for his life - I agree it makes no sense, but that’s what I felt.

I get where Paul is coming from. Symonds had a rep as a bit of a hell raiser when younger.
    Hugely talented cricketer and very sad he has passed at such a young age.

Pearcey3 and Paul are both correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I get where Paul is coming from. Symonds had a rep as a bit of a hell raiser when younger.
    Hugely talented cricketer and very sad he has passed at such a young age.
    Exactly. Despite TOBW claiming it is just a feeling and no accusations attached at least you have said what that feeling is based on.

Its based on his reputation and when hearing the news of a car crash the first reaction from some has been something like "he had it coming".